Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2017 renegade adrenaline with stock 137” 1.25” track. What is the tallest lug that will fit without modifications? I don’t think it’s worth the $ to extend rails and tunnel to 146”. This is primarily a trail sled with perhaps a trip planned for some off trail riding, hence the deeper track without the major modifications.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t mind swapping a track for the occasional trip and then back to the 1.25” for normal riding.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The larger track Freeride 137 has a 2.25 track.
If you go bigger lug, you need to extend to 146.
What's practical with stock gearing to maintain good trail manners with stock track?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So looks like my options are 1.6” cobra, 1.75” backcountryX, or 2” backcountryX2. Anything deeper is a 16” wide track and my sled has a 15” wide stock track.

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
So looks like my options are 1.6" cobra, 1.75" backcountryX, or 2" backcountryX2. Anything deeper is a 16" wide track and my sled has a 15" wide stock track.
You can 100% run a 16" wide track; your tunnel width is still the same. Go ahead and run 2.25"/2.3" if you want the best off trail performance a Renegade can possibly see. I've got 22/47 gears if you need them; it's the same 2.15 ratio as the stock 2.25" tracked Freeride 137", but uses a 104p chain.

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
If you’re stuck on keeping a 15” wide track, I think the 2” Backcountry track would be a great compromise. Those are very durable tracks.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're stuck on keeping a 15" wide track, I think the 2" Backcountry track would be a great compromise. Those are very durable tracks.
I am open to whatever is the best solution to achieve the performance out of the sled I just assumed that the tunnels and the skids were completely different hence the reason for the two different tracks but if I'm better off with one particular track over another and it happens to be the wider one I'm completely fine with that

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can 100% run a 16" wide track; your tunnel width is still the same. Go ahead and run 2.25"/2.3" if you want the best off trail performance a Renegade can possibly see. I've got 22/47 gears if you need them; it's the same 2.15 ratio as the stock 2.25" tracked Freeride 137", but uses a 104p chain.
If I changed gearing to accommodate the larger lug track, what will the compromise be when I switch back to a 1.25" track for trail riding?

Would a 2" track be a good compromise to run 100% of the time (trails and off trail)? And if so, would a gearing change be needed to accommodate this?

Thanks, Tim

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
If I changed gearing to accommodate the larger lug track, what will the compromise be when I switch back to a 1.25" track for trail riding?

Would a 2" track be a good compromise to run 100% of the time (trails and off trail)? And if so, would a gearing change be needed to accommodate this?

Thanks, Tim
Any time you run lower gearing to properly accommodate the taller lug track...or for any reason, you'll risk running out of gear if you like holding it wide open on the trail. I did even with a 1.75" and stock 23/45 gearing. If you do the taller track without the gears, your belt will hate life. You have to pull the gears whenever you change a track, so I'd look at that as a non issue.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How would I calculate a gear ratio needed if I were to just run a 2” track 100% of the time. Top speed is not important to me. I ride all day and rarely exceed 65mph and if I do it’s a few seconds. Just don’t have any interest in clamping it and holding it there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any time you run lower gearing to properly accommodate the taller lug track...or for any reason, you'll risk running out of gear if you like holding it wide open on the trail. I did even with a 1.75" and stock 23/45 gearing. If you do the taller track without the gears, your belt will hate life. You have to pull the gears whenever you change a track, so I'd look at that as a non issue.
Is there a set that would only require gear change, and maintain the original chain? I don't mind swapping gears either...just curious if gears for the taller lug track would require a different chain as well.

Thanks, Tim

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
Is there a set that would only require gear change, and maintain the original chain? I don't mind swapping gears either...just curious if gears for the taller lug track would require a different chain as well.

Thanks, Tim
Talk to Dynamo Joe; he's an excellent resource for this kind of stuff, and has gearing & chain combo chart on his website. Not sure what chain your machine has. For example, my Freeride 137" was originally equipped with 23/45 gears (1.96 ratio) and 1.75" track. It used a 104 pitch chain. I wanted to gear it down to the 2.15 ratio that the Freeride 137" sleds used that came with the 2.25" track, but they used a shorter 102 pitch chain and 21/45 gears. I found that if I used 22/47 gears, it would give me the same ratio, but let me keep a 104p chain.

I would shoot for a ratio that would hover around that 2.15 area, myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but I'm in the process of installing the x2 (2" lug) track on my 2017 renegade adrenaline 850. I have the new track and original drive shaft in place but have to take it back out to remove the tunnel protector. Which is no big deal. What I don't want to do is order the new clutch kit and chaincase parts and find out when I get to Maine that the track is too big. So does anyone have an absolute answer on this. Also does the summit 850 have a smaller drive shaft (cogs) that I can use to free up some space in there. Any suggestions on what to do next (gearing, clutching, all that). To make this a good sled for off trail riding this year. I'm trying to hold off on a new sled until next year. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Something not to be overlooked are skis. I find wider deep snow skis make a big difference keeping the sled floating in deeper snow and work fine on trails.

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
Ok so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but I'm in the process of installing the x2 (2" lug) track on my 2017 renegade adrenaline 850. I have the new track and original drive shaft in place but have to take it back out to remove the tunnel protector. Which is no big deal. What I don't want to do is order the new clutch kit and chaincase parts and find out when I get to Maine that the track is too big. So does anyone have an absolute answer on this. Also does the summit 850 have a smaller drive shaft (cogs) that I can use to free up some space in there. Any suggestions on what to do next (gearing, clutching, all that). To make this a good sled for off trail riding this year. I'm trying to hold off on a new sled until next year. Thanks in advance.
I believe all of your questions have already been answered in this thread.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Something not to be overlooked are skis. I find wider deep snow skis make a big difference keeping the sled floating in deeper snow and work fine on trails.
What skis are you using ,i find the stock DS 3 to be to narrow . This is on my 2018 summit 850 .

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
With the 2" track. Your stock Renegade clutching should work fine.

Just a lower gear ratio is needed when adding a taller lug.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts