Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Buy the new 165" summit x 850
Or
Turbo the 2012 163" Summit x and buy the new sled next year after its proven and they have aftermarket parts for it?

The 12 has been a good sled to me. That's why I'm unsure if I want to just keep it as a backup or turbo it and take it us the next level?

·
Registered
45 Posts
You should stop putting money into the xp. It will never be as nimble as the new sled. Lots of positive changes with the 15/16 models. The ds3 skis deeper keel and new shape, ras2 with more travel and new geometry, relocated rear skid mounting locations that move lower and back about an inch, and drop and roll on the t3 all lead to the t3 models being able to hold a side hill easier. They are just easier to get leaned over and feel lighter once they are on their side. Can only imagine what 17 has to offer.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was tempted to go for the 850, but given my work depends on oil, I'm staying on the '12 for another year, looking at an 872 instead of a turbo though.

Big things for me are 1) 18 grand for a machine I might get to the west coast 3 or 4 trips a year stings a bit and 2) It'd be nice to get kinks worked out, if any. There shouldn't be, but you know how it is.

02Sedona - In terms of nimble-ness, other than t-motion what real upgrades sets apart the XM from the XP? For myself, i couldn't see enough to spend another few grand to get there. That being said, now that the seaon is closing here, there's lots of 13's creeping down in price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Given the way winters are shifting save the money and buy gas for your current sled, maybe take a trip to BC and rent a sled for a weekend. That being said if your heart is on an upgrade there are good deals out there. I got a smoking deal on a '14 and I'm sure there will be some 15's hitting the market soon as people trade in for '17s.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of great points, my work is also depdenant on oil but a new sled wont make or break me.

Useage isnt an issue, i live on a mountain and can leave from my house dec1 to march 31

I'm not interested in a 15/16(unless its cheap with a tss turbo), I'm looking for more power

·
Registered
957 Posts
Get a new one. If u turbo the 12 it's gonna turn into a money pit. When u put all that power through a motor / drive train that's only designed for 160 HP stuff breaks all the time on a new one, on a old one u will be wrenching almost every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Imo I would sell that 12 while you can still get something reasonable for it save the $$$ you would spend on the turbo an get into a 15 or 16, if you not set on getting a 17.
Just like one said the 12 will start to be a $$$ pit, an I got one of those wish I sold it years ago before I bb it when I could have still got something for it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is you can't get anything for it, people have them listed at 6-7 g and they have been on there all winter. But none the less I will happily keep it as a spare for me and my buddies.

I'm gonna pull the trigger on a new one. I don't think they will have many bugs to work out and I don't think there gonna drop much in price if any next year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your 12 most likely will have the same if not better resale next fall when people are shopping for used sleds. This time of year you get the bargain hunters. Won't hurt to put it up for sale though.
I can only imagine how sweet the new sled is going to be. My xm makes it feel like a whole new sport compared to my old Polaris iq . This new sled will probably have the same effect. If you have been happy with the stock motor on your 12, then the big bore feel of the 17 should make you forget about a turbo for at least the first year of owning it. No reason to void the warranty right off the get go

·
Registered
50 Posts
Good choice on new. Can't get anything for a modded machine. Sold my 860 this fall and bought a barely used 15 XM and I love it. The new one looks beauty, gonna wait a year though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Would sell the 12' stash the cash and wait for the next promo skidoo does for the 16' models, since they are an at an established point in the xm chassis production span.

The 17' seems pretty awesome.... but if i got a 17' i would probably get the freeride which is still an xm.

·
"The most hated man on DooTalk"
20,506 Posts
Good choice on the 850! Still trying to figure out a way I can fit one into the budget for next season :lol:

·
Sponsors
3,964 Posts
I would Buy the new 850 & keep your 12 if ya can swing it, so you can introduce new people to the addiction of sledding. :ridedoo:

I'm planning on a 850 Summit X 165 3" and keeping my 13 Summit X 163 but not really as a back up ( not really worried about the new Sled) but because I'm not done modifying the 13 :rockindude:

Reactions: boondocker2213

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The oil canister lid is a male insert and the bottle is away from the plastics enough that it won't deform so anyone who was worried about oil on the belt,it won't be an issue

1 - 20 of 34 Posts