Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive went through 2 belts in about a 100 miles.. it looks like to me that heat is causing the belt to come apart?? its on a rev 800... but heres one thing to it.. we have been riding on a ski slope and they are blowing snow.. some of the piles are 4 5 6 feet deep.. the sled is deff taking a beating going through this deep snow its got a stock 1inch track that is hammeredd.... im sure thats not helping.. but we are riding the ski slopes and are WOT most of the time.. especially through the deep powder got stuck a couple of times.. but what would cause a belt to come apart like this??? and i noticed that only on the ski slopes is where im blowing belts.. we did a 100 mile ride on the trails and i was fine.. i would like to figure this out by tomorow because we are going on a trip and wanna go but dont wanna keep blowing belts...

View attachment 276985

View attachment 276987

Shoe Automotive tire Plant Synthetic rubber Grey

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I blew my first belt this year after riding 13 years without ever blowing a belt. The belt I blew was the original belt that came on the sled when I bought new, it had about a 1000 miles on it of mostly trail miles, some off trail, when I blew I was running deep pow all day like you were with WOT. I think they just get hot and come apart. I am buying that new clutch cover that is on the 2013 sleds it will fit my 2011 it has the spare belt storage built in and is suppose to keep the belt cooler, I think there around $60-$70 bucks. My 2cents

·
Registered
683 Posts
Bushings in primary and secondary might be worn out, I had same problem chewing belts, I'm in the process of changing mine now, could be clutch alignment also?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also noticed blowing a belt can get a nice clean engine and clutch filthy with belt dust and pcs of crap everywhere. Had to clean her up alot.

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
That belt is shot. It looks like it was shot before you put it on. Looks like it was smoked a couple times. When the sled is stuck from sitting all night, you have to break everything loose before you try to ride. That is one reason belts look like that. Mis alinged clutches, broken clutch spring's, wrong belt. Basically abuse is what causes most of that kind of belt damage. Buy a new belt, wash it with dawn dish soap, and ride it easy for the first 50 miles.

Common sense goes a long way when it comes to motorsports.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Heat,heat and more heat. You have no air moving under the hood to help keep it cool. Your basically hill climbing and or boondocking and your clutching isn't set for type of riding. If your going to continue this way, throw more weight in the primary and run a harder compound belt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i figured it was from the heat... the springs and bushings are good.. i checked alignement not with the tool but put a straight edge in there i konw its not the right way but it looked pretty good.. . deflection was right and that was a brand new belt...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts