Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta say, changing the engine oil wasn't nearly the big production I was expecting. I had been considering buying some kind of pump after doing some reserch on here (even the local dealership uses them). Once I figured out it took a 13 mm wrench it went pretty good. Not enough room to pull the wrench from the right side of the machine, took off the airbox and reached over from the left side and was able to loosen the plug. All the oil drained nicely out the center rib on the bellypan. Replaced the plug and started looking for the filter cover. Nice easy access there.

Before attempting this, I was considering drilling an access hole in the pan, but I really don't see the need to now. Yes, I do realize that I was changing the oil on a summer day (and not in the middle of the bush, in winter, during a storm....).

I am by no means a mechanic but I found this a pretty straight forward job. It was a hell of a lot easier than changing the oil on my 08 honda rubicon (you have to drop the plastic skid plate to access the filter cover).

My plan is to keep very little gasoline in the tank, add some fresh stuff every month and run it until it reaches full operating temp. I have been doing this with my 2000 skandic WTLC since new. It has 10000 kms. We just had a look inside the engine with a laproscopic camera and everything looks really good, lots of cross hatching left on the cylinder walls, etc.

·
7,718 Posts
Let's see a pic of exactly how you accessed the drain plug.

I have had to pump the sucker thus far and would like to do a proper drain instead... also do not want to cut the bellypan considering the amount of water I find myself running.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have had to pump the sucker thus far and would like to do a proper drain instead... also do not want to cut the bellypan considering the amount of water I find myself running.

Many thanks.
I'll see what I can do for a pic tomorrow.

Basically, with the airbox and belt guard removed, you can use a 13 mm socket 3/8 drive with a regular ratchet. I stood on the right side of the machine, used my left hand to go under the right side of the engine to guide the socket on the plug. Ratchet and socket were in my right hand, reached under the left side of the machine, once I had the socket on the plug....loosend up nice, spun it off with left hand and voila.

At first I tried just from the right side of the engine, but not enough room to have any strength on the wrench.

I had a couple beers first, maybe I was all limbered up...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why don't you guys just make a neat little patch for a bellypan hole?

·
Registered
586 Posts

Many thanks.
Here' ya go. First, just to show I used a regular 3/8 drive ratchet and regular 13 mm socket

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next, airbox removed, belt guard removed, thre's enough room between the bellypan and oil pan to reach in and easily get ratchet onto plug, and enough room to use some force if necessary.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here's a photo of the space between the bellypan and the bottom of the motor, plenty of room to get an arm in. The aarow is pointing where the plug is. Photo taken from left side looking right. The oil then drains nicely out the center rib on the belly pan. I think anybody that is using a pump shold give this a go. Too late for anyone who butchered their pan...

By the way, would somebody else try this so I know I don't have a machine with a bent chassis or something like that................

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was just responding to those who say they have to suck it out. Also, why does everybody take the time to block out their face? I'm starting to think they moved to Canada to escape conviction or they're just too ugly.
It's kind of nice to see who you are talking to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, do I have more clearance between my engine and bellypan than everyone else? (did anyone else check this out?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts