Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a chance I might be in revy for the winter/spring. I'm looking at my options for modding my RS to be able to be mobile in the mtns and at the same time be able to beat the snot out of it. I realize that going to a 146" extension puts too much stress on my rails and will cause issues with bending. But I do want to have the option to run a lug bigger than 2" (2.3 or 2.5) which is not availible in a 137 and have a bit more floatation. So i came up with this plan....

-put 120-137 extensions on the race skid
-run a 146" track
-relocate skid approx 5" (just a guess) to take up slack.

This (i hope) will give me more track on the snow, better attack angle, still able to run a big lug track, still have the durability from the race skid without putting too much stress on the rails.

Has this ever been done?

what are your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
For the cost of what it will take to do this properly, rent a sled when you go out West.

First off, your tunnel will be much to short for your plan.

Running a short track sled, with a short track cooler is going to lead to more problems like cooling when you start loading up the motor in the hills.

You are hoping for a better attack angle? Relocating the skid back 5 inches is going to most likely ruin that plan. Where do you anticipate the front of your rails to be if you do this? The angle from the rails to the drivers is going to be pertty interesting.

If you are going to be out West for an extended period of time, sell the RS and buy a Summit, or a Backcountry Gade. Then when you go home, sell the Summit or take the Gade with you.

Just because its a Summit doesn't mean it can't handle being pounded on.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Your obstacles will be cooling and excessive ski pressure. That's a huge setback for a sled that already has alot of weight up front. I agree....spend the $$ on a rental.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I didn't have a issue with cooling on my sled, I had 120-146 extensions. bent the rails though. I looked at renting but for what I could rent a sled for I could convert my sled, and use it year after year. Your best bet is to get some IceAge rails. they make 146 RS rails. maybe add some rail braces. I wouldn't relocate your skid it's not going to work without some good custom fabbing to your tunnel.
Van amburg also sells a bumper kit for the xp's That adds new rear suspension mounts. so you could fit a 146 skid in there. its like 8-900 though. There is a few options out there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Moving skid can also cause the rails to stab the track as it leaves a big area in-front of the rail and driver. Have seen this happen with sleds that have done this and is not pretty when it happens.
You may get away with it for awhile like the other fellows did but it happened.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those are some good points that i have overlooked. but what i mean is I'd be living in revy for the winter, and whatever it takes to fab it up is not an issue. I figure id only have to move the skid 3" back if running larger wheels. I raced sno-x and plan on continueing to ride it like a race sled. As long as I can get around is all im concerned about.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cory Micku runs a 154 skid setback with a 163 track with no limiter straps. Setting it back does give a nice attack angle and this setup works good for climbing if it suits your riding style - he was climbing chutes that NOBODY has ever done before - and doing it without boost!

I built a cat snopro with 128-150 rail extensions, then setback to run a 156 track, and I didn't have any issues jumping it. But it will put more stress on the rails (with extensions) and the tunnel (with a setback)

·
I Just Wanna Ride Man
2,420 Posts
I didn't have a issue with cooling on my sled, I had 120-146 extensions. bent the rails though. I looked at renting but for what I could rent a sled for I could convert my sled, and use it year after year. Your best bet is to get some IceAge rails. they make 146 RS rails. maybe add some rail braces. I wouldn't relocate your skid it's not going to work without some good custom fabbing to your tunnel.
Van amburg also sells a bumper kit for the xp's That adds new rear suspension mounts. so you could fit a 146 skid in there. its like 8-900 though. There is a few options out there.
Did you start off at 1200ft??? and climb to 7000+ft thinking not. Cooling will be an issue I ran into this last year with my 146-163 stretch on the way up the mtn coming down was fine.

If your going to be living in revy for the winter I wouldnt even hesistate sell the sled and get a summit for what your going to spend on rails, track, gearing, clutching would make up the difference for a summit.

LetItSnow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts