Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all seen it...

Guys for their own reasons ( I hope) switching from Doo to ????

What I wonder is, at what point do you throw up your hands and say "Screw it !!! I'm not dealing with BRP products anymore !!! "

I realize it's different for everyone, but what would make you switch to a new Apex, or a Crossfire, (just for examples, don't take me literally) ?

And at what point would your riding buddy (or someone who's opinion you valued highly) switching affect your continued support of the REV ???

And......would you continue to visit Dootalk and report back on your new ride ?

just things I've been thinking about lately...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I can't answer that since I will never own anything but a Doo as long as I am alive, been on one my entire life no sence switching now

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well I don't own one anymore, but have in the past. The only thing that turned me off about the rev's was the motor issues (from actual owners).

So if I find another steal deal, I'd rip the entire motor apart and go from there. Don't think I'd buy new, the bad winters we've been having lately doesn't warrant the expense of a new machine to me. Prefer to pay cash.

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
Well i gave up on yamaha after blowing 13 motors in my 440 and 7 motors in my 600's. im sure alot of people would have switched alot faster, i guess im a bit of a slow learner though

·
Registered
719 Posts
I own a cat and a polaris and I think they are both fine machines. I may switch some day in the distant future depending on what the machines boast for comfort/performance. If I did switch, I'd probably look for a web site specific to what I was riding. As of now, I'm all doo and no poo!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have ridden this winter, an '06 Attack, '06 600 ho switchback,'06 fst switchback(this fst has been riddled with problems, starter recall, pops out of gear recall, now the front shock tower is broken and the way it's engineered don't know how their going to fix it), 05 900 Fusion and a '50 F7. All are great sleds in their own right, each has some +'s, all had one thing in common for me after I rode them-no bashing intended-they made me appreciate my REV all the more. For me it's the seat of the pants ride thats going to affect my purchasing decision not a bunch of talk. I rode Cats for 12 yrs straight, when I was ready to buy a new sled, took a ride on a REV and here I am. If someone comes out with something better my butt will know it.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I'm still undecided about whether the series III motors are junk or not. You do hear alot of internet hype about ring problems/etc, but I also think some of those problems might be from people not warming up their sleds properly, and not letting them cool down after a hard run. My 800 got 4,000+ miles before I did a top end, and it was still running OK. I also had the reed cage issue, and the recoil issue, but IMHO while those things are a pain to deal with, they are relatively minor and not actually 'motor' problems. If I can make it another 4,000 with fresh pistons I will be happy with the life of the motor. My only gripe would be that they should put a 'service interval' for pistons/rings right in the owners manual. High performance 2 strokes need top ends, just tell us how often... If yamaha had kept their 2 stroke program going, I might think about a yamaha, but other than that I don't know what I would switch to.

I got to ride a '05 mach z this past weekend, and that pretty much stopped me from thinking about buying anything other than a 'doo. Those things are like a rocket ship that floats a few inches above the moguls.

·
Made Member
2,042 Posts
For me, it is a twofold question. BRP would have to have a pretty serious lapse in performance, service or value to push me away.

Or...someone would have to come out with a product that was so much superior across the board that one would have to be a fool to pass it up. But that would take some doing, I think.

The proof of a sleds superiority would be in the riding and maintenance required to keep the unit on the snow. So I guess that talking to someone with first hand experiance would influance me, but I would still like to think I made up my own mind.

As far as come back here to see you snow junkies, you bet! Either to gloat about my kick-a$$ new sled.............or whine about the piece of junk my friend talked me into buying.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have always been and always will be a doo fan and owner. I admit that I am more of a vintage doo guy tho. I think these new sleds have cool features but lack the styling and great lines of the older generation sleds. One day I will break down and get a newer sled but by then they too will probably be concidered vintage. m2c's

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
Dealer service would have to go completely down hill. I imagine cronic breakdowns would do it.. Either from a poor product design / part quality or dealer support (with company backing). Since I do 90% of the work myself its seldom been an issue. So far (knock on wood) these have all been 99% defect free and I am 100% satisfied. Honestly It would take some really bad treatment to sour me with BRP. (But lets not tell them that...)

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
First, my dealer would have to change or add another brand. Yes, I am dealer loyal as well - they've earned it. Second, ummm, well, ahhh...I guess I'm not sure. Right now I have the best of both worlds. My dealer is top notch and so is my sled. I've looked at others in passing but for me and my riding style so far, no one has even come close. The new Fusion runs good and sucks up the bumps OK, it's just not comfortable. Cat isn't durable enough, and Yamahas are too heavy. Now before the Yammi guys say "you don't feel the weight" I will admit a few things; (1) I haven't had the chance to ride a new Yammi yet. I have spoken with owners who I believe and everyone of them likes their sled but admits it's heavy. (2) I feel weight, maybe more than most. I could feel the difference between my buddys '06 MXZx PT800 w/ e start and my '04 GadeX 600 w/o e start - and so could he. Weight is weight, no matter how you dress it up.

So I guess until someone comes out with a Rev replacement for 1/2 the money and my dealer starts selling them, I guess I'm sticking with Doo.

And if I ever did switch, I'd still come over here; it's fun and entertaining, with a LOT of good people over here. In the mean time...

·
RETIRED
11,148 Posts
the line???.....lets see

stator break down = 1 lost weekend riding

2nd stator break down = 1 lost weekend riding

3rd stator break down= 1 lost weekend riding

spark plug wire breaks while riding, cant find replacement= 1 weekend lost riding time

motor meltdown= 3 weeks lost ride time

a rebuilt recoil fails 2 days after rebuild= 1 lost weekend of riding (no e/s)

2nd motor meltdown= at least 2 weeks lost ride time, so far,( only 500 or 600 miles sence the last rebuild, dealer wont stand by there work after 30 days)

being pulled out of the woods 3 times in 2 years

and a dealer who apairently does not care if he gets my business anymore

aprox 10 weeks of down time in less than 3 years that works out to roughly 1/4 of my total ride time in the last 3 years!!!!
thats unacceptable
and i know im not the only one

if this happened to our cars, trucks boats or street bikes, we would never go back to that co. again, right?

the line?? not sure but its close

unless doo really steps up the engine reliability next year, i might be the artist formally known as mxzrevman

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
mxzrevman said:
the line???.....lets see

spark plug wire breaks while riding, cant find replacement= 1 weekend lost riding time

2nd motor meltdown= at least 2 weeks lost ride time, so far,( only 500 or 600 miles sence the last rebuild, dealer wont stand by there work after 30 days)

aprox 10 weeks of down time in less than 3 years that works out to roughly 1/4 of my total ride time in the last 3 years!!!!
thats unacceptable

if this happened to our cars, trucks boats or street bikes, we would never go back to that co. again, right?

unless doo really steps up the engine reliability next year, i might be the artist formally known as mxzrevman

[snapback]690066[/snapback]​
I think I would have crossed by now...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mxzrevman said:
the line???.....lets see

thats unacceptable

[snapback]690066[/snapback]​
Man, I would have crossed to the dark side a lonnnng time ago, Scotty.
You either have the patience of Job or no snow anyway.....

·
Hold It Wide Open Till You See God
2,311 Posts
Plain and simple.
When I believe someone has designed a better chassis then I will switch.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
papasled said:
We've all seen it...

What I wonder is, at what point do you throw up your hands and say "Screw it !!! I'm not dealing with BRP products anymore !!! "

I realize it's different for everyone, but what would make you switch to a new Apex, or a Crossfire, (just for examples, don't take me literally) ?

And at what point would your riding buddy (or someone who's opinion you valued highly) switching affect your continued support of the REV ???

[snapback]689853[/snapback]​
Stop beating around the bush! What did yellowknife buy?

·
Registered
883 Posts
papasled said:
We've all seen it...

[snapback]689853[/snapback]​
When someone comes out with a better sled than mine or puts a gun to my head

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Never.... dealers are the entire support issue. If you have issues (ALL SLEDS DO) and the dealer takes care of it WITHOUT waiting and beating around the bush with BRP, all problems disapear. I have dealt with www.houseofsportsmc.com for about 20 years and we have had our disagreements, but I have ALWAYS been satisfied with the results. I had a 2003 REV 600 HO with about 1,200 miles on it and wasn't noticing ANY issues. He took it at the end of the season and did the rings just to make sure I didn't have problems the next season. That is what a dealer is suppose to do. That is the reason I drive 5 1/2 hours to get to him although I have a BRP dealer 45 miles from me!

Bottom line.... they all have problems...... the dealer you work with makes the difference in leaving sour tastes in the mouth.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trax said:
Stop beating around the bush! What did yellowknife buy?
[snapback]690340[/snapback]​
*%@ ??? His PT is being rebuilt as we speak...I wasn't inferring that I knew someone who was jumping ship.

All I am doing is posing a question that seems to be underlying a lot of posts on the board lately...which is;

How bad does the BRP product/service have to be before you'd abandon the obviously superior REV platform for a sled that may lack in the ride qualities, but has so-called superior reliability/longevity characteristics.

So far it seems to me that even in the face of some daunting failures the REV is heads above the competition when it runs...

Besides, YK bleeds yellow as far as I know...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts