Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got stuck behind a utv on a designated snowmobile trail today . Watched him run oncoming sledding traffic off the trail because his utv literally took up the whole trail .luckily no one was hurt I tried flagging him down to have a little chat but he wouldnt stop. So I said screw it I'm not going to let him ruin my day any longer. So i guess I'm going to add utv's to hazzards on the trail to worry about. I was riding northwestern michigan trails if it matters.

Has anybody else have a situation like this happen?

You know what they say ( you can't fix stupid)

·
Registered
400 Posts
When i was in Albany, WY i got stuck behind a maroon 3/4 truck with tracks on the trail.

That was annoying, but kinda cool at the same time

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Unfortunately I believe there are some trails that are for multi vehicle use which means snowmobiles, ATVs motorcycles are all permitted to use them and some of those trails are in northwestern lower Michigan , in fact back in early January in between snowstorms there was a sponsored ATV etc ride starting at Brentwood Lodge. Those trails that used to be designated multi vehicle use, used to have signage warning users it was multi vehicle use. But due to the cut back in trail signage they may not be marked as such. I know in past years its not uncommon to come across 4 wheel drive pick ups or other wheeled vehicles on trails they're not supposed to be on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I Maine that is all legal as long as it has tracks and is also registered as a snowmobile. You see it from time to time--don't see any issue with it --why is this a problem?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Because here in Michigan especially in the lower....the trails cab get extremely narrow to where traffic both directions is blocked. Couple with that the fact that almost all of our trails are groomed and maintained by volunteer/club funds. It usually bugs us because it is a common thing for us to see complete idiots out with their pick up trucks TRYING to drive down trails they shouldn't be on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
However.......you would be hard pressed to find anyone who owns the tracks for their trucks here. If they registered their truck and had a snowmobile permit AND TRACKS and was NOT damaging the trail system.....then I probably wouldn't be that bothered by it.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
If it's in Michigan, and it's on DNR lands or on county roads, it's legal. If it's USFS lands or private property that's leased as a snowmobile trail, it's illegal.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've ran into utv's on the trail around Higgins a few times. Almost asspacked one that was stopped on the back side of a hill. Around that area its marked no wheeled vehicles. Annoying...

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Here's something that just came to mind a few years back I did see a skidoo snow coach or whatever they call those 2 track enclosed cabin snowmobiles buzzing down the trail in NWL Michigan wasn't bothering a soul. I'm wondering if that's what the op may have seen

·
Registered
174 Posts
Because here in Michigan especially in the lower....the trails cab get extremely narrow to where traffic both directions is blocked. Couple with that the fact that almost all of our trails are groomed and maintained by volunteer/club funds. It usually bugs us because it is a common thing for us to see complete idiots out with their pick up trucks TRYING to drive down trails they shouldn't be on.
Here I guess with 12 to 16 foot wide trails it would be a little easier to see and avoid --but how are UTV's any different then meeting up with a groomer when you are riding?

·
Registered
370 Posts
that's it man you've got your hands on 2017! How you doo DAT?
Here I guess with 12 to 16 foot wide trails it would be a little easier to see and avoid --but how are UTV's any different then meeting up with a groomer when you are riding?
b

Big diferants .... always glad to see a groomer because you know once you get around him it's going to be better riding.

But I do agree meeting a groomer over a steep hill or sharp corner can have its challenges.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
That's why I like my collett communicators they have a groomer warning signal built in providing the groomer has the beacon installed, which they're supposed to. Not always the case tho

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Have seen all sorts of vehicles out on the trails in Michigan during the snow trail season and many times stuck or broken down (dirt bikes, atv 3wheelers, quads, cars, trucks, trucks pulling trailers, SUV's UTV's). Have helped folks stuck or stranded by riding them out to safety and warmth and helped to get the vehicle out or at least out of the way even though I was dissapointed to see them on the trail. I think every time I was offered money for helping which I refused for myself but did accept on behalf of the local groomer club and donated the money to the club.

Is legal in Michigan to operate a properly registered vehicle other than a snowmobile but not on leased or owned by MSA trail sections over private property. But seeing's how I need to buy a trail pass to ride my sled on the trail system I think at least you would have to have a trail pass to drive your suburban, quad or UTV on the same designated trail route if you are going on unplowed area that are groomed and maintained by the groomer clubs and their hard volunteer efforts and all of us who donate, help and support the clubs and purchase snowmobile trail passes. Think you should get a fine if you ride your suburban on the trail without a trail pass.

The Michgian snowmobile association is trying to propose legislation to ban wheeled vehicles on designated groomed snowmobile trails dec1-apr1:

http://www.msasnow.org/2015-legislation-update/

My .0002

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't forget that a landowner can drive whatever they want on those trails. Or someone that has written permission by a landowner.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts