Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Old school trick to keep that upper chaincase / right side ( mag side) jackshaft bearing lubed:

Drill two small holes in the seal. One to let oil seep in, one to let it out. Don't push on the drill when making the holes... just let it lightly go through the seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The seal on the other side of the bearing will keep oil from going out. If the outer seal fails, you still will only have the slightest seep of a leak since the holes you drilled are so small and oil only splashes past them.

·
Always wrenching on toys
1,477 Posts
I've never had that bearing fail? Has this bearing failed for others? Interesting idea for sure.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just pull the seal ,done. Never lost that bearing
I've done it that way too. Found the holes were better in case the outer seal starts to leak (keeps you your "leak poetential" down to a unnoticeable seep).

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Pop the seal on the other side (outer) which was how they ALL OEM up until ???
That's how I always run them and never had a failure.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
The seal on the other side of the bearing will keep oil from going out. If the outer seal fails, you still will only have the slightest seep of a leak since the holes you drilled are so small and oil only splashes past them.
There's an oil seal in pressed into the case behind the bearing to prevent oil from coming out. The bearing isn't the seal for the case.
You can run it with both bearing seals removed (not recommended) and it won't leak. Well unless your case / jackshaft seal has taken a dump.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Why unseal a sealed bearing? Trying to fix something that aint broke? I think NHSM is on with his perception. I've had the jackshaft bearing fail before - it was an arctic cat so that explains it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I'm sure there will be skeptics, that is OK, I have no delusions of convincing everyone :)

But for the rest out there, I would respectfully argue that doing this will let some oil in, but keep any big pieces of debris out. It will also minimize leaks if you have a problem with either of the seals on the other side (gaboon is right). This has worked great for me.

When you are trying to put 20,000 miles or more on a sled, every little bit of extra lube helps! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes that bearing does fail. I just had one fail 30 miles from town in Clova Quebec.

10,060 miles. My machine was under warranty. I lost 6 days of my vacation.

The dealer said it was uncommon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Clova eh. My dad went to Clova.. never again. Town supplies come in on a train that doesn't even stop. No wonder you lost 6 days of vacation.

Anyway on my 06 rev my lower chain case bearing only had 1 seal. I've since changed it and it now has 2 seals.

·
Sponsor
2,212 Posts
Old school trick to keep that upper chaincase / right side ( mag side) jackshaft bearing lubed:
Drill two small holes in the seal. One to let oil seep in, one to let it out. Don't push on the drill when making the holes... just let it lightly go through the seal.
Interesting...I've heard of guys drilling crank cases to run traditional bearings with no ISO, but never seen this one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts