Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, Ive been thinking about this for some time. I feel Doo has by far the best 2 strokes available today. Big power, great technology...etc. What Im wondering is how far can they go with it? As we see the trend to 4 strokes from more than just Yamaha now, do you feel it is inevitable that we will all be riding 4 strokes someday. If you bundle emissions, performance and reliability together, is it realistic to expect any manufacurer to keep building 2 strokes? BRP is the clear leader here, just look at there marine engines. Fanstatic technology. Clean burning, fuel effecient...etc. My concern is reliability.

I know there are more than 1 unhappy guys here with the reliablility of there 1000 SDIs. Is BRP pushing the envelope and stretching the limits of what a 2 stroke can do?

To me it'll be a sad day if and when 2 strokes are not available. I loved every Ski-Doo I ever owned but switched to Yamaha for the simple fact I couldnt get a smooth triple from Ski-Doo. With the 4 strokes being rammed down our throats, if your a Blue guy, you have no choice.

My question is if BRP came out with a low 500#, 150ish HP 4 stroke, that actually handled and rode good, would you buy one? To me, im looking for the ulitmate sled and to date I just havent seen it from ANY manufacturer. I think we all want the same thing, High HP, Good riding, Good handeling, Fastest across the lake, Reliable, Good looks, and fuel efficient all wrapped up in one sled. Problem is, it doesnt exist!!

I say, build me a REV platform Renegade with a 1000cc four stroke that makes about a buck seventy. Can I sign the papers today?

Just food for thought...BBY

·
Registered
90 Posts
if i had the choice between a 2 stroke and a 4 storke, same weight, same power...i would still choose the 2 stroke

Just something orgasmic about that screaming sound i guess

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sticking with 2 strokes for as long as possible. but the day will come when all that is avail. is 4 stroke. hopefully theres enough parts out there to keep my 2 strokes going for the rest of my life. I just wont buy new

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is no limit to how far a two stroke can be developed. No matter how far BRP or Orbital or anyone else has taken them it's just pissin in the wind compared to the amount of time, money and technology that has been put into four strokes for the last 75 years. There are dozens of automakers and aftermarket companies constantly pushing the four-stroke envelope. How many companies are working on two strokes?

At this point the primary downside is heat two strokes making big power get hot a lot quicker than four strokes and fuel injection only complicates the issue.

Can these problems be solved? Yes. The question is how long will it take with the limited amount of companies developing them? I don't see anything in the near future that will get more companies on the two-stroke bandwagon. The media has done a nice job of making the general public think they are old technology and in the process of being phased out.

Personally I think a two-stroke is the perfect motor to be mated to a hybrid-electric drivetrain, and there are cars out there using transmissions based on the same priniciple as a snowmobiles belt drive system. The technology isn't a stretch, it's the mentality.

If the consumers don't demand a clean powerful two stroke and will accept four strokes being "rammed down their throats" then that is exactly what we will be getting.

Polaris could reverse thier fortunes by being the first company to reintroduce the the triple two-stroke. It probably wouldn't sell in the mountains but there are legions of eastern and midwestern trail riders and lake runners who would snap up a 180 hp clean-running triple in a modern chassis. Leave the rmk twins to the mountain guys.

Ski-Doo customers who love two strokes should go easy on BRP during these development years or you will no longer have two-stroke motor choices for your sleds. I wonder if BRP is second guessing their decision to go the two stroke route at this point with all the problems with the SDI's. I applaud them for doing it but I don't own a 12K machine that doesn't perform.

·
Registered
261 Posts
03_REV800 said:
if i had the choice between a 2 stroke and a 4 storke, same weight, same power...i would still choose the 2 stroke

Just something orgasmic about that screaming sound i guess
[snapback]746595[/snapback]​
Ya, 4 strokes are to quiet, 2 strokes are the best because you drive up to your friends house are 2 at night and then just pin it!!!!!!!!
especially if you got a stinger!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts