Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 800 R and my friend has an 800 e tech .He says I should sell it because the New Etech is so much better.I have owned a 2007 Mach Z X for three years and now own a 2010 MXZ X 800R.I always thought the 800r was great for what it is .But sell my sled for 5 horsepower ?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i had a 2011 ptek, others in my group had 2011 etec's,mine was quicker and had more on top than 2 of them .but 1 was quite a bit quicker but had about the same top speed.his would get all of 4 to 5 lenghts on me , then i could reel him in, but it took a mile or more to catch him.the other 2 would be within a lenth of me pretty much all the time,i would say those 2 etecs and mine were really close, but that etec x was really quick compared to our's

·
Can thread basher, DILLIGAF!
1,378 Posts
For the $2-3000 itd cost ya to upgrade to an e-tech and your not lookin for the efficancy factor of an etech. spend less then a $1000 on ur carbed motor and you'll have no prob handling an e-tech. AS of now anyway, $1 for $1 ya can make more power out of a carbed 800.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
For the $2-3000 itd cost ya to upgrade to an e-tech and your not lookin for the efficancy factor of an etech. spend less then a $1000 on ur carbed motor and you'll have no prob handling an e-tech. AS of now anyway, $1 for $1 ya can make more power out of a carbed 800.
x2

·
Registered
885 Posts
I went to a local drag race last winter an 800 etec X cleaned up on everything else there. Even beat some improved sleds.. They haul "edit for bad language". I had an 800R and it worked like a pile. My 2010 1200 Tnt would have killed it. Hopefully I have the same luck with the 800 etex X I just bought.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I have had both a 2009 ptek 800 and a 2011 Etec 800. Both were great sleds. Ptek is much easier to make gains over stock. A well set up ptek will beat most Etec except in the fuel mileage. If its performance you want and to be able to tune your sled wait another year to upgrade. Etec can be improved on from stock but good luck I tried about every combo of springs, helixs and gears last winter. Must admit the Etec is very impressive but the sweet spot is very easy to over look when tuning. The Etec has great bottem end torque and loves to be clutched to use it. At the end of the winter I was engageing down around the 3000 mark with the best results and keeping top rpms at 7800-7900 never over 8000. For the money I would keep the Ptek if I was going to do it again.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I've had the 08 and 09 Ptek 800R and they ran great. My 11 ETEC eats them both for lunch!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if this is true but there was a post on here about a month ago about the 800 etec stating that in 2011 the summit motors were the true 160 plus hp but the short tracks were dimmed down a little in comparrision. However for 2012 all the motors will be running the 160 hp as claimed when the new etec was introduced and there will be no differences between the long and short track motors. Again I read this and wish I could remember the exact topic name because I found that to be very interesting that doo would do that. Hopefully the rumor is true if anyone has some info on it I'm sure all would be interested to hear it may entice some ptek owners into buying a new etec

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
I have an 800 R and my friend has an 800 e tech .He says I should sell it because the New Etech is so much better.I have owned a 2007 Mach Z X for three years and now own a 2010 MXZ X 800R.I always thought the 800r was great for what it is .But sell my sled for 5 horsepower ?
If you are a pull and go type of rider and are perfectly happy on a stock machine then yes the Etec is a good out of the box sled. Now if you are the type that likes to hot rod it up and mod this and that (motor wise), then the Ptek is your ticket. Right now the Etec really limits you to what can be done, maybe down the road the options will be there for modding. It doesn't take much to make the Ptek run with or ahead of the Etec, I ride with a buddy on the 163 X Etec and he's always bragging about his fuel savings, well If I was concerned about fuel savings I probably wouldn't be snowmobiling, let alone be riding an 800cc machine, as you can see by my signature I'm not too worried about fuel savings. I will say those Etec's sure do get heavy after you dig them out all day

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Not sure if this is true but there was a post on here about a month ago about the 800 etec stating that in 2011 the summit motors were the true 160 plus hp but the short tracks were dimmed down a little in comparrision. However for 2012 all the motors will be running the 160 hp as claimed when the new etec was introduced and there will be no differences between the long and short track motors. Again I read this and wish I could remember the exact topic name because I found that to be very interesting that doo would do that. Hopefully the rumor is true if anyone has some info on it I'm sure all would be interested to hear it may entice some ptek owners into buying a new etec
That was BigJohn stated:
"FYI- the 2011 800 ETEC was in 2 trim levels...mxz/ren and summit

the summit makes about 5 more hp (actually a solid 160+)VS 155ish (NOT 163.8-LOL)...

the 2012's are ALL the summit trim level except the 2 probe pipe...summit keeps that...soooo if you thought your mxz/ren was fast this year or want a little more, here ya go..."

