Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
I'm really torn. In the past I waited until something " big " came out that really made me want to upgrade and then I usually waited till year #2 for any bugs to get worked out. Things like the original Rev, I picked up an 04 800 HO. Or the XP with it's 50 lb weight reduction and more powerful 800R engine, I picked up an 09. And most recently the R-Motion suspension. If I decide to order this year it will be for other reasons. Namely the timing being right for selling my current sled (1 year of warranty left good through Dec 2015, fresh top end this summer thanks to the recall, & not too many miles: 3,400). The other big reason is my financial situation changing which is pushing me towards a 4-stroke as I may need to keep my next sled for an extended period of time. Don't get me wrong there's other things that make me want to try a 4 stroke like the boat load of mid-range torque they throw out, no adding / buying injector oil, being able to run the cheaper 87 octane etc... At first I was all ready to do it. I like the graphics on the 2015 Gade 1200 X and at least I would get the 137" version of the RM which should ride just that much better. And there's the new front end of course so at least it's got something new. On the other hand I really like / am happy with my 800 E-Tec. Do I whip out the old check book for the exact same engine & plastic combo I could've orderd back in the spring of 2008 or do I wait for something new and hope I can somehow afford it ???

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
I read it that you have already talked yourself in to it and you are wanting permission .......... the 15 Gade X 1200 is the no brainer.......lol

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
rode my 13 800 x ren last yr 4600 mile parked it and bought the 14 1200 x gade and currently have 3930 mile on it and i got to tell ya i like 1200 x better so much better that i sold the 13 800 x and will be buying the 15 1200 x ren also. I no it has not changed but i do like to ride the old xr more than the xs chassis. Better wind pertection on xr also and i also love the fact of not carrying any two stroke oil around . Another big thing for me is i went throught almost 8 gallon of synthetic oil last yr in 4600 mile not complaning as i was happy with that but the oil change kit i bought to change my oil at 500 mile was 68.00 so with the miles i ride it is saving me money to own the 1200, plus i can put 87 octane in it. Hope this helps ya out. Buy the 1200

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I got a MXZ 800 and going to the 1200 after having tried the Renegade 1200 and Renegade 800.. you save 70$ a day plus same performance up to 85 mph, then the 800 creeps ahead..i will put in a few simple mods and get the 1200 woken up..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I am also in the do I keep riding 800s or get me a nice 4 stroke. I am pretty much decided on making the switch just not sure what brand im going to be picking up. It just seems to make sense to switch to me, no more excessive piles of oil jugs laying in my garage, never a worry of I wonder if this thing will blow up today in the back of your mind.

After reading what I just typed out I have made up my mind to make the switch :tongue_old:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got a MXZ 800 and going to the 1200 after having tried the Renegade 1200 and Renegade 800.. you save 70$ a day plus same performance up to 85 mph, then the 800 creeps ahead..i will put in a few simple mods and get the 1200 woken up..
What 800 are you running (and how many miles a day?) that is $70 a day to operate more expensive than a 1200?
My 800 etec is always more fuel eff than the 1200's I ride with - but it's a wash with reg vs hi test.
A full oil tank will last > 500 miles on the 800, but you also have to factor in 1200 oil change.

While I agree in a season of 2,000 miles - the 1200 operating costs will be $120-$150 less, but not $70 per day, IMO.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
What 800 are you running (and how many miles a day?) that is $70 a day to operate more expensive than a 1200?
My 800 etec is always more fuel eff than the 1200's I ride with - but it's a wash with reg vs hi test.
A full oil tank will last > 500 miles on the 800, but you also have to factor in 1200 oil change.

While I agree in a season of 2,000 miles - the 1200 operating costs will be $120-$150 less, but not $70 per day, IMO.
Well, i rode 5 days with an 1200 always 3-5 litres less fill ups, plus super instead of regular and 15$ oïl ... total for 250 miles: 60-70$ pretty much every day.. rode hard .. when ridden easy, it was closer mileage but still 0.10$ more a litre plus 30$ of oïl a day or more...

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I mean, if there was a real difference in acceleration, i would have been ok with that.. still 1500$ a year more but .... when i realized the two sleds where side by side up to 85 mph..then i was bumed.. and since now i know i can squeeze a 10 mph more out of the 1200 ... well that closed the deal for me..handling was more nimble on the 800 at slow speeds , in real tight twisties wich i hate, and in the continuous bumps, ok, the 800 is ahead.. but thèse are not what i look for..i prefer long and fast twisties, and the 1200 shines in those conditions...

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I'd never go back to a 800 etec after owning a hopped up 1200.
If money in the future is going to be an issue, definitely sell it while it's still worth something, and enjoy a sled that you won't have to worry about the engine. Ever.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,983 Posts
I've been calling around and prices are high this year. I say you want one buy it now before it goes up next year.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Used to have a GSX se 1200, now same 800. Both are fun !!! Try a new upgrade. If it does not work out ,sell it, and buy something different. :cool_old:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I sold three of them this year, Only two of them got the 1200. The third guy will be buying a 15 as he couldn't find a X. It only took about 50 miles on my sled to have them get rid of there 800's.

See if you can find one to ride around you. it only took me les than 25 miles to make my mind up and switch.

Never been happier with a sled than the 1200.

Reactions: badaval60

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Me i went to a big rental place and rented 4h on the 800 renegade x then 4 hours on the 1200 renegade x.. they where both as much fun..so the 1200 won for practical reasons..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Used to have a GSX se 1200, now same 800. Both are fun !!! Try a new upgrade. If it does not work out ,sell it, and buy something different. :cool_old:
Same here - 2011 1200 GSX to 2012 800 GSX.
Just put in a Cudney clutch kit in the 800, really woke it up - as stock 800 GSX clutching and gearing is totally different than the 800 renegades.
A lot if the trails around here you can be to the bar a lot. Saw triple digits on some fields (no one around - see for miles) earlier this evening. The 1200 GSX with header and clutch kit wouldn't pull that in the warm conditions and soft snow conditions.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Just get a 900.. Those guys are saying 95 mph and good punch from 50mph plus 25mpg. etc. etc. I think there might be a little too much enthusiasm on the 900 forum but those guys sure love their sleds.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I'm Only An Hour Or So North Of You. Awesome Trails Up Here.

Come Up For A Ride! Only Problem Is Mine Is Now Sporting A 2" Challenger So You Won't Feel Much traction On A Hard Trail

1 - 20 of 46 Posts