Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading from my 04' renegade 800 after the winter is over this year. I'm looking at moving up to something like an 2011 or 2012 XP. I have been hearing a lot of not good things about the 800etecs. I'm not sure exactly what the problems are but would like some advice on buying one and what I should be aware of. Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
Where do people always hear these "not so good things'.

Never had a problem with any of my sleds. 600's or 800's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hear everyone talking about them blowing up. Is this a real issue or just the same as any two stroke? I know there was a recall on them.

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
IMO you get guys that talk bad about them either way whether it was a good engine or not. I dont have the numbers but i would like to see each 800 built compared to the problem ones.

·
Registered
60 Posts
if you scroll the pages in this section.. it does get kind of depressing lol. but, 4500 mi. on my 13 800x and never touched it other than general maintenance, been bulletproof and i wouldn't say I'm easy on it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
there is also the option of a new 600 carb for 2017 rene or mxz or summit.. I have a mxz carb and love it!.. its one of those situations 800 used and someone else's problems or a new one under warranty that you can treat how you like.. unless there is a ton of highspeed lake running involved I say the sport carb is the best sled value on the snow! consider it new as opposed to a used 800.. the carb will do 90 all day.. its new and bulletproof.. how fast you want to go? go with a new carb.. price is too good!

·
Banned
59,630 Posts
That's a good statement to ^^

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
An 800 with 3500 miles or a 1200 with 10,000 miles?

My bet would be getting another 3500 miles on the 1200 before you would get them on the 800.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
The newer (12-16) E-TEC 800s are very good engines. 12s were subject to a free piston upgrade (make sure it's been done). 2012 was when they began indexing the clutches to the crank which made a big difference in smoothness and durability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great info everyone. This has been very helpful. I'm looking to spend around $7000 - $8000. I'm in Ontario.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
Everyone is quick to post the negative comments on the 800 e-tec.

But there are probably 5 times as many positive comments.

As they say......when everything works great, no one says a word. But if 1 thing goes wrong, everyone has something to say about it.

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Everyone is quick to post the negative comments on the 800 e-tec.

But there are probably 5 times as many positive comments.

As they say......when everything works great, no one says a word. But if 1 thing goes wrong, everyone has something to say about it.
By your words that is a 80% success rate.......that is still a 20% failure rate.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
12000kms on my 2011 mxzx800 and just had my first tow home due to a bad stator. I do always hear about the 800 etec a being bad but that's not my experience at all.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
By your words that is a 80% success rate.......that is still a 20% failure rate.......
I admit........I doo not know the exact numbers.

I was just making a general statement about failures being reported way more than success.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Fwiw I love my 12. It has 5500 miles. I bought it 2 seasons ago for 7000 at 4200 miles before top end update.

Only 400 miles on the update and runs absolutely flawless

1 - 20 of 24 Posts