Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer put my front shocks upside down. "edit for bad language" i know, but the clicker is up near the body and the body of the shock is near the spindle. Will it make a difference or harm anything having it upside down? aside from it looking all retarted?

I figured it would actually be benificial becuase it elminates the probability that a drunken buddy could come stumbiling over one of your skis and kick a clikcer off.

Either way, lemme know if it makes a differnece cuz id rather not turn a wrench on the thing if i dont need too.

Justin

·
Registered
212 Posts
My dealer put my front shocks upside down. "edit for bad language" i know, but the clicker is up near the body and the body of the shock is near the spindle. Will it make a difference or harm anything having it upside down? aside from it looking all retarted?

I figured it would actually be benificial becuase it elminates the probability that a drunken buddy could come stumbiling over one of your skis and kick a clikcer off.

Either way, lemme know if it makes a differnece cuz id rather not turn a wrench on the thing if i dont need too.

Justin
I love how your biggest worry is a drunk buddy wrecking your shock
Sounds like you may ride with a few of the guys in my group

·
Registered
293 Posts
I love how your biggest worry is a drunk buddy wrecking your shock
Sounds like you may ride with a few of the guys in my group
well that was one worry but the majority of it stems from the fact that its totally exposed to anything that it may come in contact with it on the bottom. i dont mind them being upside down but it kinda looks out of place. tuxedo t--shirt at a wedding kidna thing.

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
If your dealer installed your shocks upside down....you need to check out the rest of your sled my friend....who knows what else is incorrect. Check all nuts/bolts and fluids. We hear about his every year. Last year many guys had the pro 40 R shocks backwards on teh XRS's.....costly mistake! Anyway, just flip the shocks the right way, it is not hard and that is the way the sled and shocks were engineered to be. Pretty unacceptable though for the dealer to do that...imo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
for some reason the forum wont let me upload the pic, ive shrak it within their dimensions and posted it up in another thread with no issues... so idk screw it

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hello, before blaming your dealer ask him, all HPG shocks are mounted "upside down" The have been that way for years to reduce unsprung weight. All Motion control have to be mounted body down otherwise they will not function properly. They are a gas bag shock and need to be body down HPG are High Pressure Gas, internal floating pistons and work in any direction.
If it's an X it is HPG for sure.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
last year i was watching a you tube clip of a demo on a bc x and they had the shocks upside down on theirs too and i also wondered why they did this well after putting on my a arm protectors i found out why you can barely get your fingers on the knob so i too switched them and 1100 miles later i've had no issues

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
last year i was watching a you tube clip of a demo on a bc x and they had the shocks upside down on theirs too and i also wondered why they did this well after putting on my a arm protectors i found out why you can barely get your fingers on the knob so i too switched them and 1100 miles later i've had no issues
makes sense but their could have been another reason. glad to hear your not having any problems though

·
Rider
667 Posts
Mine is exactly opposite that (same model sled), clickers on the bottom. Which is correct? Techhead mentioned HPG twice with different explanations, not sure I understand completely.
body up is the way the shock is supposed to be, thats how it is on my sled (obviously, i cant put my PRO 40R's upside down) and its the same way on my dad's '06 MXZ X. so i'd keep your shocks body up if i was you IMO..

·
Registered
535 Posts
If they are upside down, it would make a difference, notice how when you push down on the front of your sled its harder to move the suspension than it is when pulling it up. Upside down shocks would be doing the opposite, which I think would negatively affect performance

·
Backcountry Shredder
1,235 Posts
they are upside down for sure and they are mounted incorrectly. you need to flip them. if you do not feel comfortable doing it yourself then take it back to your dealer but they need to fixed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The dealer does not mount the shocks. This was a factory mistake. If your dealer is close take the sled back and have them go over the sled.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If they are upside down, it would make a difference, notice how when you push down on the front of your sled its harder to move the suspension than it is when pulling it up. Upside down shocks would be doing the opposite, which I think would negatively affect performance
Not very sound logic. But nice try!

·
Registered
635 Posts
It doesn't matter for an ifp shock which way it is mounted, it will work as good either way. In a good laboratory you could probably prove a difference in handling from minimizing unsprung weight but I'm quite sure that no one on here could feel the difference.

·
Registered
2022 renegade 600efi
98 Posts
If the gas charge is isolated from the oil then it should not matter. During piston travel you want only oil to be forced through the valves so they must remain bathed in only oil. If the gas and oil are mixed in the same chamber then I would think that gravity would then become important relating to valve position and performance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the gas charge is isolated from the oil then it should not matter. During piston travel you want only oil to be forced through the valves so they must remain bathed in only oil. If the gas and oil are mixed in the same chamber then I would think that gravity would then become important relating to valve position and performance.
about time you chimed in... thanks for the insight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts