Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rented a sled from Als ATV rental in Iron river Wisconsin 2 weeks ago for the women and now I have another one set up to rent this weekend. Well 2 weeks ago she had a 2001 500 fan that was pretty beat up and didnt run real great to begin with. Well she came over a drift and didnt even land that hard and the windshield shroud came out. The one broke and the others just popped off. Which always happened to my old 99 formula III as well. So I figured no big deal and just found the remaining gromets in the motor and put it back on. Well when we took it back the kid working there came out and asked what happened since I guess a piece of the trim was gone? I told him the story and he looked around the windshield and said the front part was cracked too. I said well it did pop off the one time, but didnt pay too much attention to it cause it happened all the time when I had that type of sled. Well I got a call from the owner today saying that we owe him $105 for the new windshield and the part underneath the windshield. I said how the heck could that have happened from coming over a drift?? He said its very common on those types of sleds. I said yeah for the windshield to pop off like it did, but not the whole thing breaking! He just kept coming off like it always happens and he got us a deal on parts so it only costs us that much. I mean I am more than willing to help out if we broke something that bad, especially if we were out beating the heck out of it. But my girl was driving and I think the top speed she got up to was 50 down a long road. Well I want to tell the guy to get bent, but he is the only place around there to rent sleds so I am kind of in a rut here. What would you guys do??
 

·
planes take off against the wind
Joined
·
15,035 Posts
what did you sign?
Thats whats there to protect you and the owner.... buyer beware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,080 Posts
def. agree with the above two posts. consent forms are what are needed to protect yourself. if you didn't sign anything, it's going to be tough to get out of it.

edit: also, you may just want to pay it since you said it's the only place to rent around there and hopefully it won't happen again. at least you didnt catch a tree and bend the trailing arm and shock in half. THAT would be expensive. not that i know about that.............................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
That is the problem with renting things. I can understand the frustration from both parties. There are a lot of people that rent things and beat the cajesus out of rentals that can result in high repair bills for others or the owners down the road. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that treat rentals normal and get stuck with unneccessary bills. I would be as honest as possible with the owner.
-Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,067 Posts
You are going to end up paying. For the price of two rentals and the repair bills you could have bought a nice little beater sled for your daughter.
 

·
found elsewhere
Joined
·
11,916 Posts
TeamScream said:
That is the problem with renting things. I can understand the frustration from both parties. There are a lot of people that rent things and beat the cajesus out of rentals that can result in high repair bills for others or the owners down the road. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that treat rentals normal and get stuck with unneccessary bills. I would be as honest as possible with the owner.
-Good luck

[snapback]751375[/snapback]​
when u coming up riding so I can put the smackdown on your sled
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
price the parts , is his price ridiculous or is it reasonable , do you really want your name smeared for a 100 bucks . pay shake and walk away everybody is happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,756 Posts
MTM said:
TeamScream said:
That is the problem with renting things. I can understand the frustration from both parties. There are a lot of people that rent things and beat the cajesus out of rentals that can result in high repair bills for others or the owners down the road. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that treat rentals normal and get stuck with unneccessary bills. I would be as honest as possible with the owner.
-Good luck

[snapback]751375[/snapback]​
when u coming up riding so I can put the smackdown on your sled
[snapback]751383[/snapback]​
A big group of us are coming up in your neck of the woods on the weekend of March 18th
. We are staying on Lake Vermillion. You could try to keep up with me on the trails then!!!
 

·
found elsewhere
Joined
·
11,916 Posts
TeamScream said:
MTM said:
TeamScream said:
That is the problem with renting things. I can understand the frustration from both parties. There are a lot of people that rent things and beat the cajesus out of rentals that can result in high repair bills for others or the owners down the road. On the other hand, there are a lot of people that treat rentals normal and get stuck with unneccessary bills. I would be as honest as possible with the owner.
-Good luck

[snapback]751375[/snapback]​
when u coming up riding so I can put the smackdown on your sled
[snapback]751383[/snapback]​
A big group of us are coming up in your neck of the woods on the weekend of March 18th
. We are staying on Lake Vermillion. You could try to keep up with me on the trails then!!!

[snapback]751450[/snapback]​
Im set up for the lakes only. Lets hope there IS still trails by then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
skidont said:
just pay it and forget it , after that go to Brule Sports and rent a rev
[snapback]751489[/snapback]​
I would have loved to rent a rev from the Brule sports guys, but they dont rent anymore. I was shocked. They were the ones that everyone knows about. And they were great to work with. This Als place has only a few revs and says they are always rented. But when we were there last week he had the one sitting out all day. Nobody had rented it! And he sold the only other good sled which was a 2002 mxz 600. Which was also beat to snot! I cant remember if we signed an insurance waiver. There was only this kid working and he didnt know schit from putty. And there were some other guys trying to rent at the same time and it was just a Zoo trying to get this one. I will probably have to just bite this one and hopefully never have to deal with them again after this weekend. If nothing happens to this sled! Hopefully next year we will have gotten the Women (girlfriend) a sled. It was supposed to be a one time trip to see if she even liked riding the trails and now its all she talks about. She finally understands the passion sledding.

MTM, how much farther past duluth do you live?? They had 3 ft of snow when we were up there 2 weeks ago. Tons of guys riding and the trails were still great! Otherwise I would love to come up and send you to school!
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top