Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
He is a veteran in the Side by Side world and has been working on the same basic engine architecture for years so I would say it's a very viable option and his honesty in HP claims is refreshing. He currently has 3 options with more to come undoubtedly.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
This is the route I would take if I were doing it again. John is a wealth of knowledge, knows the platform inside out and has been out testing the products non stop. He's working on his drop in wheel package right now.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im about ready to pull the trigger on the "Green wheel package". I dont know if its worth the extra money running 91 octane. Not sure I want to run around with a can of octane boost in my sled.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Im about ready to pull the trigger on the "Green wheel package". I dont know if its worth the extra money running 91 octane. Not sure I want to run around with a can of octane boost in my sled.
Should be able to run 18-19lbs on 91 with proper timing on the green wheel which is a real 230 ho or so. My complete green wheel setup is for sale.

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
looks like i not the only one changing turbos like underwear...

Reactions: landodude

·
Registered
937 Posts
Before you make your final decision another option may be the MCX250 kit to be released mid February. 250hp on 93/94 pump utilizing a Mitsu 16t turbo, header, intercooler and exhaust. Pricing should be very similar to the green wheel package but with a lot more hardware which will allow 93/94 pump to support the extra hp.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
You are running this engine to 8700 rpm? Isn't that a little high with stock internals? Must sound great going down the lake full blast though.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Does anyone have experience with Whalen Speed? They just released some Pv3 tunes and i'm considering this route. Looking for some feedback.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
If you're looking for just a flash, I think whalen's stuff is pretty sweet. $479 for a great tool (that costs $400 by itself) plus his tune bundle. It's a no brainier really. Data logging and software included.

I paid almost that for my precision efi flash. I bought the tuner from him after because I wanted the tool, and threw his tune on. They feel pretty much identical. But now I have the tool.

Reactions: ecdlmd02

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
No

·
boost junkie
10,601 Posts
250 on pump is very unlikely

so what are they using for engine management

i would like to see the knock log

·
Registered
370 Posts
Before you make your final decision another option may be the MCX250 kit to be released mid February. 250hp on 91 pump utilizing a Mitsu 16t turbo, header, intercooler and exhaust. Pricing should be very similar to the green wheel package but with a lot more hardware which will allow 91 pump to support the extra hp.
I didn't know about this. I think Precision sports is getting close to that HP without revving it as much? Any of you guys with Precision sports manifold/2860 combo know the weight difference between that and the stock manifold/turbo?

·
Registered
937 Posts
You are running this engine to 8700 rpm? Isn't that a little high with stock internals? Must sound great going down the lake full blast though.
Remember that is only a dyno run and not peak rpm for clutching. 8300 is where it makes roughly 250hp and where Erik is running it I believe.

250 on pump is very unlikely

so what are they using for engine management

i would like to see the knock log
I confirmed with Erik that his premium pump is 98 Ron in Sweden which is roughly 93 to 94 octane in North America and that is the octane level required for 250hp. He is using the Bosch ECU and a program from Rotax to monitor knock and timing retard and has stated in the field and on the dyno he has not experienced any level of knock that retards the timing at all using the original knock strategy from Rotax that is in all 900T sleds.

He has tested 95 Ron or 91 pump successfully at 225hp.

I didn't know about this. I think Precision sports is getting close to that HP without revving it as much? Any of you guys with Precision sports manifold/2860 combo know the weight difference between that and the stock manifold/turbo?
I believe the slightly higher rpm (8300) is to maximize hp level on available octane at the pump. The larger turbo can easily provide the airflow for higher rpm unlike the stock turbine that is unable to provide the flow needed to sustain boost levels at higher rpm.

Important notes with this setup is it utilizes an intercooler 3.5 times that of the stock intercooler, dramatically lower back pressure from a header, larger turbo, and free flowing exhaust. With all these areas addressed as well as a relatively rich fuel mixture one can maximize available horsepower on pump fuel with the stock engine. That being said, it is not to be compared to a Precision Sports setup but could be an economical way for those wanting to go beyond a stage 1 or stage 2 setup and considering a green wheel upgrade etc. Always nice to have options...

·
Registered
916 Posts
This is the route I would take if I were doing it again. John is a wealth of knowledge, knows the platform inside out and has been out testing the products non stop. He's working on his drop in wheel package right now.
John was saying the 900T sled motor is the same as the 17 sxs motor.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Up in Quebec, where I do all my riding, I never see 93 octane fuel. I would be lucky to see premium fuel with 91 honest octane. Does anybody know an existing thread that explains how to efficiently increase octane so flashing the ECU doesn't blow up the engine. As is, the highest safe boost would be 185 hp I think.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Up in Quebec, where I do all my riding, I never see 93 octane fuel. I would be lucky to see premium fuel with 91 honest octane. Does anybody know an existing thread that explains how to efficiently increase octane so flashing the ECU doesn't blow up the engine. As is, the highest safe boost would be 185 hp I think.
He has 91 and 93 octane tunes. He is also building his 900t motor to match his x3 motor. Said the x3 is at 450 to 470 CHP at 45 psi

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
PS, I wouldn't look too much at claimed HP. If they are all claiming 16 psi with everything else stock, they are making about the same power. There is little incentive to undersell HP and a lot of incentive to oversell. Your injectors are maxed at about 16.5 psi.

Reactions: Chris Hemmeter

·
Registered
184 Posts
PS, I wouldn't look too much at claimed HP. If they are all claiming 16 psi with everything else stock, they are making about the same power. There is little incentive to undersell HP and a lot of incentive to oversell. Your injectors are maxed at about 16.5 psi.
So do you this Whalen 185 would be on par with others "195" tunes????

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 229 Posts