Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I attempted to Polish my tunnel on the weekend and it turned out to be quite a lot of work by hand and I didn't get the result I was hoping for... I used mother's aluminum polish is there something better to use or do I need one of those powerball drill attachments for better results? Here's a picture of the tunnel it is actually a lot less shiny looking in person.

Attachments

·
Administrator - East Coast Tony
900T XRS
55,281 Posts
More elbow grease! :laugh_old:

Mine is with Mother's and all by hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Wet sand with 2000 grit sandpaper, buff with 4" foam pad 3m buffing compound, then repeat with 3m polishing compound. Takes time but will look great for at least the first 10 min of the ride. Then back to polishing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I polished my 09' tunnel too...and now my new tunnel is black, for that reason! They look great, just to much maintenance to keep um that way.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,205 Posts
The wet sand makes a difference for sure. Might be a old 99 ZX but she shines :cool_old:

Wet sanded and Mothers polish by hand. My Summit is done now too.

Once its done its not hard to keep it this way either, just a quick wipe and its good again.

pics 030.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
The wet sand makes a difference for sure. Might be a old 99 ZX but she shines :cool_old:

Wet sanded and Mothers polish by hand. My Summit is done now too.

Once its done its not hard to keep it this way either, just a quick wipe and its good again.

attachicon.gif
pics 030.JPG
Very true, after you wet sand it cleans up sooo much easier and lasts much much longer!

my old 09....

october2013 147.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Use a high speed buffing wheel from a truck shop on a grinder. It takes 1/100 of the time by hand and the wheels only about $30.

·
800ho x
1,170 Posts
xp.jpg

I first acid the tunnel ..then wash it..then hit it with mothers 2 times with a power ball/cone..then finish it with sled brite...wet sanding is the best way but im not into all that lol...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Hi guys I attempted to Polish my tunnel on the weekend and it turned out to be quite a lot of work by hand and I didn't get the result I was hoping for... I used mother's aluminum polish is there something better to use or do I need one of those powerball drill attachments for better results? Here's a picture of the tunnel it is actually a lot less shiny looking in person.
Looks mighty fine to me

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,775 Posts
I have done a couple of sleds. I used aluminum wash found at truck stops. That will pull the dirt out. Then about 40 hrs of polishing by hand with Mothers. You will have chrome like results. The issue is guys think they can get it shiny in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have done a couple of sleds. I used aluminum wash found at truck stops. That will pull the dirt out. Then about 40 hrs of polishing by hand with Mothers. You will have chrome like results. The issue is guys think they can get it shiny in 15 minutes.
It was the running board and all the grips on them that took the longest for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts