Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
E-Tec Rules
34,041 Posts
the beaver delete kit was for the 03 revs 03 revs had a bearver tail and nobody like it so they took it off replaced it with beaver tail delete kit

Attachments

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
If you ride deep snow and wetter snow it can clog up the tunnel and track because there isn't enough room to clear out the snow quick enough. I hae witnessed this the first year they came out. We rode them out hre in Colorado worked like crud in the deep snow. This sled looked like the first one posted but has a delete on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don't listen to them!!! LOL The beaver works fine in the powder, at least as fine as any other sled with a 1" by 121" track. I ride with an mxz 583, a viper 700 and a couple of cats, and I've never had a problem with my tunnel clogging up. I've also never been stuck in an area where they've gotten by me. The only reason I can see for getting rid of it is cosmetics, and I actually like it more now because you never see them!!!!

·
I might be dumb, but I’m not stupid!
1,297 Posts
I had a couple of problems with my beaver. first it is a major PIA to stud it. second, in low snow conditions the sled would continually over heat, seems when riding in low snow conditions not enough would make it to the front of the tunnel and hit the heat exchanger it would all what little snow there was would stick to the platic beaver tail and eventually close off most of the room for new snow to get through. It kinda sucks when your buddies on their older sleds were giving you a hard time because their sleds werent over heating and mine was

Needless to say I liked my 03 but upgraded to an 05 to eliminate this problem

·
Registered
434 Posts
xdude said:
I had a couple of problems with my beaver. first it is a major PIA to stud it. second, in low snow conditions the sled would continually over heat, seems when riding in low snow conditions not enough would make it to the front of the tunnel and hit the heat exchanger it would all what little snow there was would stick to the platic beaver tail and eventually close off most of the room for new snow to get through. It kinda sucks when your buddies on their older sleds were giving you a hard time because their sleds werent over heating and mine was

Needless to say I liked my 03 but upgraded to an 05 to eliminate this problem
[snapback]698847[/snapback]​
I've got an 03 that I was thinking of putting a delete kit on so I could go with 1.325 studs instead of the 1.075 with the 1" track.

But the overheating thing. This is the first time I've heard of overheating w/ the Beaver Tail. From all if read, most guys that went with the delete kit ended up going back and putting a longer heat exchanger to make up for less snow staying in the tunnel area. Hmm.

·
I might be dumb, but I’m not stupid!
1,297 Posts
I rode it both ways, with a delete kit and with the Beaver. it overheated too much either way in my opinion, I actually like the look but there has to be a reason doo went away from it after only one year

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Melonbob said:
Don't listen to them!!! LOL The beaver works fine in the powder, at least as fine as any other sled with a 1" by 121" track. I ride with an mxz 583, a viper 700 and a couple of cats, and I've never had a problem with my tunnel clogging up. I've also never been stuck in an area where they've gotten by me. The only reason I can see for getting rid of it is cosmetics, and I actually like it more now because you never see them!!!!

[snapback]698727[/snapback]​
B.S. If you ride REAL powder you will experience the snow clearing issues, especially if you end up in any wet/heavy snow. There just isn't room for it to clear out fast enough. One thing may be that you're running a 1" lug, we were running 1.75 for real mountain/powder use, and you probably aren't riding 10+ feet of snow either.

·
Registered
605 Posts
B.S. If you ride REAL powder you will experience the snow clearing issues, especially if you end up in any wet/heavy snow. There just isn't room for it to clear out fast enough. One thing may be that you're running a 1" lug, we were running 1.75 for real mountain/powder use, and you probably aren't riding 10+ feet of snow either.
[snapback]698977[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Not trying to be offensive, but if you are riding in 10+ feet of snow like you claim, and you have a 1.75 lug, you bought the wrong sled......get a summit like everyone else does. What I said was my beav performs as well as any other 1" x 121" tracked sled.....I never tried to compare myself to a 1.75" or anything else. And if ya want, I can show ya the 5' of snow in my front yard, I'm sure I'm the only place in Canada with that much right now......

·
Registered
605 Posts
8 days ago, I would have had too, but man have we been getting dumped on. Over 40cm last sunday, and another 40 this weekend, with more coming down as we speak,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Melonbob said:
[snapback]698977[/snapback]​
Not trying to be offensive, but if you are riding in 10+ feet of snow like you claim, and you have a 1.75 lug, you bought the wrong sled......get a summit like everyone else does. What I said was my beav performs as well as any other 1" x 121" tracked sled.....I never tried to compare myself to a 1.75" or anything else. And if ya want, I can show ya the 5' of snow in my front yard, I'm sure I'm the only place in Canada with that much right now......

[snapback]699253[/snapback]​

I wouldn't even think twice of riding a crappy beavertail right now especially in powder. You my son are behind the times. I am talking the first year when REV came out we all rode them up here in the mountains because they were the new thing. I happened have owned 2 summits at the time. I personally rode the REV then and rode with friends who had them. They did not do well in the deep stuff with no real hard base. I have owned summits since 1999. That beaver tail is 4 seasons old, why in the world would I choose to ride one now in deep snow when long track REVs are everywhere? The first year they came out you had no choice, if you wanted to ride a REV you rode what was available then. I don't care if you have 5' it still doesn't change that the beaver is fair at best in powder. I'm not talking loose snow on trails either.
[/quote]

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I like the beavertail on my 03! I have to agree with Melonbob that it does not cause a performance issue for what I would call normal conditions for any short track sled. I can't speak for riding in 10' of powder but I would think any 121 sled would not work good in this case. I have considered a beaver delete kit but only because I would like to be able to carry the extra gas can on the back.

As far as appearance goes I personally think the beaver tail looks excellent with the rest of the Rev styling. I have only had my 03 800X temp light come on momentarily while riding a back woods road that was all ice. I also have never had the clogging up experience.

Deleting the beaver tail has its problems. Here are the pros and cons IMO:

Pros-
1. Can carry the extra gas can on the back.
(That is the only Pro for me!)

Cons-
1. The cost of adding a beaver delete kit including the bumper, flap, and plastic, and a longer heat exchanger is close to $800.00 (you might as well trade for an 04)
2. If you add a delete kit w/o adding a long heat exchanger no dealer will take your sled in trade and no Doo'er that knows what he is getting into will buy your sled.
3. Your sled will be 10 lbs heavier with the delete kit, longer exchanger, and extra coolant.
4. If you have a 1 + 1 seat you will need to buy a new bracket for it.

I dunno, I want to carry the extra gas can but cannot justify $800 or $900 to do it!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I did my delete for about 300. The extra cooling is only necassary if you ride in areas where marginal conditions are present a lot of the time. Why would it over heat any more without the beaver on?? Mine didn't over heat except once in 2 seasons and it was the last ride of the year on a 3 mile plowed icy road. For peace of mind maybe the extra cooler is nice but far from necassary. I had an electric temp gauge and was fine riding it all over central Maine. Sold it no problem without the extra cooler. It just comes down to what you like on your sled. If the beaver was so great why did it have a 1 year run??

·
Registered
605 Posts
skidoo said:
I did my delete for about 300. The extra cooling is only necassary if you ride in areas where marginal conditions are present a lot of the time. Why would it over heat any more without the beaver on?? Mine didn't over heat except once in 2 seasons and it was the last ride of the year on a 3 mile plowed icy road. For peace of mind maybe the extra cooler is nice but far from necassary. I had an electric temp gauge and was fine riding it all over central Maine. Sold it no problem without the extra cooler. It just comes down to what you like on your sled. If the beaver was so great why did it have a 1 year run??
[snapback]699886[/snapback]​
Cause nobody liked how it looked, and thats the ONLY reason. I was never saying it would run with any powder machine, what I said is it will perform as well in the powder as any other 1"X121" track. Period. Now can we all quit flogging this dead horse and just get along??? Wheres the love man?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I just have one question, maybe 2 or 3. What was the purpose of the beavertail? What was the whole idea behind the design of the beavertail? and why was the cooler so short? Maybe because the beaver was supposed to hold extra snow in to make up for cooling when the smaller cooler was used? So... how can it hold in more snow for cooling but clear snow out as well as a conventional design. It can't. OK I'm done

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,220 Posts
Melonbob said:
Cause nobody liked how it looked, and thats the ONLY reason. I was never saying it would run with any powder machine, what I said is it will perform as well in the powder as any other 1"X121" track. Period. Now can we all quit flogging this dead horse and just get along??? Wheres the love man?

[snapback]701867[/snapback]​
I ran my 600 HO both ways. In most conditions there was no noticeable difference, but in heavy, deep, wet snow the beavertail if definitely a detriment on a stock 121" sled. In dry fluffy stuff it's not so noticeable but in the heavy stuff it's like dragging an anchor behind the sled.

A shorty is already at a disadvantage in the deep stuff... the beavertail just makes it worse....

·
Registered
605 Posts
Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beaver.....

sorry, couldn't resist

1 - 20 of 20 Posts