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
Here's a link:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=451188&st=30

It's post #: 38 - Course he never said exactly what the differences were between the two " trim levels". I bet this explains why the early release 2010.5s were faster than the full production 2011s. I just hope they run "safe". The more power the better but personally I don't mind sacrificing a tiny amount of performance for reliability sake. I thnk my 09 P-Tek has more than enough power... Does anybody have access to a 2012 tech update manual??? What's the differences??? Here's the full post:

" FYI- the 2011 800 ETEC was in 2 trim levels...mxz/ren and summit

the summit makes about 5 more hp (actually a solid 160+)VS 155ish (NOT 163.8-LOL)...

the 2012's are ALL the summit trim level except the 2 probe pipe...summit keeps that...soooo if you thought your mxz/ren was fast this year or want a little more, here ya go...

I can tell a 146 summit with a low lugged track sent every etec shorty home...even top end...and after some poking/proding i found out there was 2 diff motors...BJ "

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Here's a link:

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=451188&st=30

It's post #: 38 - Course he never said exactly what the differences were between the two " trim levels". I bet this explains why the early release 2010.5s were faster than the full production 2011s. I just hope they run "safe". The more power the better but personally I don't mind sacrificing a tiny amount of performance for reliability sake. I thnk my 09 P-Tek has more than enough power... Does anybody have access to a 2012 tech update manual??? What's the differences??? Here's the full post:

" FYI- the 2011 800 ETEC was in 2 trim levels...mxz/ren and summit

the 2012's are ALL the summit trim level except the 2 probe pipe...summit keeps that...soooo if you thought your mxz/ren was fast this year or want a little more, here ya go...

I can tell a 146 summit with a low lugged track sent every etec shorty home...even top end...and after some poking/proding i found out there was 2 diff motors...BJ "
but why would doo have two of the same motor with diff hp's that makes no sence?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have both, an '08 and an '11. The e-tec is hands down a better machine, lighter throttle pull, seems more linear, and will eat my modded '08 across the board. I have to use the happy button on my '08 to pull ahead of the e-tec.

·
Registered
252 Posts
my etec pulls every ptec i have rode with, and not heard of different power for 800 etecs motors. maybe they put wrong one in my sled! haha

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
ya I'd like to see a little more proof on this.
It's called elevation boys. Two strokes lose a percentage of their hp every 1000' or so. That and with the less dense air they can get away with things like running leaner / higher compression etc... It's not uncommon, Doo has been doing this for years. They come out with new engines and test them in the mountains and then bring them to the flatland crowd / masses after they make sure they will run safe at sea level / lower elevations. When the 800 HO came out it was a Summit only mill in 03 it wasn't till 04 that the shorties got it. Same with the 800R, back in 07 it was a Summit only mill and then in 08 they dropped it in the shorty XPs. Even when both the nose bleed models and the shorties have the "same" engine it's not uncommon to have two different "calibrations" with the mountain version running higher compression etc...Doo must've determined that it was safe to run the mountain calibration at lower elevations and that's why there's a change for 2012....

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
It's called elevation boys. Two strokes lose a percentage of their hp every 1000' or so. That and with the less dense air they can get away with things like running leaner / higher compression etc... It's not uncommon, Doo has been doing this for years. They come out with new engines and test them in the mountains and then bring them to the flatland crowd / masses after they make sure they will run safe at sea level / lower elevations. When the 800 HO came out it was a Summit only mill in 03 it wasn't till 04 that the shorties got it. Same with the 800R, back in 07 it was a Summit only mill and then in 08 they dropped it in the shorty XPs. Even when both the nose bleed models and the shorties have the "same" engine it's not uncommon to have two different "calibrations" with the mountain version running higher compression etc...Doo must've determined that it was safe to run the mountain calibration at lower elevations and that's why there's a change for 2012....
wow i just learned something i never knew that

1 - 20 of 53 Posts