Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just had the bolt out/clutch off 150 miles ago on my etec 800. bolt was torqued to 90 ft lbs, now it wont come out.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Won't come out of crank or won't come out of clutch?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
My brother had that happen. There ended up being some kind of burr on the threads. Snapped the head off trying. Had to weld a bar to the rest of the bolt to get it out. Nightmare. I hope yours is better .

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it wont come out of the crank. i got it to turn 3 or 4 revolutions out by going a quarter turn out, then back in, half turn out, then back in, etc.... i thought it would keep coming all the way out. eventually it snapped the bolt off.

i got the outer half of the clutch off and i can see inside the hole now. it doesnt look like the bolt is threaded into the clutch yet. however, the bolt broke off out further so i cannot get a puller in there to get the inner half of the clutch off of the crank. i dont know what the hell to do now.......

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Heat gun on the inner half and try to get it off. Then I'm afraid you are down to drilling the bolt out of the crank.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Hate to say it but it looks like you are doomed

·
Registered
399 Posts
this can happen from not torquing clutch bolt properly, when it's not tight enough it stretches and will jam.after bolt is toured the first time rev sled up on a stand and hit the brakes a few times re torque now do it again and re torque.
You are going to need to get that 1/2 off to work at the bolt, weld a nut on the stub and work it back and forth lots of heat and lube really help too.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
this can happen from not torquing clutch bolt properly, when it's not tight enough it stretches and will jam.after bolt is toured the first time rev sled up on a stand and hit the brakes a few times re torque now do it again and re torque.
You are going to need to get that 1/2 off to work at the bolt, weld a nut on the stub and work it back and forth lots of heat and lube really help too.
Sorry, but getting the outer half off will not give access to bolt. I think the best bet is going to be, get the outer half off however you can, then weld a nut to the end of the fixed sheave, then use the water trick. Then you can weld another nut to the broken bolt and using heat, hopefully back the bolt out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, but getting the outer half off will not give access to bolt. I think the best bet is going to be, get the outer half off however you can, then weld a nut to the end of the fixed sheave, then use the water trick. Then you can weld another nut to the broken bolt and using heat, hopefully back the bolt out.
the outer half is off already. welding a nut to the inner sheave and the water trick would work, but my sheave will likely be ruined. welding a nut to the broken bolt i doubt will do anything. that sucker is jammed tight for some reason. i would say drilling is my only option then. im still working at the inner sheave. propane torch and pry bars is not working so far.....

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
the outer half is off already. welding a nut to the inner sheave and the water trick would work, but my sheave will likely be ruined. welding a nut to the broken bolt i doubt will do anything. that sucker is jammed tight for some reason. i would say drilling is my only option then. im still working at the inner sheave. propane torch and pry bars is not working so far.....
How did you get just the outer half off?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I spent 2 hours with a punch heat drill lube and vise grips got it moving about 3/4 turn in and out tacked a nut to it carefully in and out with cordless impact gun so I wouldn't snap it again 10 minutes of that and she popped loose and out it came.
I thought I was doomed at first bet patience paid off.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Great news!... I thought you were doomed. I would have winched it onto the trailer and brought it to somebody but you didn't give up.. Way to go.

Reactions: paul yarek

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
It may be less expensive to get a cut off grinder and sacrifice the inner and cut it so you can weld on to the bolt.

Hope fully the crank will make the trip after you (if) you can get it out.

Tough call.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts