Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Way off topic question….Sears / Kenmore three speed Washing machine.

Drum will not spin.

Motor / gear box / pump ….is a direct drive…no belts.

Top load unit.

Tuesday night while doing a large load of towels, the unit stopped spinning on the rinse cycle.
I was looking at it / working on it last night, when I switch the knob to spin cycle and press on, motor starts, makes a noise like it wants to spin the drum , but drum will not move.

I can move the drum by hand but it is very hard to spin / move. I don't know what it is like under normal operation, I never had a reason to spin the inside drum by hand before this so I don't have nothing to compare it to.

I have the whole unit laid down on its side right now and looking at the inside from the bottom.

I did a search on MSN, and I was on a few washer parts sites, but I haven't found a good trouble shooing list, and the Owner's manual is useless.

Any Input on what to check or look for would be Greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
You eliminated the belt problem with it being direct drive. Sounds like electrically it is fine, (motor spinning). There is another problem I have seen. Under the drum there is what I am going to call a spanner nut (can't remember the official name), that is just aluminum and cracks or strips out. You have to pull the top off, then pull the drum out. The drum actually sits on top of it. You can go to sears parts, type in your model number, and get a diagram of what I am talking about. Not a bad job. The worst is trying to get the top screws back in from the bottom. Sometimes when this is bad it will agitate but will not spin.

Good Luck

·
planes take off against the wind
15,035 Posts
ask the wife - i never go near that thing....

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Common failure on series 70-80 units and probably others. There is a coupler between the tranny and the motor..little plastic piece. It's easy to replace (takes some time, but easy)

Check out part 13

View attachment 48164

If it will agitate, but not spin it could be the lid switch, you can jumper it and see if it works.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have repair a few. There is a rubber coupling between the drive motor and transmission, it could be gone if not then check to see if the electric drive motor is turning the transmission, if it is, then it is the transmission.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
biggziff said:
Common failure on series 70-80 units and probably others. There is a coupler between the tranny and the motor..little plastic piece. It's easy to replace (takes some time, but easy)

Check out part 13

View attachment 48164

If it will agitate, but not spin it could be the lid switch, you can jumper it and see if it works.
[snapback]721654[/snapback]​
Big g....where did you copy that pic / part description from?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Definitely would have to guess that it is part # 13. Just changed mine a couple months ago. Bought the part for $12.00 and replaced in about 15mins. Much better than $200 for a new one. The guy at the parts store said it is common for this to happen.

I believe they call it a coupler....

·
E-Tec Rules
34,045 Posts
what is a washing machine

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
papasled said:
Dontcha just LOVE this board !!!!?!!!!

[snapback]722001[/snapback]​
Knowledge is power...I firmly believe that. With the internet it's more about knowing how to search. There is a lot of useless stuff floating around in my head..once and while I get a chance to puke some of it out.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
Drifthopper said:
biggziff said:

Check out part 13

View attachment 48164

[snapback]721654[/snapback]​
Big g....where did you copy that pic / part description from?
[snapback]721831[/snapback]​
Sears parts website. Just have your model number handy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts