Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good rule of thumb on engine temp and cold starting temp. Polaris was know of cold seizure , coming off , just new ski doo blizzard

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Doo can cold seize also. Rule of thumb, start it, let it idle and put around on it till the heat exchanger in the tunnel gets warm to the touch. Then you know the T-stat has started to open up. Don't just start it and go hammer time. Running temps are the best at 130-145*. Starts to pull timing at 150.

Reactions: paul yarek

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Ran all day yesterday, water temp between 110-120. Warm up mode goes away around 86deg.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply and information , have great rest of winter, ride safe. Pray for snow❄☃

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
My 600 seems to stay around 114 degrees or about 4-5 bars

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
4 bars is normal running.... Worst is people starting them up and start moving it into the trailer without allowing it to warm up.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I don't touch the flipper till 80. Normal trail is 113 on my 800. Warm up quits at 84-86. I've had 130 in bad snow/grass. Hit some snow and spin the track it drops instantly.

Reactions: SmittyXP

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
This morning it was in warm up until 105. It was -35 when I fired it up. Damn chilly day to sign the trails.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dealer told me you can't hurt the etech engine by getting on it too soon because it wont let you get full power till the computer goes off of warm up mode. Obviously he also recommended to let it get up to temp before taking off on the trails but for the most part the etech knows its limitations. My biggest beef with the longer 129's ys the 120's is I think the upper rear radiator is farther back being a longer track and looses some of the snow turbulence out the sides quicker and not putting against the radiator. IDK.... just my take so far but my sled gets hotter quicker than the 120's did on the same trail conditions. My upper rear radiator is wayyyy hotter than theirs to the touch of a hand.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Dealer told me you can't hurt the etech engine by getting on it too soon because it wont let you get full power till the computer goes off of warm up mode. Obviously he also recommended to let it get up to temp before taking off on the trails but for the most part the etech knows its limitations. My biggest beef with the longer 129's ys the 120's is I think the upper rear radiator is farther back being a longer track and looses some of the snow turbulence out the sides quicker and not putting against the radiator. IDK.... just my take so far but my sled gets hotter quicker than the 120's did on the same trail conditions. My upper rear radiator is wayyyy hotter than theirs to the touch of a hand.
Just get a tstat housing. My 120 was running 4 to 5 bars now it's 4 bars and doesn't burn when you check the top coolers.

Note the 16s don't have the curved cooler in the back like the iron dog did.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Your dealer is a retard. Warm up is key to the longevity of any engine. And an etec WILL foul plugs of you try to move it when it is cold.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your dealer is a retard. Warm up is key to the longevity of any engine. And an etec WILL foul plugs of you try to move it when it is cold.
Well I wouldn't quite say that....lol I asked him about the warm up mode like the one on my 06 SDI and he said it's not as critical as those years since the technology is so much better. Hence the idle never changes telling you when it's recommended to move the sled like in 06. That was very recommended back then. Now he meant you could start it up and drive it off the trailer quicker. That didn't mean get on it right away but if you did the sled wouldn't let you have full power until it was ready. Now for me.... I'm very picky about letting them warm up and that's one of the reasons my 06 is still running very well. I will continue to do this regardless.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts