Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, Just a heads up that several guys I know got tagged at the torpy at the end of the year for all kinds of things. They had a helicopter chasing guys and officers waiting in the parking lot so be careful. They went through each person's vehicle and gear, handing out fines for no registration, unsafe loads (loose jerry can in box, drinking & driving, and on and on- will your trailer and/or deck pass inspection? They handed out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN FINES!
Here's the worst part, they found so many things that the cops said "This is just the beginning!" and expect to be out everyweekend somewhere this year handing out fines like a cash register at the liquor store on welfare wednesday!
So if your going to the popular spots be prepared, or otherwise just be like me and go where no one else will follow lol!

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Waiting in the parking lot.....They are just now figuring that out. You run right into their trap and they don't have to chase you all over. I'm sure the trailer inspections up there are tougher. Many states down here they are nonexistent.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Maybe people will stop drinking and driving. Personally, I think they should sit out in the bar parking lots. Everone will be safer.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
How can they just go through everyone's stuff ? That doesn't make sence to me.. If they have no reason to how can they ?
Im guessing he meant "looking over thoroughly".

·
I'm Dooing It
3,966 Posts
Hey Guys, Just a heads up that several guys I know got tagged at the torpy at the end of the year for all kinds of things. They had a helicopter chasing guys and officers waiting in the parking lot so be careful. They went through each person's vehicle and gear, handing out fines for no registration, unsafe loads (loose jerry can in box, drinking & driving, and on and on- will your trailer and/or deck pass inspection? They handed out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN FINES! Here's the worst part, they found so many things that the cops said "This is just the beginning!" and expect to be out everyweekend somewhere this year handing out fines like a cash register at the liquor store on welfare wednesday! So if your going to the popular spots be prepared, or otherwise just be like me and go where no one else will follow lol!
IMHO, it's about time! Enough said..........:D

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
So essentially if your breaking the law your screwed. No problems with that.

Reactions: ferniesnow

·
Hooning 24/7
4,409 Posts
How can they just go through everyone's stuff ? That doesn't make sence to me.. If they have no reason to how can they ?
If they have probable cause they can. But then you would have to have done something or they found something on you to conduct a search of property.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Hey Guys, Just a heads up that several guys I know got tagged at the torpy at the end of the year for all kinds of things. They had a helicopter chasing guys and officers waiting in the parking lot so be careful. They went through each person's vehicle and gear, handing out fines for no registration, unsafe loads (loose jerry can in box, drinking & driving, and on and on- will your trailer and/or deck pass inspection? They handed out THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN FINES! Here's the worst part, they found so many things that the cops said "This is just the beginning!" and expect to be out everyweekend somewhere this year handing out fines like a cash register at the liquor store on welfare wednesday! So if your going to the popular spots be prepared, or otherwise just be like me and go where no one else will follow lol!
Why would you warn anyone? I would like these buttholes to get busted.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For the most part I don't think there is a lot of guys drinking that much, it's the small things like carrying your registration and proof of ownership etc that no one out here is used to doing. We don't have trail permits, and speed limits like out east, and 95% of the places don't have groomed trails so there is no fees either. You are on your own and most days I never seen anyone but the guys that I came with so as they add new rules and cut back our riding areas each year it is be a big adjustment compared to our familiar "wild west" style where we have always been able to go and do whatever we want pretty much.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone have a cool way to put the registration number on your sled without using the retarded government sticker? Maybe someone who does wraps has a way to do this and not look so bad and stick out or maybe that's the point?? For those who don't know its approximately 6"x 9" dirty puke yellow rectangular sticker with black border and numbers.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone have a cool way to put the registration number on your sled without using the retarded government sticker? Maybe someone who does wraps has a way to do this and not look so bad and stick out or maybe that's the point?? For those who don't know its approximately 6"x 9" dirty puke yellow rectangular sticker with black border and numbers.
Yes that would be nice but they probably do it on purpose!

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
So the cops will be waiting in parking lots to ticket people with non legal registrations, overloaded or unsafe vehicle/trailers,and drinking drivers? I say great. One reason they do it is to catch people with stolen sleds.I'm all for that. And stolen trailers. When they check the ownership and it says homemade, and it's obviously a Triton or whatever manufactured trailer, they can start the investigation right then. That might be your sled or trailer, so have at it cops! As far as getting tickets for no proper paperwork,be legal,it's as simple as that.If thats a problem for you, don't ride. If your legally required to have public liability insurance and you don't because your too cheap or dumb to get it,get off the trail.It's a no brainer.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
makes me happy to be in the area i am, not too much law enforcement for snowmobilers, just as long as you are not getting to rowdy when you drive through town.

G

·
All you US guys should come up here and spend 4 seasons. And just see how bad of a cash cow the O.P.P. and other police departments have become. It is corporate thinking and the bottom line means everything. When you cant go out with a couple beer in a tin boat fishing without getting fined and harassed for floating rope, flashlight (with working Batteries)bailing can, whistle, so on and so on. To boot, Here in the 1000 islands they are driving nicer sea-doos and sea-doo boats then most. I have a friend who lives beside a opp officer and every year him and his cop buddies have a loud drinking party to early hours of the A.M.
Guess what? When he gets up at 7am not one car left in the driveway. nuff said!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts