Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
well i got some bad news today from my high school friend and sledding buddy. we have been going to the u.p. for 12 years usually twice a month from home in the chicago area. i have a cabin in iron river, mi. right on a lake and the trail system. my buddy just landed a job with the state highway department in illinois, as a equipment operator as in snow plow driver. he has been without steady work for over a year and needed to jump on this job offer. he however is not allowed any time off during the winter, weekends included, because of his stand-by requirements for the job. i however don't want my sledding season ruined because he can't go with. i am looking for someone(s) from my area to go north with. i hate doing the 6 hour drive alone and we have full accomodations when we arrive. i usually leave on wednesday early in the morning to go up and return on sundays around dinner time. anyone interested?

ps, the cabin is modern, has plumbing and heat, also, if your idea of sledding it to go from bar to bar as fast as humanly possible, please don't reply, i don't drink and ride!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would totally jump on this opertunitiy but i am only 15 and live in wisconsin. Lol. sounds like fun though.

·
Registered
934 Posts
well i got some bad news today from my high school friend and sledding buddy. we have been going to the u.p. for 12 years usually twice a month from home in the chicago area. i have a cabin in iron river, mi. right on a lake and the trail system. my buddy just landed a job with the state highway department in illinois, as a equipment operator as in snow plow driver. he has been without steady work for over a year and needed to jump on this job offer. he however is not allowed any time off during the winter, weekends included, because of his stand-by requirements for the job. i however don't want my sledding season ruined because he can't go with. i am looking for someone(s) from my area to go north with. i hate doing the 6 hour drive alone and we have full accomodations when we arrive. i usually leave on wednesday early in the morning to go up and return on sundays around dinner time. anyone interested?

ps, the cabin is modern, has plumbing and heat, also, if your idea of sledding it to go from bar to bar as fast as humanly possible, please don't reply, i don't drink and ride!
6 hour drive. Let me make a suggestion. BOOKS ON TAPE! I am sure you will have no problem finding riders to tag along. Maybe go to a meeting at one of the clubs in your area so you would have a chance to meet ' like riders 'so you don't end up spending 5 days with a bunch of drunks that are so hung over they can't drag their butts out on the trail before noon. I started snowmobiling right after I winterized our cottage in Boulder Jct. about 8 years ago and have been riding with the same friend from the beginning. 3 years ago he slipped on some ice and tore his quad tendons and was out for the season. I had to beg other friends to come up and do a little snowmobiling and once they got there I had to babysit them. It was my worst season ever. Make a visit to a club down in IL. I'm sure you will find some sled mates once you mention you have a cottage in the UP. It's hard to convert "non snowmobilers" into "snowmobilers". Good luck!

·
Registered
804 Posts
For sure im in. Went to the UP a couple times last year. I got a buddy with a cabin in White Pine. We had a blast but it would have been better with someone that knows the area better.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Generous offer totally wired racing. When my buddy and I ride we put in a 200-mile day if possible. One stop for lunch, trail-side potty breaks and back on the sleds.

For you young pups I know that's not much, for a few old farts with many physical limitations it's a respectable day's ride.

·
Registered
139 Posts
totally wired, i would be interested in at least making 1 trip up with you, im in antioch and dont have too many buddies that ride.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I know how you feel. I used to ride with my brother all the time. About six years ago he met his soon to be wife and I have not rode with him since. Have not really enjoyed snowmobiling as much since he and I quit riding together.

·
Registered
242 Posts
X2! Id be interested to in making that trip. I live in fox lake not far from antioch. Dont have many people to ride with around the chicago area.
totally wired, i would be interested in at least making 1 trip up with you, im in antioch and dont have too many buddies that ride.

·
Registered
407 Posts

I am always looking for additional people to ride with. I typically go up north 7-8 times per season but usually long weekends. Thinking about less trips and longer periods. Been riding in the UP for over 20 years mostly in the Houghton
area. Quite a few of the club memebers I used to ride with went from some drinking and riding to some riding and drinking.
I don't mind it for them but that is not my idea of fun. I don't drink at all but don't mind if someone has a couple to enjoy
themselves. I typically ride 250 miles or more per day when in the UP. The most exciting trip was a cross country from
Eagle River to Sault Ste. Marie and back in 3.5 days. We could meet up in Rockford which should be on the way. Do you leave
your sled up there or trailer it back and forth?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I maybe able to go too! Do you tend to go as fast a possible? I try to relax a bit, and just enjoy the time out. I won't drink anything until the day is done! Unfortunately, the group I ride with rides hard, and some people have serious drinking problems.

Eagle River to Sue St. Marie..I have done 350 miles in one day.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i usually ride from first light until dark. my eyes aren't what they used to be so i try to end my riding day shortly after dusk. as far as the drinking goes, once back at the cabin i'm usually the first one to pop a beer or mix a cocktail. i try not to get too fubared because i like to rise early and go. i have had trips where we have had such a good night partying once back at the cabin, that we never even looked at our sleds the next day but that is somewhat rare. i don't drive six hours to not ride! i usually always go north on the tristate through milwaukee, green bay and continue north from there. i doo ride fast when it is safe but am cautious, i want to see my kids when i get home. on the lakes however, you might have a hard time keeping up with me! put it this way though, i am up here to have fun and don't need to rush or worry about the time so i tend to ride at a comfortable pace. i have a three car non-attached, heated garage to warm the sleds overnight and plenty of outside outlets to plug in the block heaters on the vehicles. i doo know the trail system pretty well but also have a gps mounted on my sled as well. my sleds spend the off months in the garage up there. i'm going up next week to get the place ready for winter and will be bringing at least two machines back to chicago for pre-season work. because i also occasionally ride right over the il./wi. border, i will always bring at least one sled back to chicago with me.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Generous offer totally wired racing. When my buddy and I ride we put in a 200-mile day if possible. One stop for lunch, trail-side potty breaks and back on the sleds.

For you young pups I know that's not much, for a few old farts with many physical limitations it's a respectable day's ride.
And one that allows you to appreciate your surroundings .

·
Registered
9,170 Posts

Ha ha ha, Yup, 150 mile day is enough for me, but remember, the trails here are very tight so we average 25 mph, which includes stop signs, gas stop, and 25+ pee breaks on the side of the trail for prostate cancer me, lol.

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,601 Posts
I live just outside Milwaukee, and my brother got married last year, and his sled got sold with the deal. So now its just me and my dad left. We are always looking for new people to ride with.
Normally we will drive for a couple hours, grab lunch and a max of 2 beers and get back on the trail... He doesn't like to ride to much and night cause of the people that party there a$$ off on a weekend away with the boys, and get on their sled and think they are Blair Morgan. we will go to the bar sometimes after a long day, if we don't feel like cooking, and are shocked how wasted people get and then jump on a sled.
we ride a mixture of styles, depends on the terrian. if its pong open corn fields, we rip,beautiful woods, we take it a pitted slower and take in the beauty. I have a place on Pelican Lake in WI, and go up every weekend sledding and ice fishing. we tend to take days off and ride longer during the week when the "weekend warriors" aren't out.
post up a couple weekends, and ill make it up for sure.

·
XPert ss builder
7,272 Posts
If I were only in that area.... Lately it seems like my friends like to do more drinking than riding, I get out with my long day group about once a month and put on some 200+ days. I was on 2 rides last year that were Ride fast to the bar then stop, ride fast to the next then stop, until about 3:30 then they ended up staying @ that 1 for 4 hours. I went out and put another 40 on myself while everyone drank... what a waste of my F-ing time that weekend was...

After my new motor is broke in and jetted trail safe I will be looking for new people to ride with so I can get some miles on this year...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
guys, thanx for the positive responses, it is definetly easing my mind as far as my riding season goes.
as time goes on and hopefully we start to get some snow, i will start to plan trips. if you are seriously interested in going send me a e-mail to: [email protected] when things get rolling, i will stay in contact and we will set things up.......mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
twr,
as you can see, i live here in iron river. if you need someone to ride with, give me a shout. since you usually get here on wednesdays, you should stop by our clubhouse( open every wednesday evening in winter), might be able to scrounge up some people to ride with! let me know if i can be any assistance.

mark

1 - 20 of 193 Posts