Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past I just duct tape all the holes shut on my cowling for breaking trail but that was on Skandic 600 liquid 2 strokes. What are you all doing with ACE cowlings? All that exposed frog skin worries me and traveling with a buddy on 600 ACE a few years ago he choked on powder all the time and eventually froze his steering with melted snow so we had to stop and chop every few hours. I have a front bumper on my 900 ACE WT now so looking to modify some powder guards for times when I am doing long river running miles in 3-4' of dry snow.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Personally I wouldnt be duct tapping anything, or closing off any vents. Riding in deeep snow is hard word, for the rider, and the machine. It needs to breath, and the hot air it's making needs to escape.

Stop and clear snow off every now and then, and certainly clear it away before taking a lengthy break to minimize any chance of stuff freezing up, but I wouldn't block off any air flow.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I was just discussing this with a buddy of mine this morning.....i wouldn't block anything either, the vent behind 2" receiver on the front bumper you need to clear more often that's all...

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a bunch of old intake vent frames kicking around with the screen tore out of them. Sick of buying new ones so I’m thinking about fixing them up with something but don’t know what’s the best material to use.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
I have a bunch of old intake vent frames kicking around with the screen tore out of them. Sick of buying new ones so I'm thinking about fixing them up with something but don't know what's the best material to use.
That is exactly what I did. Had a screen with a hole poked in it, and some frogskinz hanging on the wall I had bought years ago and never used. It's super simple to apply, and sticks very well.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Why do they call it frogskin?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Reactions: Cains Guest

·
Registered
2,618 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
2x on the frogskinz. Work well. Buddy's 1200 would auto shutdown when idling due to plugged vents overheating the motor. Like stated earlier, motor needs to breath, Since he added frogskinz, never had the issue again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is exactly what I did. Had a screen with a hole poked in it, and some frogskinz hanging on the wall I had bought years ago and never used. It's super simple to apply, and sticks very well.
Thanks NB. Heard of it before but never ever used it myself. I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright, I'll get a pond's worth of frogskin and probably some metal screening too to protect it from willows

1 - 13 of 13 Posts