Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
The pipes would fit however I don't believe they would perform well without other motor work such as agressive porting, cut heads and even bored carbs. If I were you i'd simple look for an 800r and you could swap all the goodies on your tnt to the 800r.

·
Administrator
8,877 Posts
More power with a single tuned pipe. There is so much more that has to be done to run tuned twinn pipes...

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
I agree that there needs to be more work done to run twins, however you WILL have more power with twins.
Just wont have any torque and the added HP will come at an rpm that will essentially turn that little 109 hp 600 into a noise making piece of crap.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
If you want to get more horsepower out of the small 600; send the cylinders out this summer to be ported, put V Force 3 reeds in it (they work on this engine) and get an RKT head for the octane fuel that you intent to run. This engine has very mild porting and responds well to porting. I had twin crankshop pipes on a 99 600 that had been ported and headed, while they made good power for drag racing; they were terrible to ride on the trails. No low rpm torque. The torque power band where it made power was very narrow. Very hard to stay in the peak power due to changes in weather. While on a lake given time to tune, I could stay with or beat some 800's; on a tight trail, I would get beat by stock 600's. I think I have tried twin pipes on 4 different sleds and always wound up pulling them off for the same reason which was the power band being too narrow.

You would be much better off with your current or an aftermarket single pipe and having the sled ported. Looks and noise do not a fast sled make.

To make them fit, you would have to have special nipples made up for the 500 ss/old 600 exhaust bolt pattern. It is different the 600nRS/600HO pattern. I would not waste my time.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
I would agree with most here, Twin pipes for trail riding is tough. Can be done but alot more time, clutching/tuning. I think you would rather be riding instead of tuning. I would check in with Big John @ Sled Head Racing or Dave Trygstad and get their input. I believe one fast X has done alot of testing and tuning with this motor maybe he will chime in.

·
Mass Confussion
2,988 Posts
Apples and oranges, twin pipes on an XLT were worth 20hp and made the 92 hp triple run the way it should have in the first place. It dont work the same on a ski doo twin.
Yep, would not run very good with twin pipes on a triple.

·
Administrator
8,877 Posts
DJ is right on as always. Great for the ice oval to keep RPM,,, Sucky on the trail for low end.Kids will never learn.. There WILL always be someone Faster.... HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
twins would be fun, however, the motor in stock trim does not run much above 8000 rpm. the twins for teh 600rs are set up for higher rpm operation and timing adjusted accordingly. I'd take the single pipe with porting/head any day of the week on the trails. Plus, you can run confidently into pretty high rpm range with a modded 500ss on a single pipe. My 662 made peak power on a single pipe at 8600 rpm. Twins might have made more, but it was easy to tune the clutching.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Apples and oranges, twin pipes on an XLT were worth 20hp and made the 92 hp triple run the way it should have in the first place. It dont work the same on a ski doo twin.
The triple piped XLT ran great at EXACTLY 9000 RPM. Even a little off the power band and there was nothing. Had to go through the corners with the throttle on just to keep the RPMs up, so I had power coming out of the corner. Sled was a real workout. But fun anyway. Makes me appreciate power valves and a single pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
The triple piped XLT ran great at EXACTLY 9000 RPM. Even a little off the power band and there was nothing. Had to go through the corners with the throttle on just to keep the RPMs up, so I had power coming out of the corner. Sled was a real workout. But fun anyway. Makes me appreciate power valves and a single pipe.
I ran psi pipes on my xlt, ran at 9200 and it was spot on impressive every day, in fact I broke my leg when I flipped it over backwards on a holeshot while setting the clutches up on grass. Never needed to touch a jet or wrench on it once I installed the pipes. I put 7500 miles on that sled in 2 years with the pipes before I traded it on a 96 mxz583

1 - 17 of 17 Posts