Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I melted a piston on my 05 power-tec and will replace both pistons. I am considering using Wiesco instead of rotax. A friend of mine just replaced one with a SPI Picton which I understand is the same as cudney. After about 100 miles the piston skirting broke apart in pieces not only damaging the cylinder but also the cases. I can buy a set of wiesco pistons for about $120.00 or pay about $350.00 for the rotax.
Looking for feedback from dootalkers who have used wiesco pistons in a 800 power-tec.
Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
309 Posts
View attachment 47634
yaminomore said:
I melted a piston on my 05 power-tec and will replace both pistons. I am considering using Wiesco instead of rotax. A friend of mine just replaced one with a SPI Picton which I understand is the same as cudney. After about 100 miles the piston skirting broke apart in pieces not only damaging the cylinder but also the cases. I can buy a set of wiesco pistons for about $120.00 or pay about $350.00 for the rotax.
Looking for feedback from dootalkers who have used wiesco pistons in a 800 power-tec.
Thanks, Tim
[snapback]712893[/snapback]​
Picture of friends spi piston

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Awful looking pistons, I'm installing Cudneys in my sled, '05 ptek as well.I ran them in my '03 rev without any problems.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
CUDNEY! They are similar to SPI but have more silicone in them to prevent expansion. I have almost 2,000 trouble free miles on them. They are moly coated and have ceramic domes. I my opinion they are a better piston than any wiseco. Do a search on here. Most are running the Cudney.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Woah that looks ugly.You the guy I was talking to at Club Scott in quebec?? Talked to a guy there, bein towed by his buddy, that the motor went down.

·
Mod'n is my thing
6,288 Posts
I have a pair of factory PT pistons with the chrome rings for $150 shipped to you. They got about 1100 miles on them and are in good condition.

Wiesco are good pistons....BUT they expand more since they are forged and if you don't warm up your sled carefully you will cold sieze them.

If you are sending both jugs to get replated you could have them hone the jugs for the Wiesco's to allow for the expansion which will help you out.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
If its an 05 they should be covered under warrenty.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
newm316 said:
[snapback]713553[/snapback]​
Only with extended warrenty

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
REV_X_MAN said:
newm316 said:
[snapback]713553[/snapback]​
Only with extended warrenty
[snapback]713567[/snapback]​
Take them back and complain if you have a good dealer they can get it fixed 4 u.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts