Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 07 800 and looking to put some reeds in it was wondering wat the difference is between the two, and do reed really make that much difference

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
The boots on mine were messed up so I decided to spend a little extra and get the VFIII's. They've been on there 3 years now (aprox. 5000kms) and still look like new, no flaking or cracking at all. (Just took them out today because I'm doing a top-end).
To be honest, I didn't personally notice much difference in performance. I'm sure there was some gains but nothing that made me go, "WOW!!!"

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just wondering want to get more power but dont kno if i want to build or just leave it

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
just wondering want to get more power but dont kno if i want to build or just leave it
Have you messed with your gears at all yet? That has got to be the best performance gain for your buck, for sure. $20 got me a 2 tooth smaller top gear and that definitely made me smile! Heads are next on my list if I don't upgrade to an 800HO next year.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya put a 1 3/4 on it so i geared the top tooth down it goes good but always want more

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
i have a 07 800 and looking to put some reeds in it was wondering wat the difference is between the two, and do reed really make that much difference
We have both in stock if you need a set. Lately most people have been using the boyesens because of the different boot design.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
which one last and performs better if so or is it just more fuel burnt

·
Registered
279 Posts
boysen will last longer because Vforce is made of like a rubbery substance but i still like Vforce more. Cody

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
boysen will last longer because Vforce is made of like a rubbery substance but i still like Vforce more. Cody
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that VFIII changed the rubber compound and fixed the problems found in their earlier models. Just make sure you don't buy old stock. Like I said, 3 years / 5000kms and I swear, if I ArmorAlled them, you'd think they were brand new.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone but do they really make a difference or they just a waste of money

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think most people switch to either reeds because they worry about the factory carb boots not so much a performance gain.

However I see your point on which is better if your spending the $$.

Not a waste of money if it prevents a melt down!!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I am a Boyesen fan simply because they are a full aluminum intake. There is no potential for a rip or tear that can lead to a burn down. I don't believe in reeds giving any type of a performance boost so to me the Boyesen's are a no brainer over the V-Force. The people that tell you they gained HP either have it in their head or they were also told to jet down a size or two and if they did so all they are doing is running leaner which in turn would give a sense of added HP......but only for a matter of time:) Just my 2 cents.... to each their own....

·
Registered
434 Posts
X2 on Boyesen less rubber content to worry about cracking. It's not worth the risk to me. As far as performance gains nothing your going to notice. I did rejet one size down on the mains so it might of made the throttle a bit more snapper. Still look new after 2 years..my 2c

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just purchased the Rage cage power pack by boyesen. That includes the spacer and a SDI throttle body butterfly upgrade? I always thought reeds made some performance for you.. Has anyone tried it on there SDI?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just purchased the Rage cage power pack by boyesen. That includes the spacer and a SDI throttle body butterfly upgrade? I always thought reeds made some performance for you.. Has anyone tried it on there SDI?
I put them in my '06 SDI and had to add more weight to my clutch. They flow air at a higher velocity than stock. It gives the cylinder a better air charge. With the stock map, you effectively lean the engine a bit getting better performance. The other plus is that the chance of delamination of the boot is gone!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I put them in my '06 SDI and had to add more weight to my clutch. They flow air at a higher velocity than stock. It gives the cylinder a better air charge. With the stock map, you effectively lean the engine a bit getting better performance. The other plus is that the chance of delamination of the boot is gone!
X2 much better throttle response down low on my SDI.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am a Boyesen fan simply because they are a full aluminum intake. There is no potential for a rip or tear that can lead to a burn down. I don't believe in reeds giving any type of a performance boost so to me the Boyesen's are a no brainer over the V-Force. The people that tell you they gained HP either have it in their head or they were also told to jet down a size or two and if they did so all they are doing is running leaner which in turn would give a sense of added HP......but only for a matter of time:) Just my 2 cents.... to each their own....
i bought a set of boyesen's because i thought less rubber was better...had them in got 300 miles on them and a boot tore and had about a inch and a half tear in it..was it my fault could of been when i installed them they went on really hard...so i called boyesen they sent me 2 pairs for free no questions asked...installed one pair rode it 600 miles and sold it..i have the other set on my toolbox..checked them out because i was going to give them away to someone on here...compressed the boot a little bit and there were about 15 cracks in it...so yes theres rubber and yes its going to go bad just like any other carb boot so keep an eye on them....i have a set of v forces in the sled i have now and i am buying new boots for them because the ones i have are starting to blister inside and out...having said all that and if i was buying a new set i would buy a set of boyesen's i think they are of better quality and if i remember correctly u can replace the reed petals if they get chipped or just get worn out..v forces u can not... my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
having said all that and if i was buying a new set i would buy a set of boyesen's i think they are of better quality and if i remember correctly u can replace the reed petals if they get chipped or just get worn out..v forces u can not... my 2 cents
Yes, you can change the reed petals on the VF 111's. Haven't done it yet, but I know they snap apart somehow to change them. Have to look at instructions I guess.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys for all the input really helpful think im gona order up a set of boyesens see how the hold up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts