Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know anything about the early trailers that looked more like a boat trailer? What is there about them that they thought was such a good idea? Has anyone owned one of these and used it to form a actual opinion on rather it worked as intended?
Thank you.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I think the idea was extremely light weight that any car could pull. Some tilted as well as swivelled so you could drive off. They worked well, my father in law still has one to use at his hunt camp behind an ATV.

They were extremely light and just big enough for the sled, and would have been cheap. There was a time when not everybody owned a pick up truck. Downside, they would be dirty, open and no shield. Very small tires, and probably better suited to shorter distance towing. I don’t think people were towing far to ride like today. I think they are pretty neat!

Another friend has the matching original blue trailer for his Polaris. My first trailer in the 90s was one of these that had been modified and widened to fit a more modern sled.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I guess they were just meant to haul skidoo’s locally and not highway use. The base model in that add didn’t even have any springs.

As mentioned, the one my father in law has swivels and tilts, so drive on normally, then to unload just swivel it and drive off.

·
Registered
747 Posts
As mentioned, the one my father in law has swivels and tilts, so drive on normally, then to unload just swivel it and drive off.
I still have a couple of those swivel/tilt single place trailers in the backyard.

Rumor is trailer companies stopped making them because the bolt of swivel mechanism would wear out letting the tongue seperate from the frame. Bad news on the highway.

Checked mine out when I heard about it - not really worn but "Shiny" from rubbing. I can see how they could break with enough use.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Makes sense, thats also why I never liked tilt trailers that used only a flip latch to hold the front down to the pole. The latch is handy as it will lock as soon as the deck flips up, but I like to also have a pin going through the pole. That way if the pole ever does let go, it has something else to hold it together. Wouldn’t be pretty, but at least the trailer wouldn’t be gone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like them.
Small and light weight. I had been contemplating a small boat trailer to get small and light weight as possible. Definitely would use a cover to help secure hood and windshield.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Ouch, I think I paid that range for my double enclosed. Seems over-built for its use, 550 lbs, 3500 lb axle. Better too heavy than too cheap but seems they may have been able to make it lighter and cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts