Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

USI-SPX ski owners

845 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rev me up 
#1 ·
I own a pair of USI's SPX skis with 6" Shapers and I love them except in hard packed snow, where I really found out good these ski hook. Anyway I talked to Rick at USI and he went through things to help on the steering effort. They say to measure 4.5 inches from the rear of the carbide and bend it up about a .5 inch. Next take a 9/16 box end and straighten up the 5th stud. The plastic will contour with the runner. By doing this you take away the rear keel in the hard pack, but it is still there when you go soft. They say the Shaper is just that aggressive, not so much the ski. If that does'nt soot you go to 6" round bars for even less steering effort. They say the '05 Revs are the worst cause Doo really put the weight on the skis this year. Don't be afraid to call these guys, they are more than willing to help. Their number is 765-423-2984 ask for Rick or Pete.

#2 ·
I just went thru this, Take the shapers off in hardpack and put on round bars. I rode this week with the rounds and it helped. Usi spx with shapers on a rev are for powder only. The round bars have plenty of bite in all conditions. I have a used set of 7 in shapers that are in perfect shape if anybody wants them.

#3 ·
captainchaos said:
I own a pair of USI's SPX skis with 6" Shapers and I love them except in hard packed snow, where I really found out good these ski hook. Anyway I talked to Rick at USI and he went through things to help on the steering effort. They say to measure 4.5 inches from the rear of the carbide and bend it up about a .5 inch. Next take a 9/16 box end and straighten up the 5th stud. The plastic will contour with the runner. By doing this you take away the rear keel in the hard pack, but it is still there when you go soft. They say the Shaper is just that aggressive, not so much the ski. If that does'nt soot you go to 6" round bars for even less steering effort. They say the '05 Revs are the worst cause Doo really put the weight on the skis this year. Don't be afraid to call these guys, they are more than willing to help. Their number is 765-423-2984 ask for Rick or Pete.
[snapback]275059[/snapback]​
I also spoke with Rick about the SPX's and 6 inches shaper bars, in addition to bending the carbide between the 4th and 5th stud, he said you should(especially if you have a Renegade);

-mount the skis in the rear most hole in the saddle.
-loosen up your limiter straps.
-increase pre-load on your front skid frame shock almost all the way.
-set your ski shock springs to around 3 to 3 1/2.
-move your front outside bogie wheels to the hole towards the front, you will have to drill out the holes that are there.
-set the rear torsion springs block to the lightest or second lightest setting.

I did this before a ride this past weekend, and what a difference it made. I had significantly easier steering on the trails with the 6" shaper bars, and it still turns on a dime.

USI was very helpful in providing this set up information.

#5 ·
I just installed these skis with 6" shapers. I already loosened the front shocks to 3 and tightened up the center shock quite a bit.

Does anyone have a sketch or picture of how much you bent the carbides. Put it in a vice between the 4th and 5th stud, and bend the back up about 1/2"?

Eric

BellevilleMXZ said:
I ened up gping to rounds also, still just as aggresive, yet is a little lighter on the hard trails
[snapback]275252[/snapback]​

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yesterday I decided to follow a few of these recommendations. I wanted to remove the powder plates for riding in the midwest and to see just how much pressure they were putting against the ski when I was trying to turn. I backed the nuts off the wear bars....snap...three of the threaded bolts snapped off just above the welds. *%@.....has anyone else had a set of Studboy shaper bars that were so pathetically weak???? Sad when a nyloc nut can snap such cheap metal!!!

The Studboy shaper bars have minimal usage...95% from powder riding in Wyoming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.