Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time i did about 6 minutes and when i went outside to spin track on stand (to free up any ice) it did fine but when i was done doing that and let sled down off jack stand it died and didnt want to stay running unless i gave it throttle. has this ever happened to anyone. it acted like it was out of gas.finally after 16 pulls i got it going and had to hammer on WOT for a while then it ran fine. Could this be plugs starting to foul up and then the high rpms burned the wet plug tips dry?

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
Renegade Scotty said:
ttt
[snapback]738095[/snapback]​
What temps do you run it in? I usually let mine sit until its almost half past the first line. Make sure its nice and warm. And our temps, its defintely usually about 6 mins or so. I dont tihnk its fouling them, maybe just still to cold before you started spinning track?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Plug fouler......

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
If you have a heated shop start the sled up in their open the door let it run for 3-4 minuets and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My sled sits in an unheated shed on a mar lift and on the real cold days I open the door start it and go back in the house to get dressed. When I come back out I spin the track while it's up on the lift then drop it and go. I'm sure some days it idles for 10minutes or more and never fouled a plug......

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
not sure there is a limit... if it is not overheating or plugs are not fouling let it idle... I guess, just not sure why...

A sled needs to idle no more than two to three minutes before take-off even if very cold weather, but just ride it easy for the first 5-10 minutes or so... takes me that long to get loosened up to ride hard anyway...

I always ride slow for the first few minutes anytime the sled has been off for a half hour or more, like after lunch... works for me

5 new sleds in 6 years, probably a total of 12000+ miles and NEVER a motor problem, nada, zip, zero! (3 revs 2 yammies)

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
duramax_diesel_66 said:
streamer said:
On my 600sdi I let it warm up until it comes off high idle.
[snapback]738262[/snapback]​
same thing i do !

[snapback]738311[/snapback]​
When I start mine it idles VERY low. Might need to turn up my idle. It idles at 1500 and when it warms up it goes up to 2-2500. It had teh dreaded plug fouler syndrom before, but thank god its cured.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Renegade Scotty said:
Last time i did about 6 minutes and when i went outside to spin track on stand (to free up any ice) it did fine but when i was done doing that and let sled down off jack stand it died and didnt want to stay running unless i gave it throttle. has this ever happened to anyone. it acted like it was out of gas.finally after 16 pulls i got it going and had to hammer on WOT for a while then it ran fine. Could this be plugs starting to foul up and then the high rpms burned the wet plug tips dry?
[snapback]738055[/snapback]​
warm it up on a stand if its possable..
Idling is not good on the plugs, and you can also over heat the engine if the tunnels not getting snow..
Sounds like you might have done both..
I would worry about the over heating more than the plug issues..
Make sure to warm the belt up good also..

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
i let my sled warm up for like 1 min then take it very easy b4 i get in the throttle hard, usually like 10 min. to let it get fully warmed up.

Andrew

·
DooTalk Goldcard Holder
15,875 Posts
What advantages does "warming it up" bring??? I start mine and let it run for a minute or two max then take off. I was always afraid to let them idle after reading about all of the problems others were having with fouling etc........

1 - 20 of 48 Posts