Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm going to start carrying a first aid and survival kit in my tunnel bag. I just purchased a few items.

Had a great friend that fractured his arm, leg, vertibrate, and a couple of ribs less than a couple of weeks ago in the UP. Trail 43 that leads north of Seney, just below the 43/88 intersection. If not for fellow snowmobilers with heat pads and thermo blankets, he would have been in serious trouble in the snow and cold as it takes forever for EMS to respond in the middle of the forest. A very scary moment!!! My buddy is actually doing very well now, as the breaks were minor considering, no casts, and he's now able to walk around on his own. For those wondering, no alcohol was involved and he considers himself to be a responsible driver.

I just purchased a space thermo blanket, dozen heating pads, red & green lightsticks, batteryless flashlight, prepackaged first aid kit, and ???. I've spent just $80 dollars so far which is basically nothing. I need to add a good compass and waterproof matches. I wasn't too impressed with the "pin" compasses as they are difficult to read and keep still. Is there anything else you can think of. Obviously, carrying a cell phone with a full charge is important too.

These items are extremely important to have!! The life you save may be your own, a great friend, or a total strangers!!!! The accident happened in the middle of the day when there were plenty of fellow sledders to help and offer assistance. If the accident were to happen at night with no help and frigid conditions, how many of you would have been prepared??? I will be prepared from now on and hopefully will never need to use the supplies. But you never know.

Finally, thank you to all of the sledders who stopped and helped. You know who you are.

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
SnoCrazy said:
I'm going to start carrying a first aid and survival kit in my tunnel bag. I just purchased a few items.

Had a great friend that fractured his arm, leg, vertibrate, and a couple of ribs less than a couple of weeks ago in the UP. Trail 43 that leads north of Seney, just below the 43/88 intersection. If not for fellow snowmobilers with heat pads and thermo blankets, he would have been in serious trouble in the snow and cold as it takes forever for EMS to repond in the middle of the forest. A very scary moment!!! My buddy is actually doing very well now, as the breaks were minor considering, no casts, and he's now able to walk around on his own. For those wondering, no alcohol was involved and he considers himself to be a responsible driver.

I just purchased a space thermo blanket, dozen heating pads, red & green lightsticks, batteryless flashlight, prepackaged first aid kit, and ???. I've spent just $80 dollars so far which is basically nothing. I need to add a good compass and waterproof matches. I wasn't too impressed with the "pin" compasses as they are difficult to read and keep still. Is there anything else you can think of. Obviously, carrying a cell phone with a full charge is important too.

These items are extremely important to have!! The life you save may be your own, a great friend, or a total strangers!!!! The accident happened in the middle of the day when there were plenty of fellow sledders to help and offer assistance. If the accident were to happen at night with no help and frigid conditions, how many of you would have been prepared??? I will be prepared from now on and hopefully will never need to use the supplies. But you never know.

Finally, thank you to all of the sledders who stopped and helped. You know who you are.
[snapback]739084[/snapback]​
I will be heading out West in another Month or so, So I have also started gathering a More Advanced first aid kit, adding Heat packs, thermal blanket, Waterproof fire starter, extra socks, gloves, Fleece top, Avalanche Beacon, shovel and probe. As always a Cell Phone is nice, but if you don't know where you are, it will do little good, so adding a Hand held GPS with you (if not one mounted on your sled) would be great for giving rescue crews a pin point location. Great therad, keep any outer sugestions coming!!

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
I highly recommend visiting your local redcross - they have a wide selection of bags for personal/sled storage and are reasonably priced. Body armor is also a must.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This kit is extremely important for those of you who have never considered carrying one!!! What you are doing is buying time, maybe several hours worth till emergency help can respond. Our snowmobiling activity takes us many many miles from civilization. Try this: Lay on your back in deep snow in zero F temps for 2 or 3 hours, or more. Feel the stiff wind across your face? Don't move and don't get up! Add a little sweat to your clothing. Add some broken bones & shooting pains. How do you feel?? Please, ride prepared and safe!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I brought a I think a coleman kit that is in a canvas zippered pouch.It has light sticks,blanket, wateerproof matches and flint and like cotton things to get the fire started,a poncho,a whistle and thermomater with hand, pocket & feet warmer.And a few other things. A gps is good if you can afford it and bring a extra pair of gloves & hat.Drinks and snaks if you have room in your bag. A newer cell phone has a gps locater built into it if you are lost and in need for someone to find you.. And you can still call 911 even if you have no service. But I brought the coleman kit for like $30 & it's small,like 6"x8".A tow rope is a must. This is the stuff I carry.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I just started carrying signal flares and orange smoke grenades. If I'm lucky enough to get a cell signal, I don't think It will help to describe the big tree my sled is wrapped around!

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
are those to signal the rescue or to burn the tree down?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just carry the basic first aid kit, duct tape and a small tube of medical grade super glue. I also have a small kit with a Leatherman, mini torch lighter, 3 small signal flares, 50' of 3/8" rope and Toilet paper. I've only ever had to use the toilet paper.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
add a knife, saw, shovel, duct tape, rolled wire, zip ties, extendable magnet, small tarp, scandinavian bush axe (sandvik), emergency strobe, tylenol, water, glovves goggle balaclava, and warm hat. the space blankets are nice but open one up and see how flimsy it is, now make it frozen and see how bad it will tear. ( i still carry several of them though). the light sticks do not work very well when it is brutally cold. at -25F they lasted for about 20 minutes (real life test). my back pack is heavy but, if i or my party get stranded, there will be a structure built by the time the rescue people get there. ski

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
skidooboy said:
add a knife, saw, shovel, duct tape, rolled wire, zip ties, extendable magnet, small tarp, scandinavian bush axe (sandvik), emergency strobe, tylenol, water, glovves goggle balaclava, and warm hat. the space blankets are nice but open one up and see how flimsy it is, now make it frozen and see how bad it will tear. ( i still carry several of them though). the light sticks do not work very well when it is brutally cold. at -25F they lasted for about 20 minutes (real life test). my back pack is heavy but, if i or my party get stranded, there will be a structure built by the time the rescue people get there. ski
[snapback]740067[/snapback]​
darn, you are prepared!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
All you need is a deck of cards. Just start playing a game solitaire and before You know it someone will be standing behind you telling which move to make.

·
Bring it on!!
3,138 Posts
If you're with a large group in a very remote/dangerous and unfamiliar locale consider renting a satelite phone. May only be $20-$40 each, but it gets help NOW. Lots of places in the Rockies cellular coverage is nonexistent.
The guy that fell off the 265 foot cliff spent the night because his buddies couldn't get out for help sooner. With a sat phone they'd have had the helicopter that day.
When you add up the price of your sled and gear a few bucks that could save your life isn't much.
Also, always carry some high energy food, even if you're going for only a short ride. Nobody I know has ever spent the night in the bush without snacks because they planned it that way.

G

·
nwtguy said:
All you need is a deck of cards. Just start playing a game solitaire and before You know it someone will be standing behind you telling which move to make.

[snapback]740713[/snapback]​
Isn`t that the truth!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts