Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been using amsoil synthetic in my 03 rev 800. recently i needed new rings, and the dealer noticed the "break in" coating on my pistons was gone. he said hes seen sled with 3000 mi still have this on the pistions. mine has 1600. he also said he cant warranty my sled next time if i keep using this oil. is this true?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
they cannot require you by law in the US to use a specific brand of oil, they can require a specific type(listed in manaul) so as long as your sled in made to run on synthetic it should be fully covered.

·
FAQ man
3,848 Posts
Your dealer is full of it. They have to be able to PROVE that the oil was the cause of a failure to deny a warranty claim.

As far as Amsoil goes, or any oil for that matter, many opinions abound. But I have used Amsoil products with no issues for the last 9 years, that's about 35,000 miles on the 4 sleds I keep around for myself and the family.

Feel free to search this site, or any other sled site for questions on oil. You can read for weeks and weeks and still wonder "WHICH OIL IS BEST"

Jerry C.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
rmyklebust said:
i have been using amsoil synthetic in my 03 rev 800. recently i needed new rings, and the dealer noticed the "break in" coating on my pistons was gone. he said hes seen sled with 3000 mi still have this on the pistions. mine has 1600. he also said he cant warranty my sled next time if i keep using this oil. is this true?
[snapback]274223[/snapback]​
legend is correct. It is illegal for ANY mfg. to void warranty for brand of oil... As long as you use the correct type of oil, ie TC-w3 certfication as stated in owners manual they cannot void warranty...The name of Act is Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Talk to Amsoil they know all about this law as I am pretty sure Harley tried this same crap a few years back and Amsoil theatened big time lawsuit. Once HD realized this they backed right off..

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
prorevpilot said:
rmyklebust said:
[snapback]274223[/snapback]​
legend is correct. It is illegal for ANY mfg. to void warranty for brand of oil... As long as you use the correct type of oil, ie TC-w3 certfication as stated in owners manual they cannot void warranty...The name of Act is Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Talk to Amsoil they know all about this law as I am pretty sure Harley tried this same crap a few years back and Amsoil theatened big time lawsuit. Once HD realized this they backed right off..
[snapback]274587[/snapback]​
If a specific Mfg (ie Skidoo) required you to use their oil to retain warranty, they would have to supply it to you for free. It is part of the Moss-Magnuson warranty act.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts