Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have around 1600 miles on my 2014 Renny. I'm seeing 6900rpms when i pinch it but then nothing over 6400 unless i slow WAY down.

I'm thinking that my springs are starting to get sacked out, so i'm starting there.

Stock Secondary is: 42/66, i'm thinking of getting the Dalton: 49/78

Primary: Stock: 100/155, I'm thinking of getting the Dalton: 117/210

So, clutching experts, in your opinion what would this do to my RPMs goiing a little stiffer all around? I'm thinking back-shifting would increase greatly and it would rev slightly higher before engagement? I should be able to get 7200+ on every throttle pull?

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
A worthy try for sure IMO. I'd do something very similar if I had kept my Edrive. I think the engagement increase will be barely noticeable, and actually I bet you'll get higher than 7200 on most pulls, which is good. Should still cruise at reasonable RPMS and for sure you'll notice the improvement in backshift. I'd wind the secondary to about 18 or 19 pounds.

Report back how it works!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Whirli, I have the same problem. My 2015 900 Renegade used to run up to 7200 with a speed of just under 80 on the GPS. It now has 4250 miles and never goes over 6600 rpm with a GPS speed of 69. I complained to my dealer at the end of last season. Pre-season service I had them clean and check the clutches and do a spring tension test. I was told the springs were a little under the OEM specs. I will be dropping it off in a few days so the tech can take it for a run down the rail bed to confirmy findings. He said he could correct it by increasing the tension of the secondary and or installing a new primary spring. I don't want another OEM spring, so I am very interested in how you make out with your Dalton springs. Please post your findings Thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Everybody is having this problem, I'm on my 7th ace and they have all done the same thing, never tried to correct it goes good as it is, can't run over 80 on most trails anyway.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,299 Posts
Not all of us like riding with crapped out springs... Congratulations on your mileage... But everybody rides different... Some of us want full potential of our sled... Some just ride and call it good

·
31,299 Posts
mine are on order, should get them in the sled this weekend hopefully. I'll report back.
so how did the new springs work out ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Last year dalton had two springs to the edrive. I got the weaker of the two . Dont remember the numbers on them.
There was a differens but not enough. I should have got the stiffer one.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought a new 900ace blizzard for the wife, but since I was the one breaking the motor in correctly and putting 300 miles on it last weekend, I have to say the clutching leaves alot to be desired. Nice motor for her, but I couldnt get it over 6900rpm. I have talked to Doo Dr a couple times on the phone and he claims the 900 will pull much harder from mid to top end with the correct RPM's. I am going to order his setup, but probably won't test it until next year, unless we get up again after this weekend. Sounds to me like Skidoo doesn't want people with 4 strokes to have any fun past 60mph. Don't get me wrong, it will do 80mph, but it's a dog from 60 to 80. I have read alot on here about how the 900s are clutched wrong. heck if the stock clutch would pull 7250 like they claim, even that would be fine. Skidoo doesn't have the clutching right on these sleds yet. People are getting it figured out though.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Mine will break the track loose at 60mph when I go full throttle and pulls real well right up to 80MPH, with stock clutching. For factory clutching, Ski Doo has the clutch spot on for fuel economy and performance. This sled is no slouch from 60 to 80, it will give you a nice pull on your arms. For trail riding, this sled will be hard to beat. Best sled I have ever owned.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought a new 900ace blizzard for the wife, but since I was the one breaking the motor in correctly and putting 300 miles on it last weekend, I have to say the clutching leaves alot to be desired. Nice motor for her, but I couldnt get it over 6900rpm. I have talked to Doo Dr a couple times on the phone and he claims the 900 will pull much harder from mid to top end with the correct RPM's. I am going to order his setup, but probably won't test it until next year, unless we get up again after this weekend. Sounds to me like Skidoo doesn't want people with 4 strokes to have any fun past 60mph. Don't get me wrong, it will do 80mph, but it's a dog from 60 to 80. I have read alot on here about how the 900s are clutched wrong. heck if the stock clutch would pull 7250 like they claim, even that would be fine. Skidoo doesn't have the clutching right on these sleds yet. People are getting it figured out though.
Mines pulling 7,200 every time. You could take the blizzard back, buy a two up seat conversion for your 800 then you and the wife can ride together?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick little spin in the ditch lastnight, engagement changed from around 2200??? to around 2800. I only ran maybe 2 miles before tossing it on the trailer, but the few small straights i was seeing 7800-8K on the tach and holding there.

I'll be running 250-300 miles this weekend. I'll report back... right now i've got a :) on my face.

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Quick little spin in the ditch lastnight, engagement changed from around 2200??? to around 2800. I only ran maybe 2 miles before tossing it on the trailer, but the few small straights i was seeing 7800-8K on the tach and holding there.

I'll be running 250-300 miles this weekend. I'll report back... right now i've got a :) on my face.
According to this graph looks like you picked up 15 hp...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright, 250 mile update on this setup.

First things first... I was riding in an area where a 600 ACE would have no problem keeping up with an 800r. Very tight woods/trails, no lake running. so i didn't do any prolonged wot pulls and for the most part i more or less roll on roll off the gas, i'm not one to stab it between every corner. below are my findings/impressions.

First 80 miles every-time i tapped the gas i'd see the tach rocket to 8K hld for a second, then i would have to let off. This was night riding on tight trails. I was very impressed with the sled.

Day 2. the sled seemed to settle in a little better. Now that the first 80 or so miles were done i was more or less just enjoying the sled so i didn't study the tach as much. For the most part coming out of a corner it would pull to around 7600 rpms then slowly rise up to around 7900 or so. Cruising in the 40-60mph range i was always around 5500 rpms, and as soon as i would tap the gas it would roll to 7600 then start to increase.

one short lake crossing i saw 85mph on 6" of fluffy snow. Before i was struggling to hit 75 on hard-pack lake. I'm really happy about it.

I had a buddy who is a die hard 600 liberty guy ride it when i was not liking my clutching earlier in the year and he was harping on me for how slow the sled is. This weekend he rode it and was harping on it having too much response/torque... I guess if you do this setup and you have a 600 liberty owner wanting to try your sled, toss it in standard mode so they can handle your new-found torque monster!!!!!!

Oh that torque is contagious!!!!!!!!!.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So far my 2016 Renegade ace 900 is maxing at 7200. 400 miles on the sled. I am hearing there were clutching changes in 2016.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you give us the part numbers for the springs that you have, so all of us that want better performance can order them. Thanks

·
31,299 Posts
Can you give us the part numbers for the springs that you have, so all of us that want better performance can order them. Thanks
the primary spring is 117 / 210 which is white and black numbers Dpps - w / B..... The secondary is a 49 / 78 black yellow silver numbers dpss-b/y/s

1 - 20 of 47 Posts