Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam thinking of getting a rev. next year, my question is the 600 better than the 800,and what are some comon probelms they have. I just what one to go out on the trails and what not. My 97 mach one is asome ,just not a trail sled.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I recently bought a 600 SDI renegade and I love it
. I ride mostly trails but intend to get into off trail with it. Every one has different opinions on which is better in trails so heres my .02, I like the versatility that the 'gade offers. It's good in the trails and the longer track handles the rough stuff great, but you can take it off trail and go any where you want. A lot of the guys on this site have done more off trail by accident than I'll ever doo on purpose so I'm sure someone will chime in soon. If you can get by with less horse power I would go 600 because it gets GREAT fuel mileage. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would have said the 800 in the old days, but IMHO, unless you are really into running on lakes, buy the 600. Its cheaper, its gonna be cheaper to insure, and in anything but a flat out ice race, its just as mean if not better than the 800

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
for me the 600 is WAY underpowered and cannot match the snap of the 800...

BUT the 800 is a carbed motor and who wants carbs...?

I ride the 600SDI and I love it, just that its wide open too often... but that may end soon becasue starting tomorrow the MAXIMUM speed limit on a trail sled in NYS is 55 F'n MPHs so a 380 might be in order... "edit for bad language"s runing another fun activity!

FWIW if you're running lakes then get an RT chassis and something bigger than an 800... I am told the speed limit does not pertain to the lakes so go balls out-

why do we have to save everybody from themselves???

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The 600 is an awesome trail sled. I love this motor. Very smooth aceleration at all speeds. Perfect for wooded trails, twisties, fields, rail lines, etc. SDI is bang on for starting and running. If you want more power for things like constant rail lines and lake running than jump up to the 800.

·
Dootalk = college student's study time
4,213 Posts
I have a 600. I love the thing to death. I put a clutch kit in it and it is very snappy, and I love the thing. My next sled might be a 800, but I have to look at the money. The reason that I am looking at a 800 is because I love getting into the deep stuff, and every now and then I could use the power.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
If you don't care about SDI go with the 800. I've owned both an 03 600ho rev and an 04 800ho rev, did all the same mods to both sleds (dynoport singles, DJ clutching, studded 1.25 tracks, both geared down a couple teeth up top, and both re-jetted). The 600 was a lot of fun but the 800 has a lot more mid range snap (great low end when geared as well), is better on gas and is no heavier than the 600. I rarely see speeds over 90mph but the corner to corner pull the 800 has when set-up correctly is a lot of fun!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I own a 2004 600ho summit and love this sled. I have added 9 tooth exto's, a 9inch big wheel kit, thing can, chrome rings and TEAM secondary and this machine runs!!!

With a little bit of money, you can turn a 600HO into one snappy machine.

I also prefer the old 600ho to the new 600ho SDI. The SDI runs like a caddy though and my dad loves his for trail riding.

If you like to ride wide open lake runs all day and weigh over 225lbs, I would opt for the 800ho.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I love my 600 SDI and still think the technology has got to be better, but you should be aware that there are some bugs not yet worked out (as of '06 model sold fall of '05). I'm hoping new fuel maps will solve them.

Otherwise it's a great motor, smooth, starts first pull almost all the time (second pull the rest of the time), very efficient. As far as I'm concerned it has tons of power -- it will propel my Summit with its big wide heavy track to 140km/h (according to the speedo) in a foot of powder. It's so fast it's scary. It terms of power I would think the 600SDI would be a blast on a trail sled with a lighter smaller track unless you weigh like 250 pounds.

But if you go for this option, I would agree with the dealer that you're not going to tolerate any of the current SDI problems: the Flaming Can, the 7000 RPM Bog, or the Flaking Rings. And if any of these appear during the warranty period and he can't solve them within a week, then he takes the sled back.

You might also consider the 500SS. It's the old non-HO 600 and only gives up 10 hp or so to the 600SDI. Apparently it's the most reliable liquid Doo motor and everybody says good things about it. Cheap too.

People say mixed things about the 800 PTek. It also has some good technology -- a knock sensor which theoretically should prevent many burndowns, eraves, etc. But people on this board blow them up on a regular basis which makes me a little cautious. Maybe they're just running them b*lls out all the time. A bigger engine theoretically ought to be running a little less hard, and so ought to last a little longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts