Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting
PTO bearing went two seasons ago and has been sitting in my garage. Took off clutch and bearing is done. Wish I caught it in time because the seal goes first I've been hearing. Has around 3,000 miles on her. Compression is good. Bearing is chewed up. Thoughts? I would like to fix it myself on the cheap, sell or trade? Excellent condition. How long will an engine rebuild take if I do it myself?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very surprised it blew with this low of mileage. Was driven by my wife. Maybe she rode too slow LOL!

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
It’s not worth much the way it sits. I say if the sled is useful to you and you can do the work yourself, it’s worth fixing right and driving it. If you have ideas of fixing it and selling it or trading it… probably not worth it. At that point just sell it as is to someone who has a good motor in a crashed sled. Those guys will pay decent money but you will have to wait and find the right guy. I agree the mileage is low for this kind of failure but stuff happens. Hopefully the rest of the crank is good and you could just have someone change the bad bearings. But before taking it apart, price a rebuilt crankshaft, complete gasket set and pistons so you’re aware what the cost would be worst case scenario. Also budget for things like carb boots and other miscellaneous parts. A 15 year old sled is bound to have problems just due to age. I don’t know your ability so I can’t even guess how long it would take you to do the job, but I estimate it would take me roughly 9 hours to complete the work:

1 hour remove engine from chassis
1 hour disassemble engine
2 hours clean and inspect all parts
2 hours reassemble engine
1 hour clean carburetors
2 hours install engine, bleed oil, coolant, set carbs

I say if you’re mechanically inclined and have tools than go for it. With aid from a service manual and help from this site it’s not a hard task to pull off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I definitely have the tools and mechanical skills to tackle the job. Sounds like if I took my time a couple days labor. How much do you think it's worth (as is) if I try to sell on craigslist? If fixed I would sell it, so it sounds like I should try and sell as is.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I’m in Canada, that sleds worth about $3500 ready to ride with no issues. $1000 bucks in parts to fix it roughly if it needs a rebuilt crank. So if I could get someone to give me $2000 for it the way it sits, I’d probably go that route and not have to put any money out or do the work. Not sure what stuff sells for in your area though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was thinking about $1500. US. Thanks for the advice. I think I'll sell it as is. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Where you at in Canada I'm interested in it. If you part it out I'm also interested.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts
Estimate about a month before it is running again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try it yourself.
Value wize, it is worth the same has is or with the motor pulled out, open, sitting on a bench.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Unfortunately not. I'll have to pass on the unit but if you part it out let me know.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Are you selling because you no longer need another sled? Then I agree to sell as is.
But if you need a sled to replace this one, then fix it. Where could you find another sled in good condition for the repair cost?
Unless you plan on spending significantly more to upgrade, but then there is still the unknown when buying something used.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I agree you may as well yank out the motor and tear it down. If you do decide to get rid of the sled you have the option of selling the sled as a "rolling chassis", that would be the sled minus the engine and clutches. Would be just right for someone with a good motor in a smashed sled. Then you have the opportunity to sell the good engine parts and clutches, carbs. That's the stuff that's worth the most money anyhow. Guys will pay good money for nice oem cylinders, the crankcase is worth a couple hundred bucks etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts