Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All this belt talk in the other thread got me thinking about venting for my recently purchased 2017 850 Renegade. How can I tell if the update has been done visually & what else should I do for additional venting if necessary to hopefully avoid some of the carnage from the other thread?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
not all 850s chew up belts, but if you’re concerned the vent kit is one step you can take to correct it. The other is clutch alignment and maybe that little red donut bushing.

you can tell if your clutch has the vent kit by looking at the left side engine panel. It will have a vent running from top to bottom

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Font

·
Registered
508 Posts
All this belt talk in the other thread got me thinking about venting for my recently purchased 2017 850 Renegade. How can I tell if the update has been done visually & what else should I do for additional venting if necessary to hopefully avoid some of the carnage from the other thread?
I did it to my 2017 renegade. Well worth the price (under $80 I believe) clutches run much cooler. I have never alligned my clutches, I have only blown 1 belt in 6500km and since I switched to the xs821 belt none...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous owner did something to mine, it has a frog vent & a big hole cut out of the clutch cover so I'm not sure if it makes sense to install the update kit or not now.
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Triangle Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Triangle Automotive tire
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
508 Posts
The previous owner did something to mine, it has a frog vent & a big hole cut out of the clutch cover so I'm not sure if it makes sense to install the update kit or not now.
View attachment 1979960
View attachment 1979961 View attachment 1979960 View attachment 1979961
That will probably help but not do as much. The kit has a piece that attaches to the side panel itself that pipes air out right from the new clutch cover that also has a bigger hole... Just try it out. If the clutches are so hot you can't put your hand on them after riding for a bit you might have an issue. Mine used to get extremely hot

·
Registered
106 Posts
My sled (like yours) had the hole cut, and the venting done...but bigger vents and front vents as well.

A friend of mine had no hole and no vents. We bought one kit and split it between us...I got the new clutch cover with (really) big hole, he got the ducted vent. We'll both probably get ~80% of the results, for half the cost.

The main point is that before this, with a bone stock '18 (or '17), there is almost no airflow through the whole engine bay. And the engine, cluches, and exhaust all get friggin HOT. Even adding just the slightest bit of cold air makes a massive difference. So in mine, I now have tons of cold air flowing through the panel from front to back, with a huge hole in the new clutch cover to scoop it up. On his, he now has a vent that will suck in cold air and aim it directly at the secondary (albeit through a smaller hole). But the way convective cooling works, even a tiny breeze makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the responses, does anyone have the part number to the update kit? I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just replaced the 571 with a new 391, the 571 looked perfect but I'd rather not take a chance so it made sense to just replace it when I went through the sled preseason this year, adding the kit seems like the smart thing to do as well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I appreciate all the responses, does anyone have the part number to the update kit? I'd rather be safe than sorry. I just replaced the 571 with a new 391, the 571 looked perfect but I'd rather not take a chance so it made sense to just replace it when I went through the sled preseason this year, adding the kit seems like the smart thing to do as well.
99% sure the kit P/N is 861805531 - call your dealer and double check that that's what comes up.

From what I've (mostly) heard, the 571 is the belt to beat...the latest and greatest, if you will. But I think the 391 does pretty good too. Mostly, it seems to be an alignment and temp issue.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I would do the brp vent kit and the hot rod sled shop motor mount kit and then the alignment

Reactions: fishwater
1 - 12 of 12 Posts