Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
7,718 Posts
**Please excuse the spelling error in the title, you don't get a chance to fix it if you fark that up!**

I have been planning this mod for quite some time but only now have I actually had the time to do it.

As many V-800 owners on this forum have experienced, when this engine is tipped onto its PTO side, gravity forces crankcase oil out the crankcase vent, into the airbox and eventually, onto the drive belt, which is ruined upon trying to move the sled with the belt covered in oil. Taking a note from the Yamaha 4-strokes, I have routed the CCV hose such that the oil cannot flow through the vent piping when the sled is tipped on its PTO side.

In order to do this change, I removed the small factory preformed rubber hose from the oil/water separator to the airbox; it's about 6" in length. The new vent is about 24" of 5/8" ID silicone coolant hose and it runs from the oil/water separator, across the engine cylinder heads to the MAG side of the engine and then looping back to the nipple on the airbox. I secured the hose with two rubber-lined hose retainers, each one bolted into one of the coolant spigot bolts, as per the attached pics. Yes, I will be getting some more hose loom to address the rub points, just didn't have my entire stock with me last night.

I would highly recommend this mod to anybody who spends any serious time in the bush on a V-800. If you were to get stuck on your PTO side for any period of time, the oil-on-belt issue will cause you problems.

CCV_View_From_Throttle.jpg

CCV_View_From_PTO.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well done. Now maybe you can send a letter and picture to BRP. I surprised they neglected or missed it.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Great job on the reroute LB!!!
I've ruined two belts from those dumb oil spills
, there's no excuse for me not to do somethin about it now after seeing your fix
I got a thick skull sometimes.

·
7,718 Posts
Great job on the reroute LB!!!
I've ruined two belts from those dumb oil spills
, there's no excuse for me not to do somethin about it now after seeing your fix
I got a thick skull sometimes.
Thanks buddy.
I have some hose leftover, want me to send you enough to do the same thing? I still have your address.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've always wondered if you can save a belt with oil on it by cleaning it with brake parts cleaner (toluene, acetone, and alcohol) and then maybe put in in the oven at low heat after cleaning it again with a brush and detergent.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Thanks buddy.
I have some hose leftover, want me to send you enough to do the same thing? I still have your address.
Hold on to it and I'll see if i can find a piece around close first, thanks!
No luck yet on those parts.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I've always wondered if you can save a belt with oil on it by cleaning it with brake parts cleaner (toluene, acetone, and alcohol) and then maybe put in in the oven at low heat after cleaning it again with a brush and detergent.
Yes Brent you can clean the oil off the belt, I use hot water and dishwashing detergent but what happens is the wear edges of the belt cooks to a a hard surface from the slipage if you know what i mean?? I've tried to roughened it up again but it's never the same, the belt is okay to use if your not putting to much strain on the machine.

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hold on to it and I'll see if i can find a piece around close first, thanks!
No luck yet on those parts.
OK then, the blue color is rather ugly anyway, but it is really high quality, soft silicone hose so I stuck with it.

No problem on the parts, I know you have an eye out for me and maybe you can round something up for me in the Fall. The one 440 LT will sit for awhile until then.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
OK then, the blue color is rather ugly anyway, but it is really high quality, soft silicone hose so I stuck with it.
It's not the color bud and it's under the hood anyways but some people are superstitious about certain colors, I had my cabin painted blue inside and my trapping buddy hassled me until i changed it, he said it was bad luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wonder how long it take for the oil to spill if the sled is tipped and does the sled have to be really tiped, like 90%. Anyone have tried to tip it and see when it bleeds, with the hose disconnected of course so nothing happen to the strap?

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder how long it take for the oil to spill if the sled is tipped and does the sled have to be really tiped, like 90%. Anyone have tried to tip it and see when it bleeds, with the hose disconnected of course so nothing happen to the strap?
It doesn't take long when you consider that when you do end up on your side, your oil is at operating temperature and will flow quite readily. If your sled ends up at more than a 75* or so angle, it's going to dump oil on the PTO side. Add in the vehicle weight factor and you could be in the tipped over position for some time. If by myself, I would probably have to fish out my come-along, rig it with rope/shackles/carabiners, dig out the track side and then jack my sled back upright.

This may never be a factor for you, but for somebody like me who finds himself clinging to the sides of rivers and banks from time to time with the chance of falling over on my side, the improved hose routing is important.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I installed LB's modification of the crankcase ventilation. I often drive alone and in extreme terrain, I feel much safer now!
I was recommended the heat protective fabric I put on the hose.

By the way I got exactly the same amount of cooler fluid leakage as on LB's picture, even that matched!

Thanks LB !
IMG_5286igen.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks good too, i will certainly do this mod. It happened to me last week, lost about 1 pint, probalby 1/4 pint in the air intake housing, what a mess, I had to take the air box apart and clean it with varsol otherwise it would have driped forever.

·
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a final update to this thread;

This past week I rolled my 2007 SWT V800 on it's MAG side twice for several minutes at a time, then completely rolled the sucker twice before it stopped and it sat that way for about a minute before it was turned back upright.

I lost no engine oil during these festivities (!) and I proved beyond a doubt that the crankcase breather mod works very well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts