Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had many sleds through the years, but haven't owned a new sled since the 90's. My last was a 99 Mxz 600.
I went to Hay Days and now have the bug! So went to my local dealer and they have a few options and not sure which way to go money wise.
They have some a few Mxz, A Renegade and a BackCountry. I usually trail ride in Southern WI and Plan on making a few trips to Northern WI.
At first I was thinking of getting a basic Mxz with the 600r, But then I thought the Black Mxz with the 850 would be more fun.
But from what I have been reading that the 850 would be better in a Renegade with the longer 137 track. Now the loan is going up.
What to Doo?

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Well since Winters are short in southern Wisco unless heck even in northern can be rough.......buy what you can afford. You'll still have fun on cheaper sled.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I have the 850 in a MXZ and it's just fine in the 129 so if you want the extra power I wouldn't worry about the shorter track length.

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts
My vote is with the 600. But... for anyone that scratches there head between a 600 and 850, and mentions the word fun, then I say the 850. The need for the 850 may not last long, but it does have the wow factor. If you know MX bikes, use your experience as a comparison.

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts
But then I thought the Black Mxz with the 850 would be more fun.
This is the part that has me suggest the 850. On an MX, the very first thing that I want to do is pull the front wheel. The MX 250 does it great, while the higher power enduro 350 is a slouch. The 450 takes my breath away in any gear! On a closed circuit, I enjoy snapping the throttle on the 250, whereas the 450 I constantly need to hold back. The moment I get onto trails, I find the 250 is so lacking that I am constantly wanting the 450, but I don't get this feeling with sleds. The CVT gets me what I want out of the 600 for trails up to 80 mph. So if you have always wanted to feel that wow factor in 3-4-5th gear, then the 850 is the one to get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess they only have 850's left in the Mxz. But have 600r and 850 Renegades. It is less than $200 to go up to the Renegade 137"

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts
If it's only for trail riding, be careful what length track you get. No matter how good the rMotion rear suspension is, the MXZ still outperforms. And for crossing bumps, there is no way in heck a few inches more will help, not even the longest summit. If the reason is get more tunnel space for added accessories, then that makes sense.

Keep in mind an MXZ of today has a longer 129" track. I find it ok, but I prefer the previous 120/121"

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ride in michigan (mostly lower with a 1/2 UP trips a year) and went from a 129" to a 850 renegade 137", the only time i like my 137" more is when i am riding in the UP. I would 100% go back to a 129" if not for the UP trips.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it's only for trail riding, be careful what length track you get. No matter how good the rMotion rear suspension is, the MXZ still outperforms. And for crossing bumps, there is no way in heck a few inches more will help, not even the longest summit. If the reason is get more tunnel space for added accessories, then that makes sense.

Keep in mind an MXZ of today has a longer 129" track. I find it ok, but I prefer the previous 120/121"
This is the stuff I'm looking for. Thanks!
But does the 137 track get the power of the 850 to the ground better than the 129?
I ride in michigan (mostly lower with a 1/2 UP trips a year) and went from a 129" to a 850 renegade 137", the only time i like my 137" more is when i am riding in the UP. I would 100% go back to a 129" if not for the UP trips.
I'm thinking I will go with the Mxz. It will corner a little better being a shorter track. Like Wiexpress said we mostly have twisty trails.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Daag makes a good point with the extra Linq slot of the 137". To me that is worth $200.

Depending on how long it has been since you have been on a sled, the 600R motor may seem as snappy as some of the 800s you used to ride. It is not an 850, but the 600R is a fantastic motor. Not to mention that 600 class motors have traditionally been much more reliable than their 800 class counterparts.

I guess the best piece of advice I can give you is "whatever you do, do it fast". You may find that by the time you get back to your dealer, your choices may be even more limited than they already are. I am frankly shocked that you have as broad of a selection as you do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
But does the 137 track get the power of the 850 to the ground better than the 129?

I'm thinking I will go with the Mxz. It will corner a little better being a shorter track. Like Wiexpress said we mostly have twisty trails.
If you like riding twisty and don't go off trail much go with the 129", As others have pointed out the 137" does have nice storage but I barley use it. You wont notice a power difference between the two tracks. You really cant go wrong with either. Also if your coming from an older sled the 129" track will feel extremely smooth compared to your older one.

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts
Daag makes a good point with the extra Linq slot of the 137". To me that is worth $200.

Depending on how long it has been since you have been on a sled, the 600R motor may seem as snappy as some of the 800s you used to ride. It is not an 850, but the 600R is a fantastic motor. Not to mention that 600 class motors have traditionally been much more reliable than their 800 class counterparts.

I guess the best piece of advice I can give you is "whatever you do, do it fast". You may find that by the time you get back to your dealer, your choices may be even more limited than they already are. I am frankly shocked that you have as broad of a selection as you do.
The older 800s was a great comparison. I dare say he may even find 600R more snappy than any sled he has owned. Heck, I think that BRP should provide an additional clutch package for the 600R and 850, one with a smoother engagement. Who could have even imagined this being said 10 years ago. I shook my head the first time I rode an 850, thinking this on a consumer sled? lol

I too am shocked that he has so much choice. Need to go to the dealer and get it done. I have had the same questions regarding the 600 vs 800. To be honest, it is a no brainer. You can tell when it is time for someone to get the 850 when their eyes light-up just looking at one lol

·
Registered
2021 BC XRS
7,786 Posts
Buy the Backcountry.

Unless your only goal is to be fastest through the twisties the 146 C Motion is the most fun all around sled Doo ever built.

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts

Easy answer is no, but power to the ground is one of the most complex subjects there is. For a snowmobile, the whole gamut between track length, width and lug height is truly and stupid complex to the Nth degree. I can get into it, but only to the point that understand.

A 129" track for trail is a no brainer. If you need traction for icy conditions, pre-studded track is the easiest. To get more traction, get studs. To get even more traction, get longer studs. This is all with the standard 1.25 lug track. For anything off-trail, get the taller lugs. If you are not sure what size lugs to get, simply take a look at what BRP offers with the BC (Backcountry). The dealer is an awesome resource to figure out what you need. It really does help to go in with the basics and having thought of what you need. That is when an experienced sales person really shines with what he/she does best.

In the best of cases, I do this on an individual bases and then use the sales person to confirm what the owner really wants or needs. I have been through it enough times to know how it works, but I still find it magical to see the pros at their best.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
What do you have for a trailer? The Renegade doesn't fit in some of the older 10' clamshells. No wrong answers here. Do the 850's vibrate a lot?

·
Premium Member
28,388 Posts
What do you have for a trailer? The Renegade doesn't fit in some of the older 10' clamshells. No wrong answers here. Do the 850's vibrate a lot?
I ride from my home and forget about the issue with trailoring. The 850s don't vibrate much if at all when they are setup right. There is no actual setup to be done, but if one of the two clutches are crooked then it vibrates and runs terrible. The same goes for the 600s and four strokes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts