Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed when not sitting all the way back in open water the sled acts like it is loosing power and I think the belt is getting a little water on it. When I move all the way back there isn't as much spray from the skis and everything is normal. I caulked around the bulkhead and it still happens. Thinking the water is coming in through the hinged area. I might get some black duct tape and try to seal the panel. Any comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
438 Posts
it's called a snowmobile for a reason !!! lol

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
unbender said:
it's called a snowmobile for a reason !!! lol
[snapback]271909[/snapback]​
for real. Will you be on here complaining that BRP made a POS when it sinks in the lake?

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 03 rev 800 works good on water no problem with belt slippage like your saying I ride like I normallly do on the trail when I ride on the water

·
Registered
745 Posts
Seems to me the shroud that covers the belt and clutches protects the belt from water coming in from above. If your belt is getting wet must be coming up from below. Just my opinion.

·
Advanced......dat's how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
XHO said:
Seems to me the shroud that covers the belt and clutches protects the belt from water coming in from above. If your belt is getting wet must be coming up from below. Just my opinion.
[snapback]271926[/snapback]​
I'm not an expert, but this makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
XHO said:
[snapback]271926[/snapback]​
Yea, the cover is open on the bottom and also on the front. I'm skipping open spots when I have to on the local river just like everyone else. No big deal unless you get a wet belt! No way I'd skip on a lake. Just looking for someone who has had a similar experience.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad said:
Yea I have experenced this. If you are planing on waterskiping run duct tape on the hinge and over side vent. Have fun

[snapback]272108[/snapback]​
Thanks for the reply, thats exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I love water skipping when I can. You can see some of them in my Doo Album. I took the plastic clutch guard off and then I put the screen below on to keep most things out. The most I have gone is about a half mile on open water with no issues.

REVBob

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you get water on the belt you will know. Any amount of water will make the belt lose all grip. It will over rev the engine and then sink.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
hey that looks kinda like my panel

Attachments

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
yeah, it is cheap and easy. I used epoxy to "glue it" What did you use?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
What he said, ANY amount of water and you are going to stop. By moving to the front you are causing a huge amount of drag. Move to the back like the avatar above and you are riding on the track and keeping the drag down. I was impressed on the way these cross water,I crossed a pond last weekend and it was smooth, on my T Cat I have gone 1 mile on the water in the summer, I could have gone longer but I was scared and the shore and boat ramp were coming up. I will try this summer with the REV, we hug the shore and can bail out easy and we also have a 100ft rope with a milk jug just in case. We have sunk sleds and had the plucked out by a pontoon boat and running in 1/2 an hour. It's easy when it is not freezing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
skidoo said:
yeah, it is cheap and easy. I used epoxy to "glue it" What did you use?
[snapback]272949[/snapback]​
I used the same thing you did!!!! Epoxy!!! I still think that it was you that I got the idea from. I think tha it turned out very well. Plus you can paint it to match the screens too. I am sure it help to keep the snow out, and I think that it helps keep water out too.

REVBob

·
Registered
516 Posts
When i had an 8
I had to cover the holes around the footrest...that was the only way watter was getting to my belt...all i did was cut up a plastic coffie cover stuck it in...worked well...also to keep the front end up i just set the suspension up for drag racing.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I like the screen for keeping snow out. I try not to do much water skipping. It costs too much if you don't make it. Here in Maine they fine you something like 10,000 a day until you get it out of the lake because of the hazardous liquids that are released into the body of water

1 - 20 of 20 Posts