Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

Using to much oil??

646 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  fat 55 
#1 ·
I seem to be using a lot of oil. Not really sure though. I went trough a gallon in
about 225 miles. I thought it was to much but haven't fouled a plug yet. Any ideas??

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 03.5 BM and I am in the same boat. I use about 3/4 of a tank of oil to one tank of gas. I get decent mileage, but oil consumption sucks. I went about 85 miles and my oil tank was between 1/2 and 1/4. I started out with a full tank. Sucks because Interceptor isn't cheap.

#4 ·
My sled('03 800) did great on oil last year but this year it was sucking it down big time, I remembered reading a post last year about the return spring on the oil injection pump getting weak and not returning fully so I checked mine out and sure enough the oil pump was staying in the 1/4-1/2 throttle position all the time. I went to the local hardware and bought the lightest spring I could find that was about 4.5" long and connected it to the pump lever and to the frame right behind the primary. Works like a champ, oil consumption is back to normal. This will increase thumb effort though but

Norm

#8 ·
Follow the cable down from the throttle lever where it goes to a black T then turns into 2 cables 1 gray and 1 black.The gray one goes to the oil pump. go down the gray one until you see a brass nutwith rubber slieve
over it.Gently pull the rubber back to expose the joint between the cable and fitting. Then you gently pull the cable to seperate it from fitting you need to measure the gap between the cable end and fitting to get 18mm-19mm.This sets the amount of pull on oil lever.
This procedure is for 04 an older ,05's are different.
Search on here for picture of this if needed.
Rich

#11 ·
how hard is it to get at the return spring?

#12 ·
Take the airbox off ,I would chk to see if it is returning fully after adjustment before adding a spring,it makes the throttle pressure tighter,for your thumb.
Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.