E-Tec Rules
33,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2010 600 etec 10600 miles zero compression on one side,

what would you do?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
go bigger, the difference in cost cant be that much. 800 out of a wrecked sled?

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
You can find a used 600 at any scrap yard, eBay, these classifieds. But you still have 10,000 on the rest of the chassis. It's gonna nickle and dime you from here out. Part it out and pick up something newer.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A. Make sure insurance is updated. Match+ gasoline

B. Leave on the side of the road and report stolen. Someone will grab it and fix or sell for scrap.

C. Find a wrecked 600 or 800 online and do engine swap

D. Find a 600 engine and swap in

BTW, I was just kidding about A & B

·
Semi-professional Opinion Maker
1,003 Posts
I'd rebuild it. It ain't worth squat the way it is. In all reality the seasons toast. If you're looking to rebuild it yourself it would give you some summer snowmobile garage time. If it was mine, after I rebuilt it I'd keep it around as a backup/friend sled. And look into a newer used sled.

·
Registered
125 Posts
A matter of time & money, different with each individual. PS Thank you for sharing this oddessy with us, gives some insight if ever facing a similar situation.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Buy a new Short Block from Doo.

Reactions: paul yarek

·
Registered
194 Posts
I feel like I am in a similar situation. 2010 800 Ptek, still running with 8000 miles on it.

Sled runs great. have not checked compression, but it switches to reverse with no issues. Put a track on it two years ago that only had 1500 miles on it. Just bought a clutch rebuild kit as all I have done to date is clean the clutches.

I have chosen REBUILD for your post and for my own sled. Figure I can rebuild the motor for around $1000 myself, with new crank and pistons. Sell it an I get ~$4000, maybe. Can't go buy a 2013 800 etec with Rmotion for the sell + rebuild value and I can't see buying something newer without making the leap to a 13 model. Even if I stuck another $1000 into things like shock rebuild, new boggie wheels, bushings, etc., I am still money ahead of trying to replace it. So, it is cheaper to keep what I have and rebuild it.

Guess it is also an easier decision since this is the sled my son drives. :cool_old:

Mine is a 2015 800x renegade. Gotta save cash for my upgrade in 2 years.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
What your end game?

Do u love the sled? Rebuild it after finding out why it went down.( leak test first)

Want money to put towards a new sled? Part it out. A friend that had a zx go down three years ago was gonna rebuild and sell it. Made 1400$ more selling the part then if he had spent 1400$ to fix the motor and sellit it running for for 3000$

My 800 went down last weekend and it's not worth it to fix it as I want a 1200. So I'm parting it out

1 - 20 of 47 Posts