Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well few of us decided to take a small trip to crannberry like we do alot every year. Part way there we met up with other freinds from neighboring town and decided to ride together. We got up to the crannberry Inn our first group went in to the dinning room to get a bite to heat Oh and get first aid ( I burnt my hand on muffler I guess I took all warning labels off to soon). After a bit went out where the others were. They said they were going further yet seen we have some snow take advantage of it while we can but they said one rider headed home For he had plans This was about 3 Pm Yesterday (sunday). So the rest of us took off. The further we went the better the trails became we even ended up finding some trails that had not been riddin yet this year what a blast. Started in th ehome ward bound direction and ended up at a neighboring town bar/restraunt. While there the guy that left to go home at three his wife called looking for him. We not sure if something happened or if he was just at a buddys house. So we continued through when we got to our next stop the phone rang again. Her again so we tried calling his buddy s house where we thought he would be NO ANSWER. FEw of us Had started to drink and dont like to drive after drinking so we said we were heading home while the others that were ok would head back out lookin for him. I just found out they found him walking about an hour ago now 10:30 am monday.

Aparently his sled broke down. Luckaly for him those riders including him always take such long rides they all have those Hotdoggers Atatched to their mufflers full of food. So He had food and he had started a fire to keep warm. I am still waiting on more details on his ok ness But apparently all is well. For he had Food and Fire. I see people laugh at tohers when they see others carrying so many supplies but you never doo know what could happen.

So I was hopeing that this topic could be of others bragging, explaining, mentioning, or what ever on what one does or what one should carry at all times. Please no bashing no trash talking .

Ill start it off my self with a few;

Siphone Hose (incase one needs gas)
Spare plugs Spare belt
Food even if its a candy bar (or get the hot dogger and keep it full)
Rope Tow rope or strap
Lighter or Matches
Cell phone
Extra money tucked for emergency use ( some people will not help with out money)
Duct Tape
Few tools usually comes with the sled
Extra Dry clean socks, and sweater or sweatshirt.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I always bring a long a large needle and thread (fishing cord, etc...) 2 reasons, in case I need to sew up a coat, etc... or in worse case, skin! Go and buy a self contained emergency kit at an outdoors store. No chepo's here. I found one that they are marketing for snowmobiles, etc... Has emergency equipment like gauze, etc.. and also zipper ends, little buckles and things that may break. Nice little package about 3 pounds.

One of the most important things is to tell someone where you are going!

·
Registered
41 Posts
a flash light is a good thing , one with led work fine , light way better than one with a bulb and the batteries tuff longer ,mine fit in the tool kit that come with the sled

·
Registered
89 Posts
I probably carry too much stuff but I will not die in the woods at night
. I carry spare parts including nuts, bolts,idler bearing and spare clip, terminals and bulbs, tie wraps and duct tape.
spare tether cord
First aid gear( real stuff, not a 5 dollar jiffy kit)
Water proof matches and fire starter sticks.
A survival blanket
tin cup for melting snow in ( don't eat snow, it will kill you slowly)
granola bars ( survival food)
2 tow straps and two lengths of 1/4 inch poly rope( make a tent with blanket if necessary)
a small folding saw, a swiss army knife, assortment of small hand tools, small scocket set( sled tools suck) a multi tip style screw driver, a leather man or two,two flashlights because one might fail
and of course a fully charged cell phone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good ideas. I need to remember to pack a siphon hose next time. I was wondering if you see many carrying a shovel (trenching tool). The military kind that fold may come in handy for digging out when you get stuck alone. (happened once) Had to walk 3 miles to get off a abandon logger trail to the main road. Found help there. Still haven't packed the shovel..................
I carry what most do:
matches and a lighter
energy bars
GPS
compass
rope
knife
tools (sled pack)
plugs
belt
map
toilet paper

cell phone extra battery
water in backpack bladder
If I don't need some of this stuff I may run across someone who might.
I'm not one of those who help for cash, I have never met one but I'm sure they are out there. I love to help people.

·
Registered
557 Posts
flashlight
lighter
spare plugs
spare belt
cell phone
ratchet comealong strap
bottle of water
chocolate bars
the ol' trusty leatherman
small sewing kit
bandaids
tool kit (with a few wrenchs added)

Thats about it, im always with 2 or more guys when I ride so I try not to worry about it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
A can of Zippo lighter fluid is good to carry along with some small starter logs for a fire. Sometimes at night its fun to have a fire out in the woods when riding.

Oh yeah and you can carry all this stuff on you in your survival pack like i have.

I recommend buying one of these you won't regret it. I store most everything right inside it. I also carry a saw and a shovel along with pretty much everything the rest of you guys listed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Two tow straps
Duct Tape
First Aid Kit
Two Adjustable Wrenches
Siphon Hose
Power Bars
GPS/w extra batteries.
Cell Phone
Spare Gloves
Lighter and Matches
Leatherman

I am always using this stuff for one thing or another....The new rev has a nice trunk so there's plenty of room, but sometimes if we go on a long trip, I take a small hip pack...

·
Super Mega Wicked Advanced Member
2,041 Posts
I'm sure some of you might think this is funny but being in good shape is one of the best things you can do to increase your chances of survival. We had a couple of guys die of heart attacks last year after getting stuck.

I'm guilty of starting this season out of shape and I've already had my wake up call. I was out by myself and got stuck bad. It took me an hour to dig my Rev out and I thought I was going to have a heart attack myself.

So take care of yourslef boys (and gals).

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WoW I am surprised on some of these replies. Impressed too. SOme of the items you all mentioned I Never thought of. Now For some of you with the large list. One Question comes to mind. WHere The Heck Doo You Carry These Items. Some I would assume to be in your pockets and others in your (trunk) but some I have no idea.
thanks all for the great replies I usually carry the few basics but that night I had forgot just about everything And luckaly for me I had no incident. And the one that did was suplied well..

·
Registered
870 Posts
The compass is key.........I've been carrying the same one for years (about the size of a quarter) saved our asses a few times. First got it when I was about 8 years old, I was out riding with my dad and Uncle and they got lost as all hell, they're staring at the map argueing about what direction we are heading and I'm sitting there trying to tell them that I had my compass and it was one of those " Don't bother us, we're trying to figure out which way to go" I finally got they're attention and my dads like "Why didn't you tell us you had a compass"...........dumbass!

My dad still tells that story to this day and always asks me if I have my trusty compass when I go on trips.

We also started carrying a pair of those Motorola walkie talkie things. Trailboss has one and the last guy carries one, came in handy a few times when the group gets seperated and you can't get a cellphone signal up in Gods country.

·
Super Mega Wicked Advanced Member
2,041 Posts
My buddy had a bag on his led with everything you need, GPS, cell phone, food everything.....but it didn't help when the sled went under the ice and he was sitting on the shore of the river.

·
Registered
373 Posts
a little ice jig stick and a fold up ice auger just in case u get stranded near a river and need food

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
formajim said:
I always bring a long a large needle and thread (fishing cord, etc...) 2 reasons, in case I need to sew up a coat, etc... or in worse case, skin! Go and buy a self contained emergency kit at an outdoors store. No chepo's here. I found one that they are marketing for snowmobiles, etc... Has emergency equipment like gauze, etc.. and also zipper ends, little buckles and things that may break. Nice little package about 3 pounds.

One of the most important things is to tell someone where you are going!
[snapback]260202[/snapback]​
formmajim....as crazy as it sounds about the needle and thread and sewing skin,,,,cuz...think about it, it you get cut/injured out on the trail, its probably not gonna be small where a band aid will take care of it. i thought about this, and after reading this thread i'm gonna add to my case , a femine napkin, grab one of those "lite days" pads.....they're probably great for stopping/soaking up blood. put that on the injury and duct tape over it, it should be enough to get you or the person out to the next road crossing.

yeah......i know.....but it something to think about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The first-aid kits you find in the stores work great if you cut your finger but sledding accidents require a bit more care. I started setting up a compact first-aid kit and tool kit. Very important for first aid would be rolls of gauze, ACE bandages …. Good for everything including splints, anti-bacterial wipes, space blankets, a 5'-8' piece of plastic… keeps you dry, pocket Kleenex, pocket warmers.

What have been the most necessary tools you have had along? I have a stubby ratchet, all necessary sockets stringed together on a leather shoestring, combo screwdriver….

Someone I work with is a volunteer fman and suggested Galls for First-aid and Trauma Kits. this one looks decent. it can be duplicated easily.

http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=gen...e=FK718&cat=465

1 - 17 of 17 Posts