Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What causes this? 3000 km and the part by two front bogies is down to the wear line while rest has 75% remaining. Track too loose?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yes that is normal

·
Registered
416 Posts
It depends on what we call normal. Does it mean we're used to sleds having these problems for years
and the manufacturers not addressing them? Do we call that normal? I guess so because we keep on buying
them. I don't know some how that just doesn't seem normal!!

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
I have been riding for 40+ years. Ever since the slide suspension came out back in the 70's, the slides have had wear patterns as you see here. Think about the inertia of the track as it rounds the sprockets and heads for the slides. The track is getting thrown to the ground by the drive axle. This causes a wave in the track and results in more pressure in certain places of the skid. That is why the bogie wheels are placed where they are. Next time your on the lake or really wide straight trail, look over at your buddies sled and watch his track, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

If we all rode very slow, like below 40mph we would notice the wear would be much more even. But who wants to ride slow? Not Me that's for sure. I'd rather but a set of slides every season. Besides that, you need to remove the skid and check everything so you don't get left in the woods by some preventative maintenance that you should of been doing.

Slides are cheap and your labor is free. Snowmobiles require lot's of maintenance, slide's are one of the cheaper item's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you left them on for another 2000mi, they'd look the exact same.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Yep, if you can figure a way to make hyfax wear even, ill buy you a house on the coast.

I love how people expect things to be perfect. Really? Next youll be complaining that your tires didnt all 4 wear identically.

Reactions: sleddingfarmer

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you left them on for another 2000mi, they'd look the exact same.
This guy is spot on. I used to change my hyfax all the time. "Oh my god they're getting thin up front". I've finally realized that they all wear quickly and then stay that way. My 2012 has 5000 miles on it and the original hyfax. They look the same as they did with 500 miles

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
You want to change slides because of excessive wear then ride a Yamaha for a while. I have seen guys use a set of slides in 400 miles they have problems.

·
Registered
68 Posts
All my riding partners ride Ski-doo's now. In the 90's we all had Yamaha's. The last to switch, switched two years ago when her hyfax melted right off and were stuck up in her tunnel. One look at her husbands face, and she was on her way to the Ski-doo dealer. My yammy's always needed a new set every year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Without coming up with a bunch theory's why this is working for me, it seams to stop what the previous poster Bransan stated about the inertia rounding the track drivers. Seams to help bunch in all those bad wear areas. For what it's worth I was going through 2 sets a year till I did this. I'm now finishing up my second year on one set and still going strong. Did this to a friend mines sled too with same results.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts

• In a nutshell I installed the Idler wheel kit (860-200-108) in generally the same location as would be on the SC4 skid. Seemed to work well on the SC4 and being somewhat similar I thought it might work for the SC5, it does very well. I used the solid wheels (I think there are a little tougher) from the centers under the rear shock that came on the sled and put the ones in the kit back in there. Good thing as I did the wheel swap, during the 11-12 season I did bend a wheel, put a good size flat spot in it anyway. Didn't bend or break anything and the sled is now pushing 10K miles, about 6K of it with this kit installed. The kit is installed so the wheels miss the center shock cross shaft by about ¼". Use the support mount that comes in the kit as a template. A tad more work to get at the shock, remove the outer front first then the inner then you can remove the shock, reverse to install, no big deal. I don't know if anyone's ever noticed but it seems the inboard edge of the slides wear much faster than the outside edges. This kit defiantly stops that malady. My guess is it doesn't allow the track to "concave" in the center, if you will, under the pressure of the snow. For some odd reason it doesn't seam to have all those weird wear patterns like before the kit. It's still there but no where near as bad. Same results for my friends 12 gade.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Oh I Gotcha, I Understand. I Don't Think That Would Work On My Sled, Since The Resi On My Shock Would Hit Those Wheels.

But That's A Great Idea

·
Registered
73 Posts
I swapped out my original hyfax (3000mi) when I had it apart for PM. They weren't real bad, but I figured why not? Its already apart and they are cheap. Later on, sled went in to the dealer for some work and I was told that it needed new ones (these ones has 1200 mi) I looked, and they definitely had wear, but I let it go. I will start the season with new ones.

Just like when I had my Apex and everyone on Totallyamaha was freaking about hyfax wear, I think these things wear rapidly at the bend of the rail at first and then they just stop. But if you check them at 500 miles, it blows your mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts