Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to head to the U.P. a week or so after new years on the weekend. Where would the best riding be on the weekend anywhere from Munising east.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
If we tell you where it won't be busy then it will be busy there because you went. :).... It's all busy on weekends

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll be in munising during the week of new years. Anyone have some recommended spots to hit or places to ride? We really want to try and find that cabin in the sky but we dont have our hopes up.

I need to dig up some of those old threads with riding recommendations.

Found it last year, it's awesome :righton

·
Premium Member
8,090 Posts
depending on snow conditions I would definitely consider that. Do they normally see less traffic or about the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
St Ignace is sort of a well kept secret.. They get their fair share of sleds but never seems overly crowded.

The grooming efforts around St Ignace is outstanding. Go to the Straits Area Snowmowbile website for up to date reports from the Groomers themselves.

As stated above--You can head to the Soo or Taquamanen Falls. You can head to Drummond Island (Long Day). Those trails can be rough. (Not groomed by the Straits Club)

If the Ice Bridge freezes you can ride over to Mackinaw Island.

We stay at the Budget Host. The trail is right out back. We also stay at the Super 8. Trail across the street.

Hope this helps.

Don~

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
St Ignace is sort of a well kept secret.. They get their fair share of sleds but never seems overly crowded.

The grooming efforts around St Ignace is outstanding. Go to the Straits Area Snowmowbile website for up to date reports from the Groomers themselves.

As stated above--You can head to the Soo or Taquamanen Falls. You can head to Drummond Island (Long Day). Those trails can be rough. (Not groomed by the Straits Club)

If the Ice Bridge freezes you can ride over to Mackinaw Island.

We stay at the Budget Host. The trail is right out back. We also stay at the Super 8. Trail across the street.

Hope this helps.

Don~
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I shouldn't tell you but the secret to sledding the Munising area is:
A. Plan the route/destination the day before.
B. Get your gear ready and be ready to roll early in the morning...and I mean early.
C. Don't fiddle fart around stopping here there and everywhere.
D. Get back early, before the trails get wooped...sux coming back from GM or Seney on a wooped up Trail 8. Makes for a long day and sore arms.

Finally, get back early and enjoy a brew or whatever cocktail you like and plan for the next days ride. Maybe hit the hot tub or early dinner...ya gotta make reservations at Camel Riders, best steaks in the UP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also, bring your chain saw if you planning riding anything but the main trails. The Thanksgiving week storm knocked down A LOT of trees. Bent and broken trees over the trail is a crappy side effect of lots of early season snow. Ride carefully because many of these broken trees can let loose anytime and produce a hazard in the trail that can impale you. I pulled many broken tree pieces off the trail that the groomer or other sleds knocked down.

If you see a branch across the trail, please stop and clear it before someone else gets hurt.I have a small folding saw that I carry that helps with the branches.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shouldn't tell you but the secret to sledding the Munising area is:
A. Plan the route/destination the day before.
B. Get your gear ready and be ready to roll early in the morning...and I mean early.
C. Don't fiddle fart around stopping here there and everywhere.
D. Get back early, before the trails get wooped...sux coming back from GM or Seney on a wooped up Trail 8. Makes for a long day and sore arms.

Finally, get back early and enjoy a brew or whatever cocktail you like and plan for the next days ride. Maybe hit the hot tub or early dinner...ya gotta make reservations at Camel Riders, best steaks in the UP.
Thanj you

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
We ride out of Seney a lot but it can get super crowded on weekends and hell week.. One weekend last winter Seney, Grand Marais and Pine Stump ALL ran out of gas. Everyone was doomed. 2 hour line for gas at Grand Marais on weekends can and does happen

·
Registered
91 Posts
We ride out of Seney a lot but it can get super crowded on weekends and hell week.. One weekend last winter Seney, Grand Marais and Pine Stump ALL ran out of gas. Everyone was doomed. 2 hour line for gas at Grand Marais on weekends can and does happen
Been there done that...

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
2nd Whore in command
102,061 Posts
Was up there at that time last year, line ups were crazy!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you know how busy it normally is on MLK weekend?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts