Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen some revs with the front shocks on upside down, what advantage does this have.

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
none

Unless the shock has been designed to run with the body down, you're doing nothing but hindering performance by running them upside down. I suspect the guys running them upside down have also installed one of those power robbing cans.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I hope ttabs will chime in here, because this was one of his suggestions on his Modification post. According to him it helps it absorb the impact by putting the spring, closer to the A-Arms where all the brunt force is being directed to. Hopefully he will chime in if this has any negative effects.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Well in theory you have less unsprung weight. The shock body is not moving, only the rod moves. Dont think its noticeable though.....

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
biggziff said:
none

Unless the shock has been designed to run with the body down, you're doing nothing but hindering performance by running them upside down. I suspect the guys running them upside down have also installed one of those power robbing cans.
[snapback]714435[/snapback]​
Not sure what you consider upside down, but when you run with shaft down (mounting to lower Aarm) this is done to reduce unsprung weight... I agree it is negligble for performance but technically it is less unsprung weight and that does make a difference!!!!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
It was because of a meatball mechanic that didn't know the difference. I've also seen plenty of piggybacks on short tracks that have been put on backwards.

·
Just doo it.
690 Posts
biggziff said:
none

*%@ DOES THAT MEAN?!?! jk, cans rule though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Cans rule if you want to loose weight.

Most cans loose hp, not all but most.

Cans adds noise, not most but all.

//Tom

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unsprung weight, huh, what the heck does that mean. thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mine came that way too. Was wondering why... I thought it was a mistake, but not if so many others came that way too... I see ideas, but any tech data?

Unspring weight... Like the weight if the shocks is under the springs insteas of on top. Makes a little sense, but not much weight and heavier springs would compensate....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
biggziff said:
none

Could you explain how performance would be hindered?? Ahhh, so many experts, so little time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Seems like a trade-off to me.

"Right side up" somewhat shelters the shaft in the sled body but gives greater unsprung mass which theoretically decreases performance for inertial reasons. Wonder if this is as important in a sled as it is in a wheeled vehicle...?

aarm3.jpg

"Upside down" looks like it would expose the shaft to pitting from ice and stones, jeopardizing the shock seal. Probably best to cover these like inverted fork tubes on a dirt bike. As mentioned, can you feel a performance improvement - especially in a mountain sled that rides in powder?

Probably not worth losing sleep over either way!

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
THE ABOVE COMMENT IS CORRECT. THE ONLY CONCEARN IS THE SHOCKS MUST BE HIGH PRESSURE GAS CHARGED TO RUN WITH THE SHAFT DOWN. MOST REVS HAVE HPG SHOCKS SO IT ISNT A CONCEARN BUT OLDER SLEDS WITH STANDARD OIL BATH SHOCKS WILL HAVE A DEAD SPOT AT THE START OF THE TRAVEL BECAUSE THERE IS NO OIL AROUND THE SHOCK VALVE SO IF YOUR SHOCKS ARE HPG RUN THE WITH THE SHAFT DOWN IF STANDARD OIL BATH SHOCKS DO NOT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts