Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
4 trips, 1000 miles in the books for the year..... a lot of backcountry riding in the UP. Post your pics of your backcountry experiences in the UP, and of course no need to give away your riding spots

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is pretty amazing...especially given the winter. I am hoping to head up there in a week for my first and only trip of the year. I would like to maximize the time and dollars spent and ride the kind of places in your pictures. Any recommendations for a guide that I could hire that might be interested in getting me to something like that for a day?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on where you want to go in the UP.... this was all in the greater Munising, Seney, Grand Marais area.... we didn't have a guide.... just adventured and found the spots...... Trails 9, 431, 88 and 7 all have quite a few areas like this to go play... If you're going to the Keewanaw area, i know there's a few guide services there. Not sure on names or specifics... maybe someone here can help me out with that.

Reactions: Mach189

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I get a kick out if the term "back country in the UP". We just call it riding in the UP. City folks gotta love em. 4 trips and only 1000 miles? You boys be spending too much time on the barstools or getting unstuck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yup killer bee. No wildlife life refuge. No pictured rocks except 2 roads. Many parts off the hiawatha are off limits. But hey if there are tracks there it must be ok. Somebody else did it so you can too.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Unfortunately far to many think just that way. A lot of people are followers, if there's a track gotta be OK right? This late in the season if you find an untouched area like in the pics that it was quite possible they were somewhere they shouldn't have been. Especially given the massive numbers of sleds in that area this season.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think there's a misconception here that we were just riding wherever we felt like without regard to property or rules. You are wrong.... the Cabin in the Sky was suggested by the locals who insisted we go see it, so we did... along with about 10 other people who were already there when we arrived. And there were no signs posted on any of the single track trails leading to it declaring it off limits. 1000 miles of riding in 8 days and that makes me a city boy sitting on a barstool? Quality miles over quantity..... you can have your long rides, I'll have my quality ones. Also none of these spots were marked private property, wildlife refuges or otherwise with "no trespassing" or "no snowmobiles allowed" signs. We adventured, but did our homework before we did. We didn't kill anything, break anyone's property or otherwise disturb the beauty of God's creation.

Go back to your cynical worlds now and leave me to mine. If I'm a poor example of a snowmobiler because I enjoy being away from the superhighway trails and bar scenes where people are killed every week, then I'll certainly accept that. I have no apologies for those who are ignorant.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
There is a sign at the cabin. Did the owners tell you it was ok because they are the only ones who can. The sheriff has your pics with your registration stickers. We will see what they think.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The kingston plains is not a secret. Everyone and their brother knows about it and thinks its a mystery spot. The fact is 60% of it is untouched because most just simply dont know where to go.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Kingston Plains are not a secret and I never advertised it as such, quite the opposite. It's actually an off trail destination advertised by the munisingsnow.com website. I never claimed any of these pics were of secret spots, I just said you don't have to give away YOURS, wherever they are.

As far as the Cabin in the Sky goes, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong.... I'll accept that. I was simply going off the word of local business owners who suggested it and insisted we see it. They even showed me where it was on my GPS unit. I'll gladly pay the fine if there is one. We didn't see any signs at the cabin or around it telling us we were somewhere we weren't supposed to be.

I hardly believe I am that rider who knowingly or maliciously attempts to abuse the riding areas in the UP.

All things being equal here, I certainly did not intend to offend anyone protecting the integrity of snowmobiling in the UP. I enjoy it just as much as anyone does. Next year is Keewenaw trips and we have contacts who live near there who are going to take us around.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You are not the only one. Nor do i have a problem with it. My point is you didnt know when you did it and u certainly didnt know when u publicly posted the pic. Lesson learned. KNOW dont listen and guess. Im the king at learning the hard way. It happens.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pic removed, no need to continue the madness here......

Does anyone else have any pics they'd like to share of APPROVED areas they've ridden.... Again, I'm not asking for your spots, just pics to enjoy and share with those who love the off trail experience in the UP.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
"My spots" dont exist unless its private. 7 million acres of puplic land in the U.P. Thats what makes it a special part of the U.S. Because the majority of the country isnt like the U.P. It takes decades to learn so unless you live here chances are you will never see the best of the best. Unless you pay for the hard earned service of a guide. Like Burandt says, if you want to hate riding, become a guide. I can relate to that.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"My spots" dont exist unless its private. 7 million acres of puplic land in the U.P. Thats what makes it a special part of the U.S. Because the majority of the country isnt like the U.P. It takes decades to learn so unless you live here chances are you will never see the best of the best. Unless you pay for the hard earned service of a guide. Like Burandt says, if you want to hate riding, become a guide. I can relate to that.
I get it, you live there and have vast knowledge and your spots don't exist. I need no further education or explanation of your UP credentials. I'm asking for pics, stories and overall riding experiences that we can all relate to and find common ground on. If you can't offer that, then please don't post

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
So now your telling me you can tresspass cause non owners tood u it was ok and telling me what i can and cant post on a site you do not own. Im sensing a common theme here. We have way more in common then not. Id take you out riding for free if u simply asked. Hell take my sled and try it if you want. Thats up hopitality as nothing to do with credibtials. Would you offer the same?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts