Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
I was browsing through my last BUDS report when I noticed how hot the air and coolant temps had reached. Even the low and high voltage was surprising. The results were in the native Ski-Doo language, so I added markups to help.

Rectangle Parallel Font Slope Pattern

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BUDS stands for BRP Utility and Diagnostic Software. It is what's needed to troubleshoot our sleds and upload new ignition/fuel maps. The CanDoo is an aftermarket computer comparable to BUDS with a few less options such as loading new maps, but this is rarely needed and can be done by a dealer or shop for a very low cost. Heck many dealers don't even know that they can upload new maps or reload ECMs without the help of the BRP support line, although this has changed over the years.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Wow i havent hooked my 15 to buds yet, but my coolant temp never went over 160 F last year. That seems odd and way too high. I thought the engine shuts off. I plan on hooking mine up this fall.

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
Ethyl glycol/water mix of 50% coolant and 50% distilled water has a boiling point of 106 C (223 F), and 113 C (235 F) with a 70/30 mix. The actual mix ratio in the sled is unknown, but it should be in that range. The max recorded temp was quite a bit higher @ 131 C (268 F).

·
Sled Builder
9,287 Posts
Something has to be wrong.

At 275*f automotive engines will trigger a P0117 and quit reading and log how minutes the vehicle was driven with that code on.

Catastrophic engine failure is well below that threshold.

With a P0117 tripped and driven for 8 mins you will have melted knock sensors, melted radiator fill neck, melted injector tips, cylinder wall damage and quite possible chunks of the cylinder/piston melted away. Removing the head on a V6 will show over .012" warpage and over .008" block warpage.

There is no possible way a 2-stroke can see 268* and survive.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Lots of things can cause overheating. Lean fuel mixture is one, but if it was lean enough to run that hot, you would have severe engine damage. It could be a bad thermostat, but unlikely on a newer sled. It could have been driven in poor conditions, but you would know that. It could have had air in the system, which is one of the top causes of overheating. But my guess would be that it's a faulty reading. Did you have any codes? Did you check to see if the coolant temp sensor was reading properly? Did you check compression to see if you had engine damage?

·
Sled Builder
9,287 Posts
Maize, I completely agree. Something went terribly wrong, but what could have caused such high coolant temps?

NSHM, thanks for the correction in temps. It has since been corrected.
With temps that high in a 2-stroke, I would lean more towards a faulty sensor, or harness issue causing incorrect readings.

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The coolant sensor was tested to 100 C (212 F) and it was within spec.

The voltage at the battery was 14.4v.

To maximize cooling, BRP didn't give it a thermostat.

The sled came with no temp gauge. All it had was an engine overheat warning lamp and beeper alarm. Even if it had the factory analog temp gauge the max reading is 100 C (212 F).

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Is this the 2007 1000 in your profile? For some reason, I was thinking that you had a newer 800. 2007 is old enough that you could have corroded grounds, especially if it was ever towed on an open trailer. I'd clean up the grounds, especially the voltage regulator. Has it ever ran poorly (intermittently), had flickering lights, anything like that?

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
Rectangle Font Parallel Software Display device

This one shows that the Limp Home Mode was never triggered (Mode d'urgence in French Quebec). Curious that such high coolant and intake air temps would not trigger a Limp Home Mode. They appear not the be part of the Limp Home Mode program.

The Shop Manual .speaks of critical components that will trigger a Limp Home Mode, but escapes being clean of what these are on the SDI. The only clear triggers are the EGTS reaching 700C (1292 F), and if it detects a problem with a component in the fuel injection system.

LIMP HOME MODES (SDI)

Besides the signals as seen above, the ECM may automatically set default parameters to the engine management to ensure the adequate operation of the vehicle if a component of the fuel injection system is not operating properly.

NOTE: Sensor failures will not lead to a limp home mode, warning will follow by the check engine LED and the buzzer.

When minor fault occurs, the fault and message/buzzer will disappear automatically, when the condition disappears. Depending on the severity of the malfunction, the vehicle speed may be reduced and not allowed to reach its usual top speed.

The engine RPM may be limited if some critical components fail. In this case, releasing throttle and letting the engine returning to idle speed may allow normal operation to come back. If does not work, try removing and reinstalling the tether cord cap on DESS post.

These performance-reduced modes allow the rider to go back home which would not be possible without this advanced system.

Refer to the DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES for a complete chart.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For the ETEC, the actual definition of a Limp Home Mode is not made clear either, but it does show significant improvement with a chart providing details when the engine RPM will be limited.

The jpg upload somehow causes the text to come out blurry, so I will add a version in pdf in the next post.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Document

Font Parallel Screenshot Rectangle Number

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.