Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
(UPDATE: IT seemed like the oil was darker than normal for only getting about 1400 easy trail miles on this past winter. Thermostat was stuck open which may contribute to oil getting darker quicker. See my thermostat post for more info.) What's your engine oil looking like at the end of the season? Just looking at the oil filter and oil posts, maybe this will get some positive results for changing the oil annually. This was a spur of the moment thought and I realize my bottle of XPS is gone from when I did the oil and filter change in November of 2018. That's why it's blank in the new spot. Anyone else able to show a sample from their ACE 900 from the season? I know darkening oil is normal with use, but I am all for the annual oil and filter change (or 4000 miles, whichever is first) as the manual states. However, the one sled that only has 330 miles for the season I am not going to change that oil because it's garage kept and technically after next winter will only have 15 months of the oil in the engine.... Then gets a change. The one sled with 4426 total miles I ran the Mobil 0w-40, the other with 1330 total miles, the XPS. All with the 124 filter.
Would like to see your results! Especially since it's that time of year between cabin fever and spring fever. Haha

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Was going to mention that both of these sleds are 2015 ACE 900 Renegade that I have owned since new and done the maintenance on. Very well taken care of.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I like and agree with your approach to changing the oil once a season to remove the contaminants from the engine and start fresh the following season. It's inexpensive to do and allows me to spend more time in the shop when the season is over.

So many factors contribute to dark oil; number of heat cycles, additives, oxidation. In addition, riding styles and storage will also play factors for snowmobile oil.

The only sure method for determining the life span of your oil is to have an oil analysis done. Engine oils are performing for higher mileage than years past and dark oil could still have lots of life left in it!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The color of the oil is not a good way to guage engine internals and operating performance. Remember the oils job is to lubricate, cool and remove contaminants, so color just indicates the oil is doing its job. Only a lab anaysis can tell you what the remaining oil life is. I change my oil after every season reguardless of miles. Its 3 qts, cheap insurance. I use Mob 1 European formula 0w-40. $25 for 5 qt jug from Wally mart. Great oil!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Was those samples in the photo from the dipstick or drain pan?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I change my oil and filter at the end of every season. It's cheap and I know I have fresh oil to start the season. As I have stated many times, these are high performance engines that run in a harsh environment, run high rpm's and hotter temps than your every day vehicle you drive to work. It's not necessarily the oil it's self is dirty, it's the chemicals that get depleted very quickly that is the concern. Chemicals that make the oil flow when cold, anti corrosion and lubricity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oil sample analysis the only way of knowing what the oil condition is as related to be in specs as it should be. XPS, Amsoil, and Mobil 1, all being in specs recommended by BRP, and 0-W-40, all start out with different coloration. But means nothing. Oils of today are very much more durable, able to withstand harsh environments, and still stay within specs recommended.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
If you drain the oil, it will be much darker.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts on this! I agree with the oil analysis. Did that with the diesel trucks and was amazing how long it could go even though the oil was black after a thousand miles. Good oil filter kept the soot microns down. I know there are many factors to an oil getting dark, but I was curious what the oil looked like for guys that had higher miles on the oil. Just out of curiosity....
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
It will get black. My point is, that these engines are run under extreem conditions and for the price of oil is cheap. They run 6000+ rpm's most of the time, unlike normal transportation vehicles. The oil test as far as I know, do not check for the additive levels. They check for acid and particles.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It will get black. My point is, that these engines are run under extreem conditions and for the price of oil is cheap. They run 6000+ rpm's most of the time, unlike normal transportation vehicles. The oil test as far as I know, do not check for the additive levels. They check for acid and particles.
The oil analysis will tell you if the oil is still in its spec range, if they know the brand, and series of it. The sample I sent in on a warranty claim was unidentified to the sampler, as it was sent to see if coolant had contaminated the engine oil. When the results came back ,the lab had identified the oil brand, series, and viscosity. So, oil samples do indeed say a lot.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I agree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts