Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
My sled is a 2014 MX Z X 600ETEC

I bought it with no studs, I rode about 820K or 510 miles up in Mont-Valin in fresh snow in December and had no issues whatsoever with over heating. Sled ran mint

Brought the sled to the dealer for break-in service as I was getting ready to hit the UP on a saddlebag trip. I had studs installed and picked up the sled and headed to Michigan without ridding the sled.

Snow conditions were awesome and we started out on our trip about 40 miles into the trip I notice the temp gauge starting to creep up and eventually hit limp mode and shut off as it was indicating that the engine was over heating.

Looked underneath and the complete tunnel was basically a block of snow/ice back to front. I proceeded to knock all the snow and ice off and away I went only to find that another 30 to 50 miles the same thing happened. Basically pretty much had to stop and knock out the ice build up for the whole 2000K / 1200 Miles trip to avoid overheating. Stopped at a dealer in Michigan and he said one of his rentals did the same thing.

Bringing in my sled to the dealer this weekend. The only change to the sled was the install of the studs.

Anyone ever seen this or have this issue, the only thing I can see is that somehow the tunnel protectors are causing a build up of ice...any thoughts.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers

Snow Snowmobile Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My 2012 has dealer studs and protectors. And to add the stock flap. Mine runs 3 ish bars all winter. No excessive build up in the tunnel. My buddies put PAM on the plow blades to stop the snow from sticking?

What was your ridding air temp? perhaps you had a perfect freeze in your tunnel?

·
Registered
163 Posts
On my rev and XP sleds if the outside temp is zero or colder my sled temp runs warmer

as ice builds up on the coolers.

If outside temp is -15 or colder the ice build up is worse and sled runs even warmer

and I may need to knock some ice out once and while so sled won't overheat.

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Yup, known issue though BRP will deny it. In cold temps with smooth trails snow stick to the insides of the tunnel. It grows and grabs onto the tunnel protectors, and makes a bridge. When the bridge goes completely across, no snow cools the coolers and it will overheat. You have to stop every 10-20 miles and kick the ice out, real fun. Bumpy trails or warmer temperatures, no issues.

·
Keeping Skioutty on his toes...
2017 Ski doo Renegade 900...2022 Polaris Indy 137 XC 650
31,843 Posts
do you have your rear torsion springs sag set ? the tunnel might be snow injested from the chassis setting to low . just a thought

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, known issue though BRP will deny it. In cold temps with smooth trails snow stick to the insides of the tunnel. It grows and grabs onto the tunnel protectors, and makes a bridge. When the bridge goes completely across, no snow cools the coolers and it will overheat. You have to stop every 10-20 miles and kick the ice out, real fun. Bumpy trails or warmer temperatures, no issues.
Its the only thing I could think of and the only thing that changed since the break-in was the install of the studs. When I stopped it was just one massive block of ice right across but 3 of the guys with me had 2013 800 etecs all with studs but did not have the same issue but they had long tracks as opposed to my shorty

I've heard people wax the inside of the tunnel, I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the feedback folks

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
It's all about the conditions.

The studs will not cause this.

I have had this happen too.

Never noticed this problem until the rev chassis. Short track more than renegades.

Usually cold when it happens. I thought it was caused by the snow flap being tore up from the studs.

If it is the tunnel protectors, maybe somwone should try making some out of a conductive material,aluminum maybe?

I haven't had it happen with My xp chassis yet, but I just bought it last February and I only have 3100mi on it so far.

I think this is a valid topic. Let's see if We can figure out for sure what can be done to alleviate this problem.

Reactions: KrazyKanuck62

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I've had some success with cooking spray to alleviate this problem. The tunnel needs to be clean and dry before you spray it so it's impossible to re-apply once you are riding. It doesn't last very long either but for the first day it works like a charm. Maybe a Teflon spray would be better but not sure what that would be as far as a brand. I don't have tunnel protectors but the ice build up can still be an issue. It was an occasional problem with our 600 e-tecs too. Nothing worse than 5 bars on the temp gauge with tons of snow on the trail.

Reactions: KrazyKanuck62

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had the same problem with the ice build up over the weekend in the North Woods and the U.P it was - 5 to -15. Find a rough trail and or moguls to break out the Ice. I would like to find a solution as well. I have picks also.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dupont snow and ice repellant. teflon based spray

• Snow and Ice Remover Spray helps prevent snow and ice build up on shovels, snowmobiles, ATV's and automotive undercarriage
  • Helps prevent auger jams and chute clogging on snow blowers
  • Lubricates and protects locks and latches used in extreme cold or wet conditions
  • Minimizes snow and ice build-up on gutters and satellite dishes

either that or the PAM trick would work short term, WD-40 supposedly also works though a bit less environmentally friendly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
your tack needs to be able to hit the ice. If it is set to stiff for your weight it will build up. bumpy trails will help but if its set right just jumping on it while riding will break it out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have recently installed the tunnel protectors and lug screws. I am assuming that the lug screws will make very little difference in the amount or quality of the snow that circulates in the tunnel.

I have noticed a significant increase in the snow buildup inside the tunnel. It seems obvious to me that the snow is bridging between the tunnel protectors on my machine.

JMHO

Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah unfortunately thats the gremlin in the tunnel protector... live with it or use some type of non-stick lubricant to deal with the build up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am in the up today, -6 degrees, ice is building up around heat exchangers in tunnel, I have to stop every 20 miles and shake the back end, then I run in reverse and the track is like a conveyer belt removing the ice, I never have this problem above 0, I do have studs and tunnel protector, I'm thinking of removing my studs. Also, the ice build up on sides of tunnel is causing track binding and vibration.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Never heard of this, but could this be why when you buy Doo tunnel protectors, they have the tall piece for only the front of the tunnel and that short piece to fill in the rest?

·
Registered
236 Posts
this can happen when the temp. and snow condition are so and depends on the speed your travelling, knock that big stalagtite off the back on occasion, happens very rare.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's all about the conditions.
The studs will not cause this.
I have had this happen too.
Never noticed this problem until the rev chassis. Short track more than renegades.
Usually cold when it happens. I thought it was caused by the snow flap being tore up from the studs.
If it is the tunnel protectors, maybe somwone should try making some out of a conductive material,aluminum maybe?
I haven't had it happen with My xp chassis yet, but I just bought it last February and I only have 3100mi on it so far.

I think this is a valid topic. Let's see if We can figure out for sure what can be done to alleviate this problem.
We own two 2012 GSX SE 800's, overheating has been a problem since we have owned them. Red warning light often, limp mode with shut down less often. Agree that conditions play a role in the problem, i.e. cold temps and groomed trail. Seems to me that a trail sled ought to able to run on a groomed trail in the cold. We often ride with other couples with different types of snowmobiles, so far we are the only one with the problem. Been back to the dealer five or six times, always asked how we use them, how fast we ride, what RPM's do we run. Object to the attempt by my dealer to make this our fault somehow. They finally contacted BRP, put new thermostats in, one ride since, we'll see. Head in the sand position by BRP is frustrating. Overall not happy.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts