Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 ski doo summit 600, and after rebuilding the top end after melting down a piston realize the water pump no longer works. Has anyone else had a pump failure?? These things arent cheap $180.00 at my dealership. But it needs to be fixed. So i guess what i need to know is do i need to split the case, or is there another way. So if any of you can give me a starting point it would be great, or even a cheaper way to fix the thing would be better. thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes , you need to split the case. The shaft that runs the pump has a worm gear that drives off the crank, if you dont know how to do it, you may want to have someone experienced do it! You may have also damaged the crank so make sure its checked before replacing the shaft, and always use new seals and bearings, while you have it all apart..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done case work before, just on the older rotary engines. The sled runs great so damage to the crank other then the gear seems unlikely. Is that what you were getting at. I told the dealer to order all the bearing and gaskets that i needed to do the job. I am mechanically inclined so this job doesnt scare me or anything just wanted to make sure that i was heading in the right direction. Again thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yeah the gear on the crank may be damaged, I think its brass. Anyway, if it is you'll need to rebuild the crank or buy a remanufactured crank. Just check it when you split the case. You wont have to disassemble the top end if you do it right.If it's not damaged just replace the shaft and seals,etc. and button down the case halves using proper sealer. You'll need special drivers to put in the bearings and shaft. You may also want to quickly check the pump impellar under the cover in the front of the motor, make sure it didnt melt or loosen, you may save yourself the trouble of tear down splitting cases..goodluck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already looked at the impeller, thats how I determined that the pump was not doing its thing so i think were all good there. Im hoping that the gear in the pump itself stripped I can feel it grab alittle when I spin the clutch so we'll see on monday when I start this project, Just suckes I already redid the top end before I found this problem, would have went out and found an 800 now i have about $400 into it and only have done one lap around my yard. I guess its learning at a cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts