Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, ive bought a 1999 tundra r last year, and it doesnt seem to be quite reliable... Just recently, (the past month) ive been running into starting problems. She will start and fire up on the second pull, but then die right away, just like if it was not getting enough gas. I then have to pull the starter cord another 10-15 times, with the same problem every time until she a little warm actually keeps idling. What do you guys think the problem could be? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since you make it sound like this started about a month ago, was it fine before? I'd change the spark plug and check the fuel lines and the little filter in the tank and the rubber carb mount between the carb and cylinder (doubt it's that though). I would also want to make sure the carb is clean, as in take it apart and clean it.

Almost every older Tundra I've come across needs between three and five strokes on the primer. Five usually if it's really cold. I
have a '99 at work and after five strokes on the primer it will fire right up, then I have to give it another one after it idles for about 30 seconds. When the motor is warm, after a ride, I usually don't have to prime at all.

Might also want to put some "gas line anti-freeze" in the tank (isopropyl, seafoam...)Hope this helps, Greg.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Greg, and it only has a primer, the problem is that it fires up well, but dies 2 seconds later like if i cut the gas line... Ill try cleaning the carbs and doing a general tune up this spring, thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Can you keep it running with the primer?

Primer bi-passes the fuel pump, so if you can keep it running with the primer, then your fuel pump is not working correctly.

Check the pulse line from the crankcase to the fuel pump and make sure it does not have a kink in it and that it is securely attached on both ends.

Typically, on a cold start, you have to start it, and keep it running with the primer for about 30 seconds or so until the fuel pump catches up and the motor is pulling fuel on its own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